Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FPS Mouse Usage

Options
  • 10-12-2003 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked before but for fps games do you for the mouse

a) Right hand normal
    b) Right hand inverted
    c) Left hand normal
    d) Left hand inverted

Do/did you ever switch? and why?

How do you use your mouse? 78 votes

Right handed normal.
    0% 0 votes
    Right handed inverted Y-axis.
    69% 54 votes
    Left handed normal.
    28% 22 votes
    Left handed inverted Y-axis.
    2% 2 votes
    I use an old Atari Jaguar controller (other)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

right handed...inverted...ALWAYS

even though i'm left handed and its not a flight sim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I change from inverted to normal roughly every 6-12 months. I find it makes me think more about what I'm doing and aim doesn't get lazy - not that it's good at the best of times anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Right hand normal, probably due to my excessive use of the windows gui

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Inverted x-axis? Bloody hell, that must get confusing.

Opps. You know what I mean. Eh, mods any chance one of you can change that in the poll please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Should that not be the Z axis :D

Defo right hand and inverted, gotta get my kill on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

inverted? is that like you move the mouse up - the gun goes down? ughh, that's crud.

That's exactly what inverted means in this instance. It's actually quite nice once you get used to it. Seems to make more sense also. You should try it out for a few days and see how you get on. Play for a few hours at least trying it out. I suggest q3 on easier difficulties to get used to it and then move on to whatever your favourite games are and see how they go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I've played with y-axis inverted ever since the days of X-Wing... I played so much of that game that it was drilled into me, now I can't play FPSs any other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Right handed normal, iverted only fits in flight sims, keep it out of FPS IMO :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Anyone who uses inverted axis is the spawn of satan.

Mark my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i only use an inverted y axis in flying games...
    occasionally i'll use it in console fps's.
    never used it with a mouse/keyboard driven fps...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Anyone who uses inverted axis is the spawn of satan.

Mark my words.

Cyan plays QW with inverted y-axis.

I can't understand it.

Only use inverted y-axis for flight games, when in plane in BF1942/flashpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Right-handed, inverted X-axis always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

right hand inverted, my friends call me crazy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I play with invert X AND Y axis. You know it's the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Left handed normal, but I'm right handed.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Left handed normal, but I'm right handed.

why?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Because my dad is left handed and when we first got a computer he had the mouse on the lhs so I just got used to using the mouse with my left hand.

ahh makes sense. i'm too lazy to swap the mouse over and change the buttons so i just learned right handed. also most mice are shaped for the right hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Lefties should be rounded up and sent on a rocket to the moon to mine cheese crystals to send back to us for sustenance.
    Their families shall each recieve one Trabant or one pair of shoes in compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Inverted in an FPS defies all logic. It's supposed to be a first person view.... so you move the mouse up, you look up. Unless you don't care for realism!
    Inverted would be a problem in real life. Imagine, telling your brain to look up, and then your eyes/head go and look down.... although it might be humorous.

Flight sims are all good and well, as it's realistic.

I agree with Moriarty. Spawns of Satan = inverted users.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Lefties should be rounded up and sent on a rocket to the moon to mine cheese crystals to send back to us for sustenance.
    may all your future kids be spawned as left handers :mad:
    i invert the y-axis when playing FPS games.
    i'm left handed but have gun in right hand and mouse in left hand.

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Inverted in an FPS defies all logic. It's supposed to be a first person view.... so you move the mouse up, you look up. Unless you don't care for realism!

yea because using a mouse to aim a gun is realistic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm right handed, but I can play inverted or non inverted. I guess I adapt quickly, but some people think I'm mad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    Opps. You know what I mean. Eh, mods any chance one of you can change that in the poll please?

fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    You're not moving the mouse up tho, you're moving it forward. Which would cause the head to tilt down, naturally :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

right-handed normal, boring i know but there ya go, i only know one other person who plays with inverted, i tried it a few times but kept running about with my crosshairs shooting birds when i got into combat, i know one other person who uses a trackball, which is horrid, and i know a guy who uses his sidewinder, which is actually pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I use a ps2 joypad to play quake3, using the anologue controller sticks for added sexyness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

yep plain old right handed normal for me, on my MX 500 with weight removed, perfect combination in my books

Advertisement