Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Clare won - 16 points to 15- a lot of frees given away by Tipp - 16 in the first half.

https://twitter.com/BrophShane/status/556824537854394368/photo/1

Brendan Maher tried out in the corner - well, named in teh corner - don't know how he operated (wasn't at the game):

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2015/0118/673576-clare-tipperary/

and was on frees

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chunkylover95

Playing Maher in the forwards is interesting, could free up wing back for Mickey Cahill to come in if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

ya brendan maher played well.scrappy enough game clare played the short passing game and seemed to be playing with an extra man in midfield.wasnt much between the two teams and miles away from what we can expect later in the year.

I wonder can he take a penalty!!!

Seems a bit crazy from Clare - I suppose they want to get confidence back - but putting out a fair team with a good few first teamers with an extra man in midfield in the Crystal cup - playing the same short game - and not trying out something new at this time of year...but I suppose Davy knows what he wants to do and will just try and make Clare as good as possible at it

Tipp had been motoring along fairly contentedly without ever really worrying the Banner defence, instead enjoying a controlled performance from Stephen Maher and the busy Gearoid Ryan and a terrific turn by Brendan Maher as a play-everywhere, pick-pocketing centre-half forward.
    “It was his first game and he has been sick so I was going to take him off but fitness wise it was good for us to finish it,” said Eamon O’Shea.
    These are the concerns in January, rather than the score board: bringing players on, treating injuries and trying to gauge where everyone is at.
    “I was going to take him off after 15 of the second half but he wanted to stay on.”
    With the introduction of Kieran Bergin and Patrick Maher, Tipp suddenly seemed to rouse themselves and issued four quick points on the trot which introduced the prospect of Clare extending their losing streak into the New Year. Brendan Maher flicked a point to level it at 0-15 after intense Tipp’ forward pressure, with Patrick Maher applying his customary brand of energy and ball-winning prowess to the game, busting open what had been a tightly bound Clare defensive unit.
    “I was surprised,” smiled O’Shea of that swift comeback.
    “We were happy. It was a competitive game and it brought us on I would say. We were playing five forwards and a man out and they had to work very hard. But I was happy with the work rate. It was hard for forwards on a day like today.”

Right the times report has put a few things right - Tipp were playing with five forwards too and one man out - Brendan Maher was at 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Seems a bit crazy from Clare - I suppose they want to get confidence back - but putting out a fair team with a good few first teamers with an extra man in midfield in the Crystal cup - playing the same short game - and not trying out something new at this time of year...but I suppose Davy knows what he wants to do and will just try and make Clare as good as possible at it
    Is it really that crazy? Get the cob webs out early and as you say get as good as possible at what the coach wants
    RIP but tbf what relevance does that have to this thread?

• Advertisement

Not crazy - but just emphasizing a point - I think everyone knows how Clare play now and he needs to find alternative tactics - a plan b and c

It's relevance is obvious. One of Tipperary's biggest rivalries is with Kilkenny - they've pulled out of a competition due to a bereavement. I thought it was a nice gesture - if you're disinterested you can report me to the thread police!

Also, came across this Cody quote - the man is ruthless -

"People say going out in a match that ‘we’re prepared to die to win this game’ but that’s a dangerous thing to say. You should never say you’re prepared to die to win. You should always be prepared to kill to win a game. That’s the difference."

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

South draws made last night for Senior , Intermediate and Junior , anyone got them ? Under 21 and Minor will be made on Friday .

Is it really that crazy? Get the cob webs out early and as you say get as good as possible at what the coach wants

RIP"]http://www.the42.ie/kilkenny-walsh-cup-1894545-Jan2015/?utm_source=twitter_self[/URL] [/QUOTE]RIP but tbf what relevance does that have to this thread?

Ah well to be fair id make an exception in this case. Kilkenny may be our old foes but the tragic death of one of the family members of one of their players puts the whole area of rivalry into perspective. The GAA is one big united family at the end of the day. My deepest sympathies to Lester Ryan and his family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Ah well to be fair id make an exception in this case. Kilkenny may be our old foes but the tragic death of one of the family members of one of their players puts the whole area of rivalry into perspective. The GAA is one big united family at the end of the day. My deepest sympathies to Lester Ryan and his family

Perfectly put.

Kilkenny have withdrawn from the Walsh Cup as a mark of respect to the Ryan family.

are the tipp hurlers out this weekend does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

They have to Kill Mallock on Sunday at 12 Noon

Senior Hurling Challenge - Tipperary v Kilmallock (Limerick) in Annacarty at 12 noon on Sunday

• Advertisement

“Len would have known . . . I wouldn’t have been an aggressive player and they gave me a bit of poetic licence. Lads would have indulged me a bit and my job was to make sure that indulgence paid off and the ball was . . . that I would do what I had to do. It was a responsibility. You had to finish chances. It wasn’t free.
    “Those guys wouldn’t give you anything for free. So it was a really good club and they would have looked after ye on the pitch and made sure that you were given the space to do what you wanted to do. But Len was just so passionate that I still carry the responsibility of that with me.”

“Listen, I want to win as well. I think the evidence is there that Kilkenny have a regime that manages to win games, as well as playing really brilliant hurling. They have class players to win those games. In terms of Tipperary, we are trying to find a way to get the wins to reflect what we do on the training pitch. But we are not quite there.
    “I can talk about performance but if you look at the players, the players want to win. It is if you don’t win – and Kilkenny have been gracious the odd time we do beat them – but if we don’t win, I am not going to say that it was a failure. Other people will and other people see it as a failure and they are absolutely entitled to.
    “But I won’t look at my team, knowing the work they do, and say that they have failed. We don’t have any baggage because of where we are. You do have to recognise the quality of the competitor you are facing. I do think Kilkenny are up there in terms of world teams in the environment they have created. That is down to Brian and the structure they have. And Tipp, we have been there since 2008 and have been very, very close and you just keep going. That is what you do.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamon-o-shea-interview-i-won-t-look-at-my-team-knowing-the-work-they-do-and-say-that-they-have-failed-1.2077506?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

cheers lads

Tipp v Kilmallock -Darren,S.Maher,Butler,OBrien,R.Maher,C.OMahony,P.Maher,Stapleton,Woodie,G.Ryan,Brendan,S.Maher,D.Butler,Callanan,Forde

Senior Hurling Challenge (2nd half,43 min) Tipperary 2-15 Kilmallock 2-15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

via: @TipperaryGAA
    Senior Hurling Challenge Tipperary 5-20 Kilmallock 2-18 (FT)

Clean Ireland Recycling County Under 21 A Hurling Final Result - Loughmore-Castleiney 1-8 Kildangan 0-10

• Advertisement

Was at it. Thought Kildangan were the better team, unlucky to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Who is the likely keeper for the footballers likely to be in the league (and the championship) ?

Thinking of throwing some money on the footballers for promotion but I'd be worried about what the options are like as regards your keeper. I think it will be between yourself and Clare for the 2nd promotion spot [can't see Armagh not going up with their squad]

From what I saw of Tipp last year Fitzgerald's time was definitely up but if he was being picked on merit I'd have concerns about the quality of the understudy.

Any insights on offer?

What performances stood out?

For Loughmore John Meagher was very strong at centre back, looking forward to see him play county. Bill O Connell was good too at midfield just out of minor. Kildangans best was Alan Flynn at full back did a serious job on both McGraths, was a good game especially for this time of year.

Was Jack Loughnane or Tadhg Gallagher playing?

• Advertisement

ya both had fine games, loughnane was midfield gallagher in the half forwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I would be expecting good things from the Tipp U/21 team this year,they weren't far off Clare last year and a lot of that team is still under age.

Isn't a lot of that Clare and Wexford teams back again?

tippspur wrote: »
    I would be expecting good things from the Tipp U/21 team this year,they weren't far off Clare last year and a lot of that team is still under age.

Its the minor winning class of 2012 too. We should go hard on it

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Who is the likely keeper for the footballers likely to be in the league (and the championship) ?

Thinking of throwing some money on the footballers for promotion but I'd be worried about what the options are like as regards your keeper. I think it will be between yourself and Clare for the 2nd promotion spot [can't see Armagh not going up with their squad]

From what I saw of Tipp last year Fitzgerald's time was definitely up but if he was being picked on merit I'd have concerns about the quality of the understudy.

Any insights on offer?

Colin Nugent , Ardfinnan ( same Football Club as Brendan Cummins , hopefully a good omen ) is the new #1 , Inexperienced at this level but is decent . Evan Comerford ( Kilsheelan ) , Minor All Ireland winner is the reserve ! Matthew O`Donnell ( Killenaule ) was understudy to Fitzgerald but had a disaster v Wicklow last year in the League conceding 3 Goals in added time in what was our only defeat in the League , he got a rare chance and blew it !
    Armagh should go up , really looking forward to playing them on Sunday in Crossmaglen , unfortunately can`t go . We have really good forwards , so I`m confident we will go up with them .

must be loaded to be able to do that haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any mention of the Tipp team for Sunday.
    1 game this year is hardly serous preperation

Paddico wrote: »
    Any mention of the Tipp team for Sunday.
    1 game this year is hardly serous preperation

Well it`s one more competitive game than this time last year with the McGrath Boycott and look at how that turned out ! Been plenty of Friendlies though . Team won`t be announced until after training tomorrow night or Friday .

• Advertisement

any news where the hurlers are playing this week?anybody making the trek north for the football?

buggy beag wrote: »
    any news where the hurlers are playing this week?anybody making the trek north for the football?

Bus going to Armagh on Sunday starting in Cahir at 8.30 , Horse & Jockey at 9am , Thurles at 9.10 . Call Michael Power Thurles 0863789323

are the hurlers playing this weekend lads do any of ye know?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

they are playing a fundraiser against waterford in Fraher Field at 7.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Interesting that its done over 4 evenings. Wonder what level that qualifies you to referee at and how do they assess what level you can referee and move between grades...

Wouldn't do it as do enough refereeing in other sports and don't like how referees are treated/respected in hurling/GAA.

Well, it says its a foundation course....so I'd doubt it qualifies anyone for very much - maybe an introduction that might lead to a better course...

How does referee respect contrast in GAA?

• Advertisement

Think UL have what it takes to go all the way in that. From yesterdays starting 15 there were 6 tipp players starting which is fairl good : maher in goals, forde, john mcgrath, brian stapleton as well as daire quinn and tommy heffernan from nenagh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement