Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further Education Teaching Council registration?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Do I need a H.Dip to apply for the Futher Education reigistration with the Teaching Council? I have a Ph.D and have been teaching at an Irish University for five years. I need the Further Education registration so I can offer some adult ed. courses outside my university but I can't make head nor tails of the byzantine Teaching Council jargon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Do I need a H.Dip to apply for the Futher Education reigistration with the Teaching Council? I have a Ph.D and have been teaching at an Irish University for five years. I need the Further Education registration so I can offer some adult ed. courses outside my university but I can't make head nor tails of the byzantine Teaching Council jargon.

Yes, you'll need a recognised teaching qualification if you want to register with the Teaching Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Doesn't look like that actually applies to Further Education, 'regulation 5', but I'll give them a ring.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/Overview/Registration_Regulations_2009_90665047.pdf

Doesn't look like that actually applies to Further Education, 'regulation 5', but I'll give them a ring.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/Overview/Registration_Regulations_2009_90665047.pdf

To quote Regulation 5 from the content you linked:
    2. A person who applies to be entered on the register as a teacher under this regulation shall satisfy the Council that he/she has obtained:
    a) For those making application prior to and including 01 April 2013, a primary degree or equivalent carrying at least 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits, such as may be recognised by the Teaching Council as suitable for the purpose of registration as a teacher under this regulation in accordance with the provisions set out hereunder:
    b) For those making application after 01 April 2013, a primary degree or equivalent (not less than level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications) carrying at least 180 ECTS credits, such as may be recognised by the Teaching Council as suitable for the purpose of registration as a teacher under this regulation in accordance with the provisions set out hereunder:
    (i) The degree must be obtained following a course of at least three years full time study (or its equivalent); and,
    (ii) meets such other requirements as the Teaching Council may publish from time to time.
    AND
    For those making application after 01 April 2013, a Council approved qualification in post-primary (First Year to Sixth Year) or further education teacher education.

In an nutshell, before 1 April 2013 you would have been able to register for FE without a formal teaching qualification and on the strength of your bachelor's degree. Since then, to register, one must hold a recognised teaching qualification. You won't be able to register with them until you qualify as a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Immediately after the part you quoted there's this or:
    OR
    c) An ordinary degree or equivalent (not less than level 7 on the National
    Qualifi cations Framework) carrying at least 180 ECTS credits; and,
    (i) an appropriate additional qualifi cation; or,
    (ii) certifi ed accreditation of prior learning based on a minimum of three
    years experience in a workplace or instructional setting which is
    relevant to the candidate’s qualifi cations such as may be recognised
    by the Teaching Council as suitable for the purpose of registration as
    a teacher under this regulation which meets such requirements as the
    Teaching Council may publish from time to time;
    AND
    For those making application after 01 April 2013, a Council approved teacher
    education qualifi cation in Further Education.
    OR
    d) Until 01 April 2013, an Advanced (National Craft) Certifi cate at not less than
    Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifi cations as determined by FETAC
    together with relevant approved experience in a workplace supervisory role such
    as may be recognised by the Teaching Council as suitable for the purpose of
    registration as a teacher under this regulation in accordance with the provisions
    set out hereunder:
    (i) The Advanced (National Craft) Certifi cate must be in a craft listed as an
    approved apprenticeship by FÁS or its equivalent;
    (ii) The workplace supervisory role must be of at least fi ve years duration;
    (iii) Such other requirements as the Teaching Council may publish from
    time to time.
    OR
    e) Any person who has achieved the qualifi cations previously recognised in
    accordance with Department of Education and Science circulars as long as the
    qualifi cation was obtained (or at least the applicant had commenced the course
    leading to the qualifi cation) prior to the passing of these Regulations.

The last e) is interesting

Immediately after the part you quoted there's this or:

The last e) is interesting

Interesting indeed! Let me know what you find out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement