Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teacher picking on me?

• 04-12-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Firstly I just want to say that I have no idea if this is the appropriate place to post this, so I apologise if it's not.

In the past month I feel like my Spanish teacher is trying to pick on me.
    - He made me feel intimidated because I was asking another teacher for a sheet that he refused to print for us. He asked me ,"Do you have a problem with me?", making me feel guilty for actually caring about my work.
    - He shouted "Losers!" at my friends and I from across the yard.
    He called me "antipatico" (not nice) when I didn't answer an oral question.
    - He asked me if I was "slipping" because I forgot my Spanish copy (we didn't have any written homework) even though I always do well in tests and have my work done.
    - When correcting my work he told me he didn't like how I write the letter J, asking me to change it. I know this isn't a big deal but I feel like he's just intentionally looking for anything to pick on me for.

This is so frustrating for me because I'm not used to teachers disliking me. Until this year the teacher had been nice to me and I was very passionate about Spanish, wanting to pursue it in college. However, because my teacher is making me feel uncomfortable I have lost all enjoyment in the class, which is extremely upsetting to me.
    My friends in that class have witnessed the way he treats me so I know it's not just me overreacting. My parents and my friends are saying that it's bullying, urging me to report him to my year head. I have a very good relationship with my year head and I know I'll be listened to but I can't see how he can fix the problem. I would ask to be moved to another class but the only other teacher is subbing for one on maternity and isn't the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

If you feel there is a problem or tension between ye, then just go up after class and talk to him about it.
    Just say you get the feeling he doesn't like you for some reason, and that's his issue, but if he could leave you alone in class and in the yard, that would be best.
    If it continues see your year head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

_ReyRey_ wrote: »
    Firstly I just want to say that I have no idea if this is the appropriate place to post this, so I apologise if it's not.

In the past month I feel like my Spanish teacher is trying to pick on me.
    - He made me feel intimidated because I was asking another teacher for a sheet that he refused to print for us. He asked me ,"Do you have a problem with me?", making me feel guilty for actually caring about my work.
    - He shouted "Losers!" at my friends and I from across the yard.
    He called me "antipatico" (not nice) when I didn't answer an oral question.
    - He asked me if I was "slipping" because I forgot my Spanish copy (we didn't have any written homework) even though I always do well in tests and have my work done.
    - When correcting my work he told me he didn't like how I write the letter J, asking me to change it. I know this isn't a big deal but I feel like he's just intentionally looking for anything to pick on me for.

This is so frustrating for me because I'm not used to teachers disliking me. Until this year the teacher had been nice to me and I was very passionate about Spanish, wanting to pursue it in college. However, because my teacher is making me feel uncomfortable I have lost all enjoyment in the class, which is extremely upsetting to me.
    My friends in that class have witnessed the way he treats me so I know it's not just me overreacting. My parents and my friends are saying that it's bullying, urging me to report him to my year head. I have a very good relationship with my year head and I know I'll be listened to but I can't see how he can fix the problem. I would ask to be moved to another class but the only other teacher is subbing for one on maternity and isn't the best.

I had a similar situation to this in first year. A PE teacher that didn't even teach me used to go out of his way to piss me off. In the summer Exams he gave me **** in the exam hall and when his back was turned I gave him the middle finger. Someone sold me out and I got kicked out of the exam hall for the week.

Anyway back to the problem, I'd say go to him and just say "Have I done something out of the way to you?" be fairly innocent about it, tell him that you feel there's a problem between the both of you and that you would like to solve it face to face rather than going to a year head. If you can't settle it, go to the year head ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

keep your parents informed.

Go to yearhead before you engage with him again. Outline the concerns in bullit points on a letter show it to a year head. (Esp. where he used ' simpatico' word), say you want to mive on as you actually enjoy the subject.
    THEN ask your YH how to proceed (tell YH that your parents are aware of the situation). I think the YH might have a better sense of the teacher so should know the best way to proceed.

If that doesn't work get parents to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Armelodie wrote: »
    keep your parents informed.

Go to yearhead before you engage with him again. Outline the concerns in bullit points on a letter show it to a year head. (Esp. where he used ' simpatico' word), say you want to mive on as you actually enjoy the subject.
    THEN ask your YH how to proceed (tell YH that your parents are aware of the situation). I think the YH might have a better sense of the teacher so should know the best way to proceed.

If that doesn't work get parents to intervene.

I'm not sure this is a good idea. Best to speak to the teacher first. Outline issues to them. There may be levels of interpretation here from op. Ask teacher to stop perceived slights. If that does not work. Then go to yh. No point escalating something if it's not necessary to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

f3232 wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is a good idea. Best to speak to the teacher first. Outline issues to them. There may be levels of interpretation here from op. Ask teacher to stop perceived slights. If that does not work. Then go to yh. No point escalating something if it's not necessary to do so.

A teacher shouting 'Losers' at a group of students in school is unprofessional, even if none of the other incidents ever happened. To be honest I would recommend that the OP, writes down everything and when these incidents happened and get his parents to come in and talk to his year head about the situation. The Spanish teacher is the adult here and should be mature enough to carry out their role properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭_ReyRey_

If you feel there is a problem or tension between ye, then just go up after class and talk to him about it. Just say you get the feeling he doesn't like you for some reason, and that's his issue, but if he could leave you alone in class and in the yard, that would be best. If it continues see your year head.

He's not exactly approachable, I don't want to have any interaction with him that isn't necessary.
    Update: Today he asked me to go to the office to collect a sheet for him, which I did obediently. While I was gone the class was given work. When I got back he came around to check mine and asked why I didn't have it done, when the reason was known to him. When I told him I was at the office he asked me who gave me permission to go. He obviously knew that he had asked me to go and was just going out of his way to annoy me. I said nothing and rolled my eyes. The girls who sit behind me were quick to answer him for me.
    We have Spanish orals next week and I'm really nervous because I don't want to be alone with him. I'm a little torn between wanting to tell my year head and not wanting to bother my year head any further because of other problems that I currently have him involved in. I don't want to be seen as a problematic or whiney student.

A teacher shouting 'Losers' at a group of students in school is unprofessional, even if none of the other incidents ever happened. To be honest I would recommend that the OP, writes down everything and when these incidents happened and get his parents to come in and talk to his year head about the situation. The Spanish teacher is the adult here and should be mature enough to carry out their role properly.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to write down everything that has happened before now and whatever happens between now and Christmas as I'm certain there will be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Don't be worrying about bringing too much to your year head, if you are genuinely involved in issues that need the intervention of a staff member then that is part of his role. One thing: resist any temptation to add any gloss to your observations. Date, place, others present (if any) and exact words said - objective and accurate is the way to go in order not to come out of this looking like an attention seeker.

He's not exactly approachable, I don't want to have any interaction with him that isn't necessary.
    Update: Today he asked me to go to the office to collect a sheet for him, which I did obediently. While I was gone the class was given work. When I got back he came around to check mine and asked why I didn't have it done, when the reason was known to him. When I told him I was at the office he asked me who gave me permission to go. He obviously knew that he had asked me to go and was just going out of his way to annoy me. I said nothing and rolled my eyes. The girls who sit behind me were quick to answer him for me.
    We have Spanish orals next week and I'm really nervous because I don't want to be alone with him. I'm a little torn between wanting to tell my year head and not wanting to bother my year head any further because of other problems that I currently have him involved in. I don't want to be seen as a problematic or whiney student.

That's ridiculous. I'm a teacher and I'm annoyed hearing that. I'd suggest you talk to your parents about this over the weekend and perhaps ask them to make an appointment with the school next week or this will drag on.

Like Redser said keep your account of any incident factual.

E.g. At 12:00 at the start of Spanish Mr. X asked me to go to the office to collect a book. I was gone for approximately 5 minutes. The class were doing written work when I came back which had been assigned when I was at the office. About 2 minutes after I came back to class Mr. X went around the room to check the written work. I had not completed mine as i had only returned to class and was still working on it. Mr. X asked me why I didn't have my work completed I said I had been to the office. He then asked me who had given me permission to go to the office. I did not reply as Mr. X had asked me to go to the office to complete the errand for him. Mary and Kate who were sitting behind me then said to Mr. X that I had been at the office to complete the errand for him.

Don't get into the realm of 'I think he's being ridiculous' in your statement. Keep to facts.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to write down everything that has happened before now and whatever happens between now and Christmas as I'm certain there will be more.

Ya I suppose it mightn't be such a good idea to get 'too' preoccupied with monitoring his interactions as it could very quickly consume your whole experience of the year. I'd still suss out the year-head though first (sooner rather than later) as it sounds as if you do need to unburden yourself of the situation by teasing it out.

You probably know yourself how approachable you feel the teacher to be, so I'd say if it's a case of 'having it out with them' then just keep it brief and conclude that you want to be on good terms and do well, as you enjoy the subject. Or maybe you could make an appt. with the career guidance teacher as they are usually well trained in 'dealing with conflict' so they might give you an approach you could use rather than going solo.

Edit: Ya just on reading Rainbowtrout's post above you don't need it to drag on so the quickest way to 'soften his cough' would be a quick call from mum or dad.

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote:
    Ya I suppose it mightn't be such a good idea to get 'too' preoccupied with monitoring his interactions as it could very quickly consume your whole experience of the year. I'd still suss out the year-head though first (sooner rather than later) as it sounds as if you do need to unburden yourself of the situation by teasing it out.

I think I'll speak to my year head on Tuesday, you're definitely right about the unburdening myself. I feel myself becoming constantly wary of how I act in class, not wanting to bring attention to myself. If I have a question now I don't even bother asking him in case he gives me a sarcastic answer. I'm even paranoid that he will see this thread!
    Would it be appropriate for my year head to accompany me to speak to my teacher about it? I'd prefer to talk to him myself rather than someone else speaking for me.

Would it be appropriate for my year head to accompany me to speak to my teacher about it? I'd prefer to talk to him myself rather than someone else speaking for me.

Yes it should be fine. Or if you decide to go down the road of bringing in one of your parents that you have someone with you who is not from the school. I'm not sure you would achieve much speaking to your Spanish teacher on your own if he is behaving like that in front of the whole class. If you are on your own it's your word against his.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Yes any teacher who shouted looser accross the school would be very unprofessional, mindless stupidity actually. With the other claims by the op we are talking about a teacher who is probably seriously unhinged.

Would be one seriously stupid teacher to be behaving like this. Sends op to the office to get something and then gives out to them for not having work done. In front of the whole class!

Something wrong there alright.

I think I'll speak to my year head on Tuesday, you're definitely right about the unburdening myself. I feel myself becoming constantly wary of how I act in class, not wanting to bring attention to myself. If I have a question now I don't even bother asking him in case he gives me a sarcastic answer. I'm even paranoid that he will see this thread!

Ah there you go (in the bold part) I think you've sussed it out, have a read of this piece here Teachers who use sarcasm .
    Give yer head a rest (literally at this time!), it's not, you it's him (probably doing it unintentionally as an attempt at humour etc.).

Edit: But still go through with sharing it with someone else as its clearly being done at your expense.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ah there you go (in the bold part) I think you've sussed it out, have a read of this piece here Teachers who use sarcasm .

Give yer head a rest (literally at this time!), it's not, you it's him (probably doing it unintentionally as an attempt at humour etc.).

I don't think that's a good enough reason Armelodie. Sarcasm or no sarcasm this teacher does not sound professional. If the OP is feeling intimidated and picked on then it goes beyond sarcasm, it's bullying and if the student was describing an incident of a similar nature where they were targeted by another student, they would be recommended to report it immediately and not just put it down to sarcasm.

I don't think that's a good enough reason Armelodie. Sarcasm or no sarcasm this teacher does not sound professional. If the OP is feeling intimidated and picked on then it goes beyond sarcasm, it's bullying and if the stuldent was describing an incident of a similar nature where they were targeted by another student, they would be recommended to report it immediately and not just put it down to sarcasm.

Sorry if I misled, id still (the same as yourself) reccomend that the OP raise the matter as if it were bullying/picking on (which it does appear to be). Im just saying that if OP wanted some affirmation that they(the op) has done nothing wrong then have a read of the link piece.

From the other comments that the teacher has made it definitely looks like their way of trying to liven up the class is through 'humour' ...which works for some teachers. But when it goes down the sarcastic route then its very loaded and winds up being at the students expense.

Im not for a minute excusing the teachers behaviour but just a forewarning that the teacher mightnt actually realise that he is making the student feel uncomfortable.

Armelodie wrote:
    From the other comments that the teacher has made it definitely looks like their way of trying to liven up the class is through 'humour' ...which works for some teachers. But when it goes down the sarcastic route then its very loaded and winds up being at the students expense.

I don't feel like he's "trying to liven up the class" because it's when he's going around checking our work that he makes remarks to me, so it's only myself and the person I'm sitting beside who hears it. It was only the incident yesterday and the "antipatico" remark that was heard by others and if it was his attempt at humour, no one was laughing.
    When he asked me who gave me permisssion, I didn't answer. It was obvious to the girls behind that I was uncomfortable enough for them to to feel like they had to answer for me, yet he still continued to ask me again "but who gave you permission?". I think he's very aware of what he's doing and it's not just banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i would advise you to tell your parents and maybe have a chat with the year head.
    i wouldn't advise you to speak to this teacher on your own. any adult who behaves like that towards a student, and yes i realise it's petty what he's doing, is not behaving in a professional manner and should be kept at a distance.

I don't feel like he's "trying to liven up the class" because it's when he's going around checking our work that he makes remarks to me, so it's only myself and the person I'm sitting beside who hears it. It was only the incident yesterday and the "antipatico" remark that was heard by others and if it was his attempt at humour, no one was laughing.
    When he asked me who gave me permisssion, I didn't answer. It was obvious to the girls behind that I was uncomfortable enough for them to to feel like they had to answer for me, yet he still continued to ask me again "but who gave you permission?". I think he's very aware of what he's doing and it's not just banter.

Ok fair enough, I didn't intend to try and make you think that it was just innocent banter all in your head, you clearly are affected by it and it is on a consistent basis so do raise the matter asap with someone else (yearhead/career guidance/parent).

Advertisement