Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chromebooks and ipads

Options
  • 04-12-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

My son (10) has an ipad mini and he's looking for a chromebook for Christmas. They seam like similar products from a function point of you. Am i right in saying that? Does the chromebook differ much from the ipad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

A chromebook is more like a standard laptop with keyboard, except most things are done in the web browser.

Only a few models have touchscreens, but some of those from Lenovo can flip into a tablet-like mode.

Since chromebooks have keyboards & trackpads and are based around the web, the apps are not typically made for touch-interaction like iPad apps are (although some apps have better touchscreen support than others). Check out the Chrome Web store here to see what's available, https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I suppose the main question is, what does he want it for? I always considered a chromebook as something more for productivity on the go. They're generally light and have long battery life, and are for browsing and google docs for the most part. Although they are getting better as far as what you can do.

He will have a different form factor, and essentially have a laptop so can type easier on a keyboard etc. But as far as functionality, and use it wont be much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

I brought home my work laptop and have been letting him play around with it, he doesn't seam overly interested so I'm moving away from the idea of the laptop/chrome book. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

How are the chromebooks for playing movies? Does the video player it comes with support divx?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

Chrome books don't come with DVD players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

It should play Divx, but not all .avi files will work. But for the ones that don't work locally, you can upload them to your Google drive and they should work from there. Some more details here (under "Skype, Webcams, Audio/Video").

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Chromebooks will improve his general computer and typing skills much more so than a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

irish_goat wrote: »
    Chromebooks will improve his general computer and typing skills much more so than a tablet.

Might drag it a bit off topic but are there any particularly good chromebooks or are they all much of a muchness?

Advertisement