Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocal Mannerism

Options
  • 01-12-2014 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I am a PME student and I have just had two inspections. Both of my supervisors have commented on a vocal mannerism that I have. I keep repeating a phrase in the classroom. Any idea how I might go about removing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

RoySheehan wrote: »
    I am a PME student and I have just had two inspections. Both of my supervisors have commented on a vocal mannerism that I have. I keep repeating a phrase in the classroom. Any idea how I might go about removing this?

Is this like saying 'OK' or 'like' at the end of every sentence? Or saying something like 'Does everyone understand that?' at the end of everything you say, without really expecting a response?

It might be worth just slowing down what you say and when you are about to say whatever the phrase is, just try and stop yourself or at least change the phrase to something slightly different.

To be honest I think most people do it to a certain extent, some phrases are more annoying than others, depending on the context. But I'm guessing whatever you say, it was noticeable enough for both of your supervisors to say it.

It might help to say what you repeat in the classroom here so people could give you a few suggestions, given the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

RoySheehan wrote: »

Hmm are you talking about saying things like "ok now" a million times... or if you were from cork you would say "like" a lot. Actually don't tell us here as it might be obvious to folk who know you (students or inspectors!)

Being conscious of it is enough to eliminate it! Bearing in mind that every teacher has their little re-affirmation ticks. (Have a listen to your inspector next time and I'll bet they have their own too).

Sooo the really fast way to do it is the 'cringe factor'.
    Basically record one of your classes and have a listen back , most of us hate the sound of our own voices so to compound this embarrassment your ear will start to pick up on these vocal mannerisms.

Another way is to slow the hell down. I think we use these ticks as time fillers as we are nervous of silence. Most teachers feel a bit uneasy when they aren't talking as it's like your main tool which you would assume to be always using.

I think once you spot your behaviour then you can change it... don;t beat yerself up over it though (congratulate yourself every time you notice it). I'd say if you are nervous (especially during an inspection) your VM probably increases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoySheehan

Bit of an update; I have found slowing down to be really helpful. I still say words like "guys" or "ok", but not in a way that I think to be excessive. Thanks a lot!!

Advertisement