Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone emulators for testing mobile site?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Developing mobile site for a site that already has www pages.

Soon it'll be time to start verifying it on Blackberry, Android and iphone (we'll go with the assumption that pads/tablet users will use www).

So I need a free downloadable phone emulators, specifically phone browser emulators.
    A lot of online emulators I see just go for resolution but I'd like one that has settings for various phones alternatively I can change user strings etc.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

For iPhone, you'll need to download Xcode to get the simulator. Only works on a Mac.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Emulators will not accurately represent a physical device, they are not a suitable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks guys.
    Aye, we have proper (personal) devices too but company restrictions doesn't allow just any unvetted device onto the network.

Xcode seems to be the equivalent of Android SDK. I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Just to echo what was said above, there are some fairly large differences between emulators and real devices, which should not be taken lightly. If it's for a quick check you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Emulators should really just be used during development and maybe unit testing of a mobile site. Ultimately there are often some serious differences between emulators and real phone browsers, even between phone models, so testing should always be done on actual devices at the end of the day.

If you have company restrictions doesn't allow just any unvetted device onto the network, then get them vetted and put onto the network. Better still, the company should have some test phones in-house for this purpose rather than rely upon private phones that may have been pimped up and no longer perfectly reflect standard configurations.

Advertisement