Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I really think Ulster will beat Munster comprehensively in the QF. I just think we're a stronger team in nearly every area of the pitch. Our front row is better, our second row is ahead with POC and Ryan injured, out backrow is much better, Pienaar is streets ahead of Murray and Wallace is playing better than O'Gara. I think Cave is a better 13 than Earls as well. Munster edge probably edge it in the back 3 though. I know it's in Thomond but this is a poor Munster team compared to previous years
    POC and Ryan could be baack for the QF

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

I really think Ulster will beat Munster comprehensively in the QF. I just think we're a stronger team in nearly every area of the pitch. Our front row is better, our second row is ahead with POC and Ryan injured, out backrow is much better, Pienaar is streets ahead of Murray and Wallace is playing better than O'Gara. I think Cave is a better 13 than Earls as well. Munster edge probably edge it in the back 3 though. I know it's in Thomond but this is a poor Munster team compared to previous years

I agree Ulster have a good team but beating Munster COMPREHENSIVELY in Thomond is wishfuly thinking . This "poor Munster team" are unbeating in the H cup 2nd in Rabo and smashed last years finalist Northampton away from home .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Can't agree with this post.

1. I'd be shocked if Ulster beat Munster "comprehensively". It's not impossible but is very unlikely, I expect it to be a very close game that could swing either way.

2. You might be stronger in most areas of the pitch, but I'd say it's very marginal. Front row is tight, POC and Ryan might be back and that will be a massive boost to the whole pack and I don't think your backrow is "much better". Ferris does give you the advantage though.

3. I assume you mean Humphreys rather than Wallace? Humphreys is talented but flaky and I'd always choose ROG over him. Cave is probably a better 13 than Earls but still, Earls is in good form and has recent performances at 13 give me huge hope

4. I think this is a better team than last year and we're getting results too. Should be a cracking contest, doubt there'll be more than a score in it and I'd hope the Thomond factor swings it in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Fetch the nurse. fw6avo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If this game were at Ravenhill I might just tip Ulster but I think Munster at Thomond in the HEC are a pretty tough nut to crack and I think it'll be a season or two yet before Ulster hit their prime so Munster by 7-10 points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Seriously, tipping anyone to beat Munster at home comprehensively is naive in the extreme.

If we win, it will be the biggest away win we have ever had in the HEC. It would be an upset if we pull it off.

ROG is a outhalf than anyone we have available or have had available since the original Humph retired !

ps...if we were a better team in all areas we'd be above them in the Rabo !!

If this game were at Ravenhill I might just tip Ulster but I think Munster at Thomond in the HEC are a pretty tough nut to crack and I think it'll be a season or two yet before Ulster hit their prime so Munster by 7-10 points.

That's spot on. Much as I'd love to think Ban'man's prediction was accurate, he's way off the mark. Maybe playing for Rory's club has skewed his critical faculties a bit. Beating Saints away and scoring 51 points - Yeah. A poor team my hoop.

Looking at the units.

Front rows: Botha is the best, most aggressive prop of the main 4 and most observers would suggest that Du Preez is possibly shading it over Court. That one is hard to judge but Afoa is a decent tight head even if he isn't as destructive as B.J. There isn't much in the hooker battle but Best would be a better all round player than the under-rated Varley. On balance I would suggest that Munster will, at the very least, shade the front row battle. If however Botha/Afoa has to leave the field all bets are off as I think Court/Du Preez would flatten Archer/ Macklin unless the subs have one of their best ever displays.

Munster +1

Second Rows.
    POC and Ryan have it over Muller and Tuohy. I would hope it would be close. Tuohy is a real brute when he has a good game. He's 6'5" and 18 stone and faster around the field, a better carrier and more a more skilful player than the others. One thing he may lack in comparison is sheer aggression. POC and Ryan have it in spades.

Munster +1

Back Rows. Ferris, Wannenberg and Henry have been a good unit all season. To balance that Coughlin has been the most impressive and consistent 8 of all the sides this season and Wally may well be back and POM is a star in the making. Close. Hard to separate. I'm going with Ulster on this one because of Ferris and Wannenberg has been Ulster's 'Coughlin' all season.

Ulster +1

Half Backs. I suppose it depends on a number of factors. Pienaar is superior at 9 to TOL and Murray. Some would also claim that Marshall is also better. He certainly has a great energy and can increase the tempo of a game. If he leaves the headless chicken in the dressing room that is.

At 10 most sane fans would give the bouquet to ROG. As I haven't taken my pills this morning I'm thinking that:

a) Humphreys likes the big stage as much as ROG,
    b) He can knock over really long range kicks (while missing from in front of the sticks - hence Pienaar kicking easier ones)
    c) If it's sunny, dry and Ulster can win any decent fast ball he is a good runner and creator. He also is one of the quickest players in the league.
    d) I think that he owes us a good game and he knows it.
    e) eiqdxx.gif29y028w.gifROG and he can cancel each other out in the tackling stakes. 29y028w.gifeiqdxx.gif

On the basis of the above I'm going to give it to Ulster - as much in hope as expectation but I think Pienaar and Humphreys can be very good in a fast paced game. I'm not one of those who endlessly knocks TOL but while he hasn't been playing well he is an outstanding athlete and should not be dismissed as easily as some do. Murray is in my opinion over promoted. He's o.k., he may well be Munster's best 9 but he isn't the best in Ireland.

I'm going to give this one to Ulster.

Ulster +1

Outside backs. This is always difficult to predict as a bounce of a ball often separates a motm peformance from a kick in the jacksie. It is also where the balance of a game tips.

Zebo is in my view clearly a better player than Gilroy. +1M

Wallace over Mafi. He's more creative and can pass. +1U Just.

Cave / Earls. On pace Keet clearly has it, on other aspects of the game I think Darren is more accomplished at 13. I'd call it even between them. =

Trimble v. Hurley /O'Dea/ Murphy. Trimble. +1U

Jones v. Terblanche. Jones has it as an attacker. Faster and more likely to join the line at speed. Terblanche has a great all round game and has surprised everyone at how he has seemed to get better with age. Why, he's even older than ROG. Jones +1M

So not much in it.

Home Advantage +1M

The extra factors are of course Munster are at home which is worth at least 10 points and ......

Team Work +1M

One of Ulster's greatest problems and in my view the reason for Mclaughlin's sideways move is the fact that they frequently look as if they have never been coached as a team. It is a frequent occurrence that the team seems to lose shape and fail to remain calm in attack and defence. Ulster score a lot of tries but also leak a lot - 43 / 31 in the league against 35 /21 for Munster. These are things that Munster do really well. McGahan has often been criticised by Munster fans but looking in as it were, we see a team that works as a unit and knows what to do in every given situation.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Second Rows.
    POC and Ryan have it over Muller and Tuohy. I would hope it would be close. Tuohy is a real brute when he has a good game. He's 6'5" and 18 stone and faster around the field, a better carrier and more a more skilful player than the others. One thing he may lack in comparison is sheer aggression. POC and Ryan have it in spades.

Munster +1
    Assuming POC and Ryan are fit and playing. I'd give it to Muller and Tuohy over a DOC/MOD second row combination

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I personally would give the front 5 edge to Ulster based on

1. Court knows Botha inside out.
    2. If Du Preez had trouble against Loughney he's surely going to have trouble against Afoa?
    3. Rory Best
    4. Neither POC nor Ryan are fit. Even if both are rushed back.

Although Foley definitely has the Munster pack drilled better than "McLaughlin".

I still have Munster as favourites but I think its a superbly balanced match. I really can't wait, and there's no theatre better suited for it than Thomond Park. As a child I would wait impatiently for Easter Sunday for the entirety of lent. I thought those days of torture were long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Hopefully we will get to see the same Ulster team which thumped Leicester Tigers against Aironi on Friday night for the first time since that game in January.
    Will be about trying to get a decent lead against the Italians at half time so as to rest a few in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jinxed. No comebacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

Jinxed. No comebacks.
    Your on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

A few comments on an excellent post:

Looking at the units.

Front rows: Botha is the best, most aggressive prop of the main 4 and most observers would suggest that Du Preez is possibly shading it over Court. That one is hard to judge but Afoa is a decent tight head even if he isn't as destructive as B.J. There isn't much in the hooker battle but Best would be a better all round player than the under-rated Varley. On balance I would suggest that Munster will, at the very least, shade the front row battle. If however Botha/Afoa has to leave the field all bets are off as I think Court/Du Preez would flatten Archer/ Macklin unless the subs have one of their best ever displays.

Munster +1

Disagree, on all counts. Botha is a better scrummager but Afoa is way better in the loose. I would rank Court ahead of du Preez, although WDP has improved, and the gap between Best and Varley is a chasm.
    Second Rows.

Munster +1

Am I right in saying neither POC nor Ryan are available? If so, Muller & Tuohy are a better unit than DOC & MOD.
    Back Rows. Ferris, Wannenberg and Henry have been a good unit all season. To balance that Coughlin has been the most impressive and consistent 8 of all the sides this season and Wally may well be back and POM is a star in the making. Close. Hard to separate. I'm going with Ulster on this one because of Ferris and Wannenberg has been Ulster's 'Coughlin' all season.

Ulster +1
    Agree, although it will depend hugely on how much of a contribution Wallace can make.
    Half Backs....

On the basis of the above I'm going to give it to Ulster - as much in hope as expectation but I think Pienaar and Humphreys can be very good in a fast paced game. I'm not one of those who endlessly knocks TOL but while he hasn't been playing well he is an outstanding athlete and should not be dismissed as easily as some do. Murray is in my opinion over promoted. He's o.k., he may well be Munster's best 9 but he isn't the best in Ireland.

Ulster +1.
    In light of the fact that Murray is out and Pienaar can play either 9 or 10 and do it very well, I'd agree.
    Outside backs. This is always difficult to predict as a bounce of a ball often separates a motm peformance from a kick in the jacksie. It is also where the balance of a game tips.

Cave / Earls. On pace Keet clearly has it, on other aspects of the game I think Darren is more accomplished at 13. I'd call it even between them. =

Jones v. Terblanche. Jones has it as an attacker. Faster and more likely to join the line at speed. Terblanche has a great all round game and has surprised everyone at how he has seemed to get better with age. Why, he's even older than ROG. Jones +1M

So not much in it.
    Agreed, except for Jones/Terblanche. I was highly suspicious of him, but he has class all round and is still pretty mobile, Jones is still an unknown quantity at higher levels.
    Home Advantage +1M

The extra factors are of course Munster are at home which is worth at least 10 points and ......
    No getting around this; massive advantage to Munster.
    Team Work +1M

One of Ulster's greatest problems and in my view the reason for Mclaughlin's sideways move is the fact that they frequently look as if they have never been coached as a team. It is a frequent occurrence that the team seems to lose shape and fail to remain calm in attack and defence. Ulster score a lot of tries but also leak a lot - 43 / 31 in the league against 35 /21 for Munster. These are things that Munster do really well. McGahan has often been criticised by Munster fans but looking in as it were, we see a team that works as a unit and knows what to do in every given situation.

You're much better informed on this last point than I am, but sometimes this season I've been frustrated with the lack of a cohesive plan between forwards and backs in Munster, I wouldn't call it as clearly as you have.

I think on paper at least, it's a very even split. If it was a neutral venue, I'd back Ulster but I just can't see Munster losing at home.

Am I right in saying neither POC nor Ryan are available? If so, Muller & Tuohy are a better unit than DOC & MOD.
    If they are available it will be their first match back and they may not be fully fit, they aren't available for this weekend and they may be available for the QF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

If they are available it will be their first match back and they may not be fully fit, they aren't available for this weekend and they may be available for the QF

Sorry, I'm being a retard, I'm thinking as though the QFs are on this weekend. Which is odd considering that at the same time, I'm planning my trip to Limerick this weekend for the Leinster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

That's spot on. Much as I'd love to think Ban'man's prediction was accurate, he's way off the mark. Maybe playing for Rory's club has skewed his critical faculties a bit. Beating Saints away and scoring 51 points - Yeah. A poor team my hoop.

Looking at the units.

Munster +1

Second Rows.

Munster +1

Ulster +1

Half Backs. I suppose it depends on a number of factors. Pienaar is superior at 9 to TOL and Murray. Some would also claim that Marshall is also better. He certainly has a great energy and can increase the tempo of a game. If he leaves the headless chicken in the dressing room that is.

At 10 most sane fans would give the bouquet to ROG. As I haven't taken my pills this morning I'm thinking that:

a) Humphreys likes the big stage as much as ROG,
    b) He can knock over really long range kicks (while missing from in front of the sticks - hence Pienaar kicking easier ones)
    c) If it's sunny, dry and Ulster can win any decent fast ball he is a good runner and creator. He also is one of the quickest players in the league.
    d) I think that he owes us a good game and he knows it.
    e) eiqdxx.gif29y028w.gifROG and he can cancel each other out in the tackling stakes. 29y028w.gifeiqdxx.gif

Ulster +1

So not much in it.

Home Advantage +1M

Team Work +1M

I don't know if I agree or disagree about some of the points but this post certainly makes me nervous, seems so tight and it's knockout rugby, hate games like these but then that's what rugby is all about.

phog wrote: »
    I don't know if I agree or disagree about some of the points but this post certainly makes me nervous, seems so tight and it's knockout rugby, hate games like these but then that's what rugby is all about.

The overriding sense that I get Phoggy is that Munster just do the right thing at the right time when they need to. Ulster have been failing in that regard for a few years.

Andy Kyriacou in trouble over an off the field incident in Italy. Hopefully its a once off.

Andy Kyriacou in trouble over an off the field incident in Italy. Hopefully its a once off.

Agree completly
    http://insideireland.ie/2012/03/28/ulsters-kyriacou-banned-after-italian-taxi-incident-63199/

• Advertisement

I know it's not big or clever but i did laugh when i read that. What an eejit. Seriously tho hope he's been made to apologise to the taxi driver and pay for any damage caused in addition to the disciplinary measures imposed by the club.

Not going to live that down in a hurry !

The spitting I can not understand...if he did it.
    The urinating...everyone gets an urgent urge to go for a pee when they're drunk. May be with the communication difficulties (Andy allegedly being drunk / not being able to talk coherently and the taxi driver not understanding the drunken english "stop the taxi I need to....") this contributed to making the incident worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster:
    15 Stefan Terblanche, 14 Andrew Trimble, 13 Darren Cave, 12 Paddy Wallace, 11 Craig Gilroy, 10 Ian Humphreys, 9 Ruan Pienaar,
    8 Pedrie Wannenburg, 7 Chris Henry, 6 Stephen Ferris, 5 Lewis Stevenson, 4 Johann Muller (capt), 3 John Afoa, 2 Rory Best, 1 Tom Court.

Replacements:
    16 Nigel Brady, 17 Paddy McAllister, 18 Adam Macklin, 19 Dan Tuohy, 20 Willie Faloon, 21 Paul Marshall, 22 Ian Whitten, 23 Adam D'Arcy.

Aironi:
    15 Giulio Toniolatti, 14 Sinoti Sinoti, 13 Roberto Quartaroli, 12 Matteo Pratichetti, 11 Giovanbattista Venditti, 10 Naas Olivier, 9 Tito Tebaldi,
    8 Mauro Bergamasco, 7 Nicola Cattina, 6 Joshua Furno; 5 Carlo Del Fava (capt), 4 George Biagi, 3 Fabio Staibano, 2 Fabio Ongaro, 1 Alberto De Marchi.

Replacements: 16 Antonio Denti, 17 Andrea De Marchi, 18 Salvatore Perugini, 19 Quintin Geldenhuys, 20 Filippo Ferrarini, 21 Tyson Keats, 22 Luciano Orquera, 23 Gilberto Pavan.

Date: Friday, March 30
    Kick-off: 19:05 BST
    Venue: Ravenhill
    Referee: Neil Paterson (Scotland)
    Assistant referees: Dudley Phillips (Ireland), Johan Carvill (Ireland) (Ireland)
    Television match official: Peter Ferguson (Ireland)
    Assessor: Brian Stirling (Ireland)

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7634797,00.html

I think it's pretty safe to assume that this will be the team for the H Cup QF as well except for Tuohy probably.

Strong team. Should be a 5-pointer for Ulster realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's not much of a tune up game for the ulster men is it.

Munster and Leinster obviously plan to play each other before HEC as a good hard tune up.

Home to aironi isn't exactly what's required.

durkadurka wrote: »

Munster and Leinster obviously plan to play each other before HEC as a good hard tune up.

Home to Aironi is exactly what Ulster require when they have a few players coming back from injury and the Irish lot coming back as well.

Munster will have it tough against Leinster...and a home defeat will not do much for their confidence prior to Easter Sunday. Although a home win will perk them up even more for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

durkadurka wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not, it can work both ways. If we struggle to a narrow then it won't be what we needed, however if we have a bonus point in the bag after an hour and empty the bench then we should hopefully be able to take a bit of feel good factor to Thomond.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This will be the eighth time Ulster and Aironi have played!

Interesting quote from McLaughlin regarding Tuohy and Stephenson:

"Commenting on his decision to promote Lewis Stevenson to the starting XV in place of Dan Tuohy, he said: "Lewis has been in very good form over the past couple of months. He was very good for us when he came off the bench in Treviso for the final 15 or 20 minutes so he deserves his chance. Everyone knows there are places up for grabs in every position and we have great competition throughout the squad. If players get chances they have to take them."

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/10339.php

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This will be the eighth time Ulster and Aironi have played!

Interesting quote from McLaughlin regarding Tuohy and Stephenson:

"Commenting on his decision to promote Lewis Stevenson to the starting XV in place of Dan Tuohy, he said: "Lewis has been in very good form over the past couple of months. He was very good for us when he came off the bench in Treviso for the final 15 or 20 minutes so he deserves his chance. Everyone knows there are places up for grabs in every position and we have great competition throughout the squad. If players get chances they have to take them."

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/10339.php

From what I've heard from those that were in Italy Stevenson was impressive from the bench last week. He had an exceptional game for Ulster during the 6Ns when Muller was injured, might have been the Dragons game. I still think Tuohy is favourite to start next week but it's good to see form being rewarded on the part of Stevenson.

• Advertisement

Id have no issue with Stevenson starting. I think he's a very underrated player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement