Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

computer clean up

Options
  • 16-12-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Does anyone know how I can clean up my computer hardrive I.E, permanently erase everything, do I have to. Buy software? and what type and how much does it cost.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apart from wiping the HDD completely and reinstalling the operations system:

Click Start, then choose "Control Panel." Click "System and Security," then choose "Restore Your Computer to an Earlier Time" in the Action Center section. Click "Advanced Recovery Methods," then choose "Return Your Computer to Factory Condition."

If its manufacturer brand it should be there. Otherwise wiping and reinstalling is probably the best alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

None of those methods permanently erase everything, cherryghost.

@lorenzo63 - you can use a boot disk with DBAN on it. It's free. It will wipe your disk, erasing everything. Bear in mind that it also erases your operating system, so you will have to install that if you want to pass the computer on / sell it

Some people prefer the caveman method™. Also free. Just take out your hard disk drive and destroy it with a sledge hammer :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It all depends on what you mean by "clean up" and "erase everything". DBAN is the nuclear bomb option. But may be heavy handed depending on the requirements. We just need to know exactly why the OP is doing this, and what end result they are trying to achieve.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

unkel wrote: »
    None of those methods permanently erase everything, cherryghost.

I'm well aware of that but generally casual resellers/PC reformats don't need to go down your route.

Aye I suppose as Alan says it depends on what the OP means by "permanently erase everything". I read that in the literal way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 lorenzo63

unkel wrote: »
    Aye I suppose as Alan says it depends on what the OP means by "permanently erase everything". I read that in the literal way :)

What I want is to be sure that the personal data that I have already deleted, cannot be resurrected, which I have been given to believe can be. I have deleted a lot of records which I have accumulated over the past few years online business transactions etc, as well as research material given to me by certain sites which have personal info stored on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lorenzo63

Apart from wiping the HDD completely and reinstalling the operations system:

Click Start, then choose "Control Panel." Click "System and Security," then choose "Restore Your Computer to an Earlier Time" in the Action Center section. Click "Advanced Recovery Methods," then choose "Return Your Computer to Factory Condition."

If its manufacturer brand it should be there. Otherwise wiping and reinstalling is probably the best alternative.

Thanks for that cherryghost there is no chance of info I have deleted over the years been able to restored even if I follow the instructions you have given me is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The best way is to totally nuke/overwrite the entire disk (with DBAN etc), then re-install OS. Get the install key first with magicjellybean first if sticker is illegible.

Or sell/give it away without the disk and smash it with hammers.

Or.... create new admin account. Log in to that. Delete all other accounts. Delete all unnecessary software. Run Ccleaner. Disable paging, hibernation, recycle bin, system restore. Fill the disk with copies of movies/ISO's then delete them.Do a search for index.dat files and delete them. Run Ccleaner to wipe free space. Get Sdelete and use that too.

lorenzo63 wrote: »
    Thanks for that cherryghost there is no chance of info I have deleted over the years been able to restored even if I follow the instructions you have given me is there?

Yes there is. A lot of your stuff will still be there and very easy for someone to retrieve with the help of some free software. Not an option for you!

I like bonzodog's alternative. You'd pretty much get rid of it all that way. That said, it is probably quicker & easier to do a DBAN and reinstall windows. And only this way are you 100% sure it's all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Be careful of "nuking" your hard drive without windows 7 media to get it up and running again. Most laptops come with a utility to create recovery discs. If you have the time and the DVDs make two sets in case one gets scratched. There may also be an option to boot from the recovery partition and restore the machine to it's factory settings which will be less hassle. It depends on the manufacturer of the laptop as to the procedure.
    Even after doing the factory reset it may be possible to scan the hard drive sector by sector (pinform recova) and get some of your old data back if someone wanted to. It's impossible to get data back if you use DBAN (dereks boot and nuke). It overwrites every sector of the drive.
    just a note on re instlaling windows. Many people reccomend not using the recovery discs but use a generic windows disc that doesn't have any bloatware that come with laptops. YOu must get your own drivers AND the product key sticker under your laptop must be legible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement