Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Manchester United vs Villarreal - CL Group Stage Round 1 (17/09)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,633 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bloody scoreless draw

not really much to take out of the game

except evans looks very good in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who said that Neville would improve in the second half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

When Ronnie came on it changed it up, Looked like the attacking threat of last season again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Poor result at home, thought Neville was dreadful, Ronaldo being back is a lify but was not enough for this one. Only good news I suppose is that the other game was a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

oobydooby wrote: »
    There's some clown in the Villareal midfield who constantly gives the ball away with casual passes. Really infuriates me. Every team I've ever played with has had somebody who reminds me of him:mad:

Every team ??

Are you sure it is not you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ronaldo looked really good when he came on I thought. Hope hes gonna come good for United this season the same as the last 2. Really like him as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Very good result for Villareal, they came to do a job and really they succeeded. At times both teams played some lovely lovely football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who said that Neville would improve in the second half?

me, and i got it horribly wrong :eek:

i'm not afraid to admit when i get it wrong...eagle eye r u?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Some nice overreacting there from Dunphy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nani was quite crap tonight.Invisible most of the time.Rio looked shaky at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I think this really has to be the end of Neville now in big games!

Thought Evans was good, didn't have much to do in defence, popped up in nice positions. Think his second chance skidded up quickly which didn't give him much time!

One positive to take is Ronaldo is back!:D

ronnie whelan is unbelievable/stupid.....its no wonder he never made it in management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The stuttering start continues, but let's not overreact. Celtic only managed the draw as well so it's pretty much as you were.

Looked devoid of creativity up top, most passages of play in the final third ended in frustration. Only two real chances I can think of, the ball cleared off the line and Evans' (shocking) missed header. Scholes was really missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jesus, the RTE love radical overreactions after EVERY game regardless of the team... If you play badly you're automatically muck and have no chance against FC Basel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not a good result and the performance wasn't great either. Kept the ball well and moved alright in front of them but struggled to get in behind them with our two best chances coming from a quick free kick, and a corner. Evans did look good tonight and looks comfortable on the left side of the centre of defence. More comfortable than Rio or Brown on that side anyway. I would nearly be happy for him to come in on Sunday, especially after Nevilles performance tonight.

Our season needs to be kicked off, just seems like we are waiting for the season to start. The problem being that it could be too late by the time we get going at least league wise. The aim of the CL group is always to qualify nothing else. I don't expect much from Sundays game, but we will have to get on a run after that.

corban wrote: »
    me, and i got it horribly wrong :eek:

i'm not afraid to admit when i get it wrong...eagle eye r u?
    I predicted a result that was wrong, but it was based on the United starting team and without seeing that Villarreal had decided to do likewise.
    I already admitted that I forgot that Berbatov was not on the bench.

As far as the penalty appeals go, I have not changed my mind. I still felt that disregarding those United should have been 2-0 up at half time. But the team that was selected does not score goals, remember all the one goal wins last year even with Ronaldo in the team. Ferguson to blame for this result.

To be fair, Villareal nil alled their way to Champions League semi a few years back and nearly got to the final except for a Jens Lehmann penalty save from riquelme so theyre a good team. i thought they defended really well tonight and showed good use of the ball.

United were much better than on Sat but ther problem still is there are too many players who havent had a proper pre season or have had injuries. Tonight we had: Ronaldo kicking his first ball in anger since June, Hargreaves' first game back and Park.

I said the exact same thing this time last season, United are a few weeks off clicking and when they do theyre gonna give someone an absolute hiding (last year it was Wigan) but I anticipate a few more frustrating performances before that happens.

Good to see Ronaldo getting warmly received, he was a prat but at the end of the day, he's a United player now, so draw a line in the sand, move on and get behind United including Ronaldo.

Evans isnt a United player, plain and simple, i never saw him making it at United and tonight offered nothing to change that opinion.

Neville is the better option of the 2 for Sunday and he was rubbish.

Hargreaves and Flecth were great and it will be criminal if Fletch doesnt start on Sunday (he should have started at Anfield)

All in all I want to see more urgency and desire from certain United players. I think in time the sharpness will come but there are still somee creases that definitely need to be ironed out. Im concerned about the lack of depth in the defence to be honest, Evans isnt a tope level defender for me and when u take either of Rio or Vidic out then you're down to 4 and Neville hasnt looked great.

I predicted a result that was wrong, but it was based on the United starting team and without seeing that Villarreal had decided to do likewise.
    I already admitted that I forgot that Berbatov was not on the bench.

As far as the penalty appeals go, I have not changed my mind. I still felt that disregarding those United should have been 2-0 up at half time. But the team that was selected does not score goals, remember all the one goal wins last year even with Ronaldo in the team. Ferguson to blame for this result.

we'll have to agree to disagree on the penno's :)

kmart6 wrote: »
    I think this really has to be the end of Neville now in big games!

Thought Evans was good, didn't have much to do in defence, popped up in nice positions. Think his second chance skidded up quickly which didn't give him much time!

One positive to take is Ronaldo is back!:D

Evans looked good going forward but he looked pretty shaky at the back and was far too stand offish for my liking tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Its amazing to see teh change in people's opinion of Fletcher form last year to this year.He was probably our best player tonight and he should start on Sunday with Scholes or Anderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Some classic Dunphyshyte there. "If Manchester United lose to Chelsea this weekend the league is over. They'll be more than 9 points behind." And he's been watching this league for years (and no other European leagues by the sounds of him)...

Every team ??

Are you sure it is not you :)

:o yeah just realised it. I really hate that guy though, even if it's me

Evans looked good going forward but he looked pretty shaky at the back and was far too stand offish for my liking tbh.
    I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to it..big difference for him compared to Carling/Pre-season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,825 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kmart6 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to it..big difference for him compared to Carling/Pre-season!

and the premiership with Sunderland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Evans isnt a United player, plain and simple, i never saw him making it at United and tonight offered nothing to change that opinion.

What exactly did Evans do wrong? Was sound defensively pretty much, nothing in that game showed me to be lackluster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was much impressed with United for the most part. Disappointed to not win, but we played about 100 times as good as we did against Liverpool. Ronaldo looked dangerous when he came on, shame he couldn't get a goal.

It's hard to say what would have happened if we had Berbatov (our prospective goalscorer...) on. Would he have simply finished the opportunities we had? Or would he have hindered the dynamism of our front line to the point that we would not have had so many chances? Hard to say really.

Anywho... thankfully the other teams drew also. It's 2 points lost at home, but Celtic did likewise so it's not the end of the world really.

Hopefully we'll carry this form through to Stamford Bridge. I'm not optimistic about a win though.

I thought Evans was quite good tonight. Didn't make any mistakes that I noticed (once comes to mind at the end, when he was stuck near our corner flag and panicked a bit), and seems to have a good head on him -- won quite alot in the air.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    and the premiership with Sunderland
    Difference between fighting to stay up and CL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What in the world are bitching bitching about Evans for? They had one chance in the whole game realistically, he did very well. Coulda scored but what are you gona do, he's a CB :)

I was 100% sure that Fergie was preparing for the Chelsea game after seeing that team. No doubt about it. Weakened team somewhat, but shoulda got the result.
    I'm not hugely worried about qualification, but I'd like it done earlier considering we've got a tough away game each time.

I maintain my belief that if we can stay within 5-7 points by Christmas, we'll be close to favorites. We played the top 10 away in the first half of the season, it's gona be tough. That said, not really an ideal start.

What worries me most is our attacking play has been frankly blunted. It's not just the Ronaldo thing, he adds lots, but even without him last year, we had much more zip. Everyone is playing below par. Tevez is doing well, but not great imo, just best of a bad bunch.
    Ultimatley imo it comes down to Rooney not playing well. He seems to be really frustrated, because he knows he is playing poorly. His touch, his shooting, even his movement is off-form. He desperately, desperately needs a goal.
    Without Rooney playing well, United just don't tick.

Ronaldo was fine, his touch isn't back to standard yet. I don't really expect him to do much in the Chelsea game, but knowing Ronaldo he'll do something. Expect Boswinga to be targetted again, as I recall, he's not great in the air.

Neville was poor once again. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not he can step up. It'll be sad to see him go out like this, he deserved to be the captain of a CL winning team for United, injuries though I guess happen to them all.

All that said,
    Evans should have scored, Ronaldo should have scored, we had two dead cert nailed on penalties turned down, and on a different night we could have hockied them. Alas such is football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anderson played a couple of wonderful passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Couple of woeful ones too... I wasn't overly impressed with him tonight.

Giggs was shocking when he came on.

Gaz Neville showed determination and chased down most balls, but you can see he's getting on tbh. His crossing aint what it used to be :(

Fletch was quality again today. I agree with PHB that he should really start against Chelsea, and I'd have Scholes beside him instead of Anderson.

Tevez was immense I thought. He hasn't had a bad game at all this season. AND he's dying to sign a permanent contract! Quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I agree with most of what's been said already. Fletcher was really good tonight, as was Tevez. Rooney was certainly better than he was on Saturday, but still not at his best. Evans was grand. He didn't have anything to do. Same goes for VDS.

Very frustrating evening. Aside from our finished, I don't really have any complaints. I think it was just one of those nights.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Couple of woeful ones too... I wasn't overly impressed with him tonight.

Giggs was shocking when he came on.

Gaz Neville showed determination and chased down most balls, but you can see he's getting on tbh. His crossing aint what it used to be :(

Fletch was quality again today. I agree with PHB that he should really start against Chelsea, and I'd have Scholes beside him instead of Anderson.

Tevez was immense I thought. He hasn't had a bad game at all this season. AND he's dying to sign a permanent contract! Quality player.
    Fistly Giggs did not get long enough to make an impression.
    Is your memory a little foggy? Neville was never good crosser of the ball. It was horrific tonight but he was never a good crosser of the ball.
    I agree that Fletcher should play after that performance but whats your midfield if you put Scholes in as well, and whats your lineup?
    Tevez played well but the problem is that with Ronaldo back you have tough decisions. Again whats the lineup for Sunday?
    I personally think that if Berbatov is fit, then you play him and Rooney and you will see so many more goals from Rooney if he plays behind Berbatov. Its also going to help Ronaldo.

Giggs and Neville are really beginning to show their age :( Neville was terrible tonight I think, Brown is far far superior at this stage!
    Giggs was atrocious quite frankly, broke up so many attacks by dilly dallying on the ball and ulimately losing it.
    It was frustrating as hell to watch, but once Ronaldo and Anderson came on you could see we were alot better, ok it wasn't a pleasing result, we are all dissapointed, but imo tonight showed alot of promise, we looked alot better tonight than any other game this season, its the exact same as last season isn't it? We looked absolutely clueless going forward, we looked disjointed, but hey we got our act together and our forwards clicked, the rest they say is history. I'll be hoping for the same this season :)
    Lets keep up the optimism lads :)

Smegball wrote: »
    Giggs and Neville are really beginning to show their age :( Neville was terrible tonight I think, Brown is far far superior at this stage!
    Giggs was atrocious quite frankly, broke up so many attacks by dilly dallying on the ball and ulimately losing it.
    It was frustrating as hell to watch, but once Ronaldo and Anderson came on you could see we were alot better, ok it wasn't a pleasing result, we are all dissapointed, but imo tonight showed alot of promise, we looked alot better tonight than any other game this season, its the exact same as last season isn't it? We looked absolutely clueless going forward, we looked disjointed, but hey we got our act together and our forwards clicked, the rest they say is history. I'll be hoping for the same this season :)
    Lets keep up the optimism lads :)
    You do realise that Giggs only came on in the 81st minute. Methinks everyone is adding in his mistake the weekend to his performance tonight.

You do realise that Giggs only came on in the 81st minute. Methinks everyone is adding in his mistake the weekend to his performance tonight.

Yeah, but he was awful in that stage tbh

Smegball wrote: »
    Yeah, but he was awful in that stage tbh
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Disappointing result but not a disaster. There were some plus points:

-A vast improvement on saturday (not that was hard, but it was still an improvement).
    -I thought Evans put in a very competant performance and was unlucky not to score
    -Fletcher continuing his excellant start to the season
    -Hargreaves+Park getting a game under their belts. Both did quite well in the first half imo
    -Ronaldo coming back

There obviously were the few dissapointments, mainly the score plus Neville's performance but the most concerning one imo is Rooney's form, he really is struggling and looks a shadow of himself and when Rooney isnt on form invariably United arnt. :(

But overall there are enough positives to take from the game to be raise the spirts for the Chelsea game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,301 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Disappointing result but not a disaster. There were some plus points:

-A vast improvement on saturday (not that was hard, but it was still an improvement).
    -I thought Evans put in a very competant performance and was unlucky not to score
    -Fletcher continuing his excellant start to the season
    -Hargreaves+Park getting a game under their belts. Both did quite well in the first half imo
    -Ronaldo coming back

There obviously were the few dissapointments, mainly the score plus Neville's performance but the most concerning one imo is Rooney's form, he really is struggling and looks a shadow of himself and when Rooney isnt on form invariably United arnt. :(

But overall there are enough positives to take from the game to be raise the spirts for the Chelsea game.
    there will need to be an even bigger improvement for the chelsea game - the way chelsea are playing at the moment they will brush us aside if we don't improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I thought it was a good performance by United, the best of the season so far. The goals didn't come but sometimes that happens, on another night it could have been 3-4. Don't forget Villarreal are a top side, they finished 10 points ahead of Barcelona in La Liga last season.

The criticism of Evans is baffling. The lad who is only 20, filled pretty big boots last night and in my opinion didn't put a foot wrong, he was decent in the box too and cause a couple of problems. He was unlucky not to score, but I think he did the right thing in going near post, deperately unlucky.

Nani played some excellent wing play, I counted 8 decent crosses, unfortunately the cast of willie wanka and chocolate factory were in the box at the time.

Ronaldo being back is a huge boost, the whole stadium felt it, Hargreaves getting a sold 60 minutes is a plus too.

Rooney needs to stop forcing everything, relax and play like he knows he can.

United are not there yet, they might not get there this weekend either, but someone in the near future will get a hiding and it begins then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Was listening to radio 5 live last night after the match and they had a caller on who was driving home after being at the game. He was asked how Ronaldo was received when he came on and he said, "very well actually but I wasnt overjoyed personally, best way I could compare the situation was if my wife had tip toed back into the bedroom after being out with another bloke" LOL, made me laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

personally i couldnt believe the reception Ronaldo got- singing his name? standing ovation? fans who did that are a ****ing farce to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    personally i couldnt believe the reception Ronaldo got

Master. Alan I'm not surprised your shocked - but then again your not used to the classier fan. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

personally i couldnt believe the reception Ronaldo got- singing his name? standing ovation? fans who did that are a ****ing farce to be honest.

Did you cheer Steven Gerrad as he ran out onto the pitch to play against TNS in a Champions League qualifier in 2005?

Did you just call yourself a farce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no idea wat you're talking about Boggles. simple fact is, he ****ed you round all summer, embarrased your club, Ferguson even admitted as much yesterday when he said "his head has been turned by money, but when we told him our decision, he accepted it"......ie:he didnt have any change of heart, he was told he couldnt go, he doesnt wanna be at Utd and yet he is cheered onto the pitch? his name sung?

if the same happened with Torres, i'd call the fans who cheered him a farce too. it is a farce, and tbh, i thought Utd fans would be above that sort of fickleness.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Did you cheer Steven Gerrad as he ran out onto the pitch to play against TNS in a Champions League qualifier in 2005?

Did you just call yourself a farce?

first off; no i didnt.
    Gerrard went a long way to repairing the damage by saying that he never wanted to leave after it, and signing a new long term contract. although a lot of the "hardcore" fans have never really forgiven him-which is a little harsh imo.

also lets remember, it was Gerrards decision to stay at Liverpool-Ronaldo still wants to be at Madrid.

surely even you can see the differences in the two cases? its a lazy comparrison to make Pighead. I expect better from you, you must try harder in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,825 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is everybody thinking the same thing as me after reading the post above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tauren wrote: »
    there will need to be an even bigger improvement for the chelsea game - the way chelsea are playing at the moment they will brush us aside if we don't improve.
    No doubt about it, but Im more confident we can after last nights performance. Plus the game time Hargreaves, Park, Ronaldo, Evans and Neville got should stand them us better stead for the weekend. But anyways thats for another thread. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Villareal will be a tough team to beat for anyone. United were unlucky last night. There knocking on the door of getting top form going, need to beat them on Sun.

Evans looked decent but why was he playing? What happened with Vidic? too hungover to go surfing the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

United will be more successful this year if Ronaldo plays well. Ronaldo will play better for united if he's not sulking. He won't be sulking if the fans encourage him. What is so farcical about supporters wanting there team to be as strong as possible?

Trilla wrote: »
    Is everybody thinking the same thing as me after reading the post above?

Yeah - you get the bags and I'll fill the cars.

CHD wrote: »
    Villareal will be a tough team to beat for anyone. United were unlucky last night. There knocking on the door of getting top form going, need to beat them on Sun.

Evans looked decent but why was he playing? What happened with Vidic? too hungover to go surfing the net.

I reckon Fergie was planning on eithe rplaying Evans at CB on Sun, or Neville at RB and Brown at CB; and wanted to see how Evans and Neville were doing at the moment in relation to a competitive match. For me Evans is the better option than Neville based on last nights performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

surely even you can see the differences in the two cases? its a lazy comparrison to make Pighead. I expect better from you, you must try harder in future.
    I can see the difference alright. Gerrard was about to turn his back on his hometown club, the club he had played for since he was a kid and the club he had professed his undying love for. Ronaldo is not even from the same country never mind the same town.

Advertisement