Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool vs Marseilles - CL Group Stage Round 1 (16/09)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zAbbo wrote: »
    Liverpool don't really deserve 3 points here.

Scoring more goals than Marseille says different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

zAbbo wrote: »
    Liverpool don't really deserve 3 points here.

Don't agree. While Marseilles have done well the last half hour - Babel had two very clear chances to kill the game.

God bless Reina though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

what a save from reina, although i dont know if he knew much about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Played Pepe.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

Pheewwww...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Daragh Moloney - what a bozo! He sounded genuinly offended that Rafa was not playing him from the start.

Anyway job done just about - Carra and Masch (and Lucas and Dossena) were all less than great. Carra should sit out Saturdays game I think and Masch too possibly.

Riera didn't have much time to do much but he made a sublime little move to gain in yard of space and release the ball to Babel (I think)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Reina made 2 or 3 important saves near the end, but it shouldn't have even come to that. Pool let them back in the game, just about worth the win. Just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

my christ Lucas was muck :/

lucky, but thats our story in europe :rolleyes:

Phew! Squeaky bum like last half hour. Though Babel's chances should not be forgotten - irrespective of what anyone says. You put one of them away and that's it. Good saves from the keeper though it must be said.

Arbeloa and Reina made a couple of very good interventions. Kuyt looked very tired in the last half hour. We know Carragher has lost some pace over the past couple of years (when he wasn't exactly the quickest to begin with).

Overall, it's a great result - even if the performance in the second half was flawed. I made a point of watching Marseilles in the French highlights on Setanta last night and they did something similiar as the second half - played with bags of pace; created loads of chances and failed to be clinical infront of goal. I think they may trouble either PSV or Athletico in the Velodrome (particularly the former) - so we can be happy with our chances of qualification at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Not good enough, we started with the wrong side, didn't know what we were at and didn't string 2 passes together. The substitutions were pointless.
    Of all players you want on the pitch with the way that the game was going you'd want Alonso, he'd get on the ball and control midfield, but no... he doesn't bring him on.
    Lucas just isn't up to scratch, what was he doing on the pitch. For me Benitez just isn't doing in and we will never win the prem with him.

We'll see what side he plays against stoke, theres no use having a good side if you only play your best team against the top 3, we drop too many needless points. No point in beating united if we drop points to Villa (who were having a bad game)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

we can do no right in the eyes of RTE pundit. Dunphy - "They were there for the taking" and we took 3 points, job done. Dunphy just said if you take the money for Arbeloa, Lucas and any other "crap" signing we could have had Tevez... terrible maths there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Phew.

Positives:

Babel was fantastic, really really good.
    Gerrard looked v.sharp
    Carragher & Skrtel were both solid
    Reina made some great saves
    Riera again looked very composed and almost created a goal

Negitives:

Lucas was absolutely dire. The most obvious substitution for me was Alonso on for Lucas. We needed to keep the ball and calm the game down. Alonso would have been perfect. Instead, Rafa left Lucas on - he constantly gave the ball away and went in with rash tackles. Looked out of his depth.

Mascherano looked tired, understandibley.

Dossena was very shakey and gave the ball away a lot.

Why cant Liverpool ever calm the game down once they are in the lead ? Instead of keeping the ball, passing it around and making the other team work - they always sit back and gave the ball away time after time after time. The game today, and countless others, could have been won much more comfortably.

However, after the United game & this game, we seem to be in much better form than the start of the season and still havent lost..which is good stuff.

Tusky wrote: »
    Why cant Liverpool ever calm the game down once they are in the lead ? .

Because we begin with the wrong players in wrong positions so don't totally dominate, this gives the other team heart and when they go all out were missing players like alonso to settle it.
    We also change the formation from the weekend for some reason, which worked well enopugh to beat united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

just listening to rte and i think we lost 4-1:mad: not a great 2-1 away win in europe.
    Certain panel members believe their own hype,vincent hogan was right a while back,these boys are rubbish.No match analysis just attacks on the manager.
    Saying we are miles behind Arsenal?take a look at rafas years in charge compared to wengers in the same period.

Good win,great first half and poor second.
    Babel,Gerrard and the bits of Riera were good and its a great start to the campaign

colly10 wrote: »
    We also change the formation from the weekend for some reason, which worked well enopugh to beat united

Surely it is reasonable to expect changes to tactics and formations considering the different challenges Utd at home and Marseilles away present?

raven136 wrote: »
    just listening to rte and i think we lost 4-1:mad: not a great 2-1 away win in europe.
    Certain panel members believe their own hype,vincent hogan was right a while back,these boys are rubbish.No match analysis just attacks on the manager.
    Saying we are miles behind Arsenal?take a look at rafas years in charge compared to wengers in the same period.

Good win,great first half and poor second.
    Babel,Gerrard and the bits of Riera were good and its a great start to the campaign

I love how they showed Marseille's four chances in the second half and failed to mention Babel's two really good chances which came before the last two created by the home team.

Selective and dishonest punditry imo. Or grossly incompetent. :rolleyes:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Surely it is reasonable to expect changes to tactics and formations considering the different challenges Utd at home and Marseilles away present?

Why? Did we go out to draw the game today? Why have Torres on his own up front when we did fine with 2 strikers at the weekend?

Why? Did we go out to draw the game today? Why have Torres on his own up front when we did fine with 2 strikers at the weekend?

because torres worked better all season last year on his own and always has done.
    Babel worked closer with him and gerarrd and it became a near 4-3-3 when we had the ball around their box.

People need to stop listening to Dunphy and Co. I'll listen to them when i see their managerial qualities,oh yeah lets ask souness how managing liverpool went for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Oh great, yet another pundit harping on about all the money Benitez has spent with a complete disregard to how much he's actually recouped. Dunphy does his profession proud.

• Advertisement

Pundits are muppets, controversy not facts or insight is thier stock in trade.

Its why as soon as the game ended I came here. Dunphy and co are of little use to me.

Mike.

There was nothing about that performance that was good enough, with the players we have we should have no problem playing the ball around amongst ourselves, we struggled to get the passing going at all today.
    They are not a particularly strong side, we just made them look good by booting the ball up the pitch instead of being calm on the ball and finding a player.
    It's good enough to get through the group but it is not a performance of a side you expect to challenge for the prem. We are good enough but we need to play our best players in our best positions.

I don't buy into this crap of chopping and changing the team, Lampard played over 160 games in a row and there was no problems with him, not playing is what causes you to loose your sharpness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not good enough, we started with the wrong side, didn't know what we were at and didn't string 2 passes together. The substitutions were pointless.
    Of all players you want on the pitch with the way that the game was going you'd want Alonso, he'd get on the ball and control midfield, but no... he doesn't bring him on.
    Lucas just isn't up to scratch, what was he doing on the pitch. For me Benitez just isn't doing in and we will never win the prem with him.

We'll see what side he plays against stoke, theres no use having a good side if you only play your best team against the top 3, we drop too many needless points. No point in beating united if we drop points to Villa (who were having a bad game)

Dunphy is that you?

There was nothing about that performance that was good enough, with the players we have we should have no problem playing the ball around amongst ourselves, we struggled to get the passing going at all today.
    They are not a particularly strong side, we just made them look good by booting the ball up the pitch instead of being calm on the ball and finding a player.
    It's good enough to get through the group but it is not a performance of a side you expect to challenge for the prem. We are good enough but we need to play our best players in our best positions.

I don't buy into this crap of chopping and changing the team, Lampard played over 160 games in a row and there was no problems with him, not playing is what causes you to loose your sharpness

how does the league table look this year so far?
    stick your fat frank ,thanks all the same.
    we won,we played well in the first half and not in the second.
    Anyone think that tiredness player a part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,580 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The French deserved something from the game, Cheyrou was very impressed, ran midfield.

Great goal by Stephen Le Tissier, top top quality!

I know Rafa "Park The Bus" Benitez has a fantastic record on recouping money on muck players, but he would be lucky to get bus fare for Dossena, terrible player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Boggles wrote: »
    The French deserved something from the game, Cheyrou was very impressed, ran midfield.

Great goal by Stephen Le Tissier, top top quality!

I know Rafa "Park The Bus" Benitez has a fantastic record on recouping money on muck players, but he would be lucky to get bus fare for Dossena, terrible player.

He's a regular now for Lippi with Italy, there must be something about him, give him a chance to settle in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah I just HATE when a new player moves to a new country and isn't immediately fantastic! fck sake like, wtf Rafa!!

/sarcasm

In all fairness, he's shown plenty of flashes in his games so far, particularly in the prem that he can be very very good going forward, taking on players and getting in crosses. Yeah he's looked rubbish at times, as many many many players do for a few months after joining a new team.

Bit of realism, patience and perspective perhaps?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Dunphy is that you?

I disagree with most of what that chap says, I am a pool fan but I would have to question why we have players of such quality that cannot put a few passes together? We needed Alonso to be brought on and it didn't happen
    how does the league table look this year so far?

Yes, we are top of the table, it is early days. If he plays a strong side every week and makes sensible substitutions throughout the season then there's a good chance we'll still be there at the end, if he doesn't we won't.
    stick your fat frank ,thanks all the same.

Not a fan of Lampard, one of the most overrated in the prem till recently, the point was about rotation
    we won,we played well in the first half and not in the second.
    Anyone think that tiredness player a part

Actually it could have, we did really work against united

Boggles did at least spot how Gerrards goal was indeed just like a Le Tiss special.

Mike

He has been poor but so was Aurelio when he joined and he turned out to be a good player, it's early days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I don't know why people are complaining about our team tonight. Our front four were excellent at the end of last season and this is the first time they've all really been this year, so it certainly wasn't a weak team, and certainly not one set up to get a draw.

Babel could easily have had a hat-trick and was very dangerous throughout. He always looks likely to give the ball away, but if he continues to be this dangerous it's a decent trade-off.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Boggles did at least spot how Gerrards goal was indeed just like a Le Tiss special.

Mike

I knew you would appreciate that Mike. ;)

All honesty it was a very very special goal, strike of the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Evra was rubbish in his first few games for United in a new country. Unfair to judge Dossena now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dossena played LB/WB with 3 CB's last season - he needs to be eased into the first team.

Evra was rubbish in his first few games for United in a new country. Unfair to judge Dossena now.

Indeed Evra probably had one of the worst debuts I have ever seen, taken off at half time if I remember correctly.

I can only judge Dossena on what I have seen of him in the 5 games or so. He is 27 years of age and supposedly peak, he didn't cost peanuts either, if he continues in the same vain I don't think we will see much of him to judge him.

Your right thou, too early to completely right him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have seen very little to be excited about in regards to Dossena. Hes having a pretty rough time settling in by the looks of things. Its far far too early to judge though and Rafa has never made a bad defensive signing when he has spent 5m + so he needs time to settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

We got the 3 points at the end of the day and thats all that matters. Was happy with Babels performance tonight, he didn't let himself get outmuscled while on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Liverpool will never do right in the eyes of the RTE panel, we hurt them too much in Istanbul, and Rafa made Dunphy look too big a fool for him to ever forget it, he'll have to have dig after dig after dig until Rafa gets sacked and THEN Dunphy will be right.

We beat these 4-0 last December and did we get much credit that night? Nah, picked away at little faults in the team, how they let themselves get in that must win position in the first place etc etc.

Take them with a pinch of salt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Mike

yes but le tiss was renown for being lazy and lethargic which knowing boggles is wat hes trying to hit on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I think Rafa is finally getting the squad to where he wants it to be. For example, I think he looked at the central midfield positions and, rather than thinking to himself "Alonso and Mascherano are my best pairing, I'll play them", he had the luxury of thinking "Alonso has played two internationals recently and a tough game against Utd, I will want his control and creativity to open up Stoke, so I'll give him a rest, and I can rest Mascherano at the weekend". Similarly Keane was given a rest. Benitez can keep players fit and fresh and still pick up three points away from home in the CL against difficult opponents. Not a perfect performance, but a perfect result -both in terms of the score and in terms of the shape the squad is in for the next game. And still he gets criticized by those who should know better.

Gerets' "bunnies" comment shows how important that side of the game has become, and Liverpool can only do it because players are rotated at key times. Of course you still need to win games, in the past Liverpool haven't won enough so Benitez gets criticized, but so far this season we have continued to pick up maximum points. This is how perfomances like the one against United are possible, and because of rotation we will still be putting in performances like that in April and May. If - and it's a big if - we are still in touch at that time, it will stand us in good stead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Robert David Keane on. WTF is that about? :)

Rebranding ala Andrew Cole? :D

I didn't see the whole match, but from what I saw Marseilles looked quite fast and dangerous. Missed a couple of sitters though.

• Advertisement

but so far this season we have continued to pick up maximum points.

We dropped points to Villa (and Villa were poor that day). We didn't push on and try to win the game. We started with Lucas as well that day and strange subs were made
    This is how perfomances like the one against United are possible, and because of rotation we will still be putting in performances like that in April and May. If - and it's a big if - we are still in touch at that time, it will stand us in good stead.

We have the quality to compete with united playing our strongest side regardless of previous rotation, if we constantly rotate we may have fresh players at the end of the season when it's too late.
    If playing against a weak side, if we go 2 goals up I agree with taking players straight off for a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I thought it was quite a good performance from Liverpool. it's clear they didn't want to over exert themselves, I mean some of them did look a little lethargic, but they did exactly what was needed. Besides, starting off a CL group with an away game is never ideal, particularly when there are a few new faces in the side still yet to settle in.

With Atletico thumping PSV (with help from a couple of Pool old boys), it should be between them and Liverpool, I would not like to suggest a stitch up though ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Im a liverpool fan have been for donkies and i agree with almost EVERYTHING Eamo says about Liverpool

Rafa (who i like as a bloke ish) is a "hold on" manager
    Liverpool should be a "sit on it" team

If you dont know the difference your a liverpool fan in name but not in philosophy or understanding

There is a reason yer average liverpool fan on the Net NOW writes the same way as yer average ManU fan (hint its to do with yer average Man U fan not belonging anywhere near a football or football club!!!):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dunphy doesn't understand the modern game.

Teams need to rotate. The big question is who they rotate and for what game. That's the difference between winning and losing.

PHB wrote: »
    Dunphy doesn't understand the modern game.

Teams need to rotate. The big question is who they rotate and for what game. That's the difference between winning and losing.

Rotation is irrelvevant to the philosophy of how a team plays, it is to united,
    How you try to play is how you try to play, no matter who is on the pitch
    Football, get the ball, keep the ball, dont give away the ball, score when the opposition come out of position to try and get the ball off you
    Thats Football

2nd half tonight was not football, liverpool do not play enough football, not as any liverpool fan worth listening to would see it

There are too many people in Ireland and Britain who claim to like football who belong at a GAA or Rugby match not at a football match!
    That would be fine except they tend to be the ones wearing the shirts and shouting their heads off in pubs/paper/chatrooms/overpriced seats:eek::mad:

elshambo wrote: »
    Rotation is irrelvevant to how a team plays, it is to united,
    How you try to play is how you try to play, no matter who is on the pitch
    Football, get the ball, keep the ball, dont give away the ball, score when the opposition come out of position to try and get the ball off you
    Thats Football

2nd half tonight was not football, liverpool do not play enough football, not as any liverpool fan worth listening to would see it

There are too many people in Ireland and Britain who claim to like football who belong at a GAA or Rugby match not at a football match!
    That would be fine except they tend to be the ones wearing the shirts and shouting their heads off in pubs/paper/chatrooms/overpriced seats:eek:

football like all sports is about winning....we won(am i allowed to say "we"as in i go to the match and sit in the overpriced seats and sometimes i even wear a club shirt,although not as much with the boycott)
    If you want great"football" go support arsenal or barca.Barca played the best attacking minded football of the past two years in la liga but madrid have won the title,by hard word,bloodymindedness and agression.

Agree with phb,dunphy knows very little about modern football.There are so many better pundits out there,Marcotti and Martin Samuel to name two.

football like all sports is about winning....we won(am i allowed to say "we"as in i go to the match and sit in the overpriced seats and sometimes i even wear a club shirt,although not as much with the boycott)
    If you want great"football" go support arsenal or barca.Barca played the best attacking minded football of the past two years in la liga but madrid have won the title,by hard word,bloodymindedness and agression.

Agree with phb,dunphy knows very little about modern football.There are so many better pundits out there,Marcotti and Martin Samuel to name two.

you can say what you like!

"great football"? Barca? giving the ball away, cant defend, buy players based on rep not ability and play them in a system that doesnt suit! Great?
    Arsenal, cant defend, nothing great about that
    its not either or, too many "modern" (and im not old!) fans think there is a trade off defense and attack because they have been told there is by countless tv interviews and blokes like Marcotti

There is no trade off, other team cant score if you keep the ball, keepin the ball is harder than just kicking it away, liverpool way is/should be keeping the ball, thats all Eamo/Gyles ever say about liverpool and they are RIGHT!!!

As for about winning, is it easier to win when you have the ball and the other team has few chances or you keep giving the ball away and the other team has a lot of chances in the last few minutes?
    few chances v's plently of chances, which is better? thats all Eamo/Gyles ever say about liverpool.

RAVEN u realise you a liverpool ticket holder just told another liverpool fan who still has the key ring he bought when he went to anfield as a young kid in 1985 that if he wants to see good football he should stop supporting liverpool and go see arsenal
    Liverpool fans should/do expect more! why dont you?

If thats what being a liverpool fan is
    good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

With Atletico thumping PSV (with help from a couple of Pool old boys)

It was mainly just Aguero though... hahahah

What a goal again by Gerrard, he really is an amazing player.

• Advertisement

elshambo wrote: »
    Im a liverpool fan have been for donkies and i agree with almost EVERYTHING Eamo says about Liverpool

Rafa (who i like as a bloke ish) is a "hold on" manager
    Liverpool should be a "sit on it" team

If you dont know the difference your a liverpool fan in name but not in philosophy or understanding

There is a reason yer average liverpool fan on the Net NOW writes the same way as yer average ManU fan (hint its to do with yer average Man U fan not belonging anywhere near a football or football club!!!):eek:

I don't think you are as smart as you would like to believe.

There are (or have been) very few club sides in the world who can pass the ball well enough to be able to kill a game by grinding out the clock and monopolizing possession for long stretches when playing away from home.

Those that are, will generally have (or had) players who are technically gifted and comfortable on the ball in 9 or more positions on the pitch. We don't have that sort of class all the way through the squad.

In any case, finding players these days who are exceptional athletically AND the kind who are excellent at getting it down and playing it around at varying tempos is extremely difficult. Take our four first names on the teamsheet for example: Gerrard, Carragher, Torres and Mascherano. They are all top class players but are not the type of players that are going to do what you or Eamo think is so easy.

- Gerrard is at his best when he is going for the killer pass, dribble or shot. He is very direct in style and has shown to be at his worst when attempting to dictate play from the center of the park;
    - Mascherano is a phenomenal athlete, who defends and tackles as well as any player in the world. But his biggest weakness is when he attempts to knock the ball about;
    - Carragher is maybe better on the ball than he is given credit for, but is definitely not in the top twenty ball playing center halfs in Europe;
    - Torres is bad at linking play outside the box. He loses possession a very high percentage of the time when receiving it. But who cares? He is lethal at scoring goals;

What our four best players bring to the table is pace, athleticism and directness. But their natural game is to play at a high tempo when they have the ball and look to get it moving forward and further it on quickly. They happen to be awesome at either winning the ball back or driving towards the opposition goal at a high pace, and it is a big part of why we win games.

But that is your core, and they don't fit a style of football that Barcelona or Arsenal play. Your core is going to dictate what is possible tactically.

Pundits like Dunphy and laymen like yourself like to trivialize how difficult it is to A) build squads over a period of time and B) to keep all the balls in the air over a 55 game plus season. And secondly, you tend to A) believe that there is only one way to skin the cat B) hang your hats on the fabled impact that one of the players who isn't featuring at any point would surely bring.

The studio tonight was adamant that Alonso would surely have changed the entire course of the second half tonight. Nonsense. Alonso is known to be slightly errand with his passing through lapses in concentration and, in any case, one good (not world class) player will always struggle to completely change the tempo of a team's play.

We got a good result tonight away from home and, whilst it may not have looked particularly pretty, we have been getting them so frequently over the past five years that at some point it should be beyond question or consideration as nothing more than luck. Right?

I mean, I think it should be clear to anyone that the Benitez's philosophy works in Europe. The critics frequently claim though that it won't work in the premiership. That it will be impossible for us to play like we do and do enough over 38 games to win the league. Because we don't pass the ball well enough; hold possession long enough; and impose our game on the opposition often enough to win the premiership. And of course, those who spout such a train of thought of course believe that the book is closed on the subject. That this is A) set in stone as footballing reality and B) that the way Benitez currently goes about business will never change.

Well, last year we win the league if we A) take more out of the games versus the other three contenders or B) Beat Reading away, Wigan at home, Birmingham away, Boro away, Villa at home - all games that could have been won with a few bounces here and there. We're closer than people like to admit, and for all their pretty football - Arsenal tailed off dramatically last year both physically and mentally. Get your old Liverpool tapes out - in Europe they were given all day on the ball from continental teams that never closed down. And at home they were given the ball time and time again by teams that were rubbish at holding on to it. It's not that easy anymore. And getting it right like Utd and Chelsea have the past few years is no easy task.

It took Ferguson more than five years to get title number one. Mourinhio is a genius who was given some of the best talent available in European football to work with. Maybe everyone is right and there only is one way - and they will be vindicated some time in the next three years when Benitez is sacked with no premiership medal to his name.

But the real acid test will be how close the next guy in will get.

Advertisement