Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terry's Sending Off

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

nah you have it arseways. most people hate Terry because he gets away with what IS deserved.
    nah you have it arseways. You hate him and therefore will say the sending off is perfectly ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

CHD wrote: »
    nah you have it arseways. You hate him and therefore will say the sending off is perfectly ok.

nice comeback; restating your initial argument. love the ingenuity of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

it wasnt deserved.

but i loved it anyway and glad he got one. luck evens out.
    i didnt like it as much as that time when he fell on his ar$e in the CL final for that peno. that was just brilliant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

nice comeback; restating your initial argument. love the ingenuity of it.
    Wasn't a comeback i was speaking the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whats your defense for this, there is no defense it was a certain red card offense.

You guys that defend Terry are saying that he was not last man back when he stamped on Jo's foot and then Rugby tackled him to the ground.

Lets just highlight the important bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

eagle eye wrote: »
    You guys that defend Terry are saying that he was not last man back when he stamped on Jo's foot and then Rugby tackled him to the ground.

Lets just highlight the important bit.

Your missing the big point. Nobody is defending JT here. I for one think it was woeful tackle. That said I do believe it was a yellow card tackle. What constitutes a professional foul? When someone who knows they can't get the ball takes the man instead? Probably yes but if this is an auto red card then we would have about 5 or 6 of these a game!

As for the ref. Personally I think he realised he got it wrong and came out with that response to try and justify the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Any foul anywhere on the pitch were there has been no intention whatsoever to even try to play the ball is a straight red for me.
    Only discussion could be imho is the amount of games missed for a foul like this.
    Of course this rugby tackle is not even half as bad compared to the one in the Newcastle-Hull game but for me this is a valid red card.
    If more refs gave red cards for these kind of tackles, the game might profit from it.
    I watch matches because i want to see skillfull attackers making monkeys out of defenders, or defenders outplaying attackers on defensive skills or maybe on pure strenght. I dont want to see rugby tackles like this, it has nothing to do with great defensive skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

inforfun wrote: »
    Any foul anywhere on the pitch were there has been no intention whatsoever to even try to play the ball is a straight red for me.

yeah thats for you, thats not the rules of the game. You can't condone incidents or people based on pure personal feelings without taking in the actual rules of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'd like to clear something up about this. Nowhere in the rule book does it say anything about if there is a covering defender or last man back. Terry deserved to be sent off. It was a cynical foul and a professional foul.

Lets say it was the other way around and it was Anelka going past Dunne. There wouldn't be ANY of the coverage this is getting.

I also think that Vidic should have been sent off for taking down Keane, but that doesn't matter cos he got sent off in the end anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Anyone listen to the Today FM phone in after the live match on Saturday when Stapleton was saying that it was no great panic that Vidic was missing for the Chelsea match and United have cover, he went on to say not exact but "sure the chances are Chelsea will have one of there high profile players sent off against City" - Scary Mystic Frank! :eek:

Terry deserved to go this explains better than I could

Terry: The Facts
    I've just read the Man City-Chelsea report in the Telegraph and have to get this off my chest.

If top Premier League players (Frank Lampard, Chelsea) and so-called top football journalists (Duncan White, the Telegraph) are still so pig ignorant about the rules of the game they're paid vast sums to play or report on, how can they expect fans to show any respect to them or their opinions when they go public about the latest refereeing 'howler'?

Take Lampard, bleating about his mate JT seeing red.

I quote; "There were two players behind him," he said. "If you start giving cards out like that, you will end up with a five-a-side game. John Terry wants to play football, he wants to play against Manchester United on Sunday and we need him as captain."

Frank, pay attention; 'JT' wasn't sent off for denying Jo a goalscoring opportunity, he saw red because he acted like a sneering, arrogant cheat, contemptuous of the rules which he clearly believe don't apply to him. The ball had gone past Terry and Jo was about to do the same, when Franks' hero magically changed codes, switching in a heartbeat from Association Football to Rugby Union. Jonny T, as he now should surely be referred as, threw himself like a Six Nations superstar and with a crunching arm lock tackled Jo to the ground. Intended, cynical and deliberate with malice aforethought. Step away from the pie and notice the difference, Frank. (Oh, and when little children are naughty they're not allowed to go outside and play, and next Sunday nor should 'JT', geddit?)

Then we have Mr White's contribution: 'Mark Halsey's decision was in stark contrast to Howard Webb's refusal to send off Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic for a similar offence on Robbie Keane at Anfield. Although Scolari refused to criticise the official, Lampard was not so reticent. Given the news that Chelsea will appeal, there is a real prospect that he will be available to lead out his side at Stamford Bridge in a game that, if won, will take them nine points clear of the champions by Sept 21.

Give me strength! Vidic could have gone, but was spared by the again excellent Howard Webb because there was (just) a semblance of a genuine tackle in his tussle with Keane. A football incident, then. Terry on the other hand, well I'm thinking nope. Just a jack-s**t of a wrestle to the ground in a 'non shall pass' naked piece of cheating. The look on Terry's face when the expected yellow card was in fact red was priceless. Is Mr White unable to identify the difference? Is he also aware that a straight red card cannot be reduced to merely a yellow, and that for Chelsea's appeal to succeed they must demonstrate that JT should not have even been booked?

Terry was sent off for Serious Foul Play, and unless teammates and press get their act together on the actual laws of the game they'll continue to make themselves sound like arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,328 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

evil_seed wrote: »
    I also think that Vidic should have been sent off for taking down Keane, but that doesn't matter cos he got sent off in the end anyway.

If it had been straight red he would have been looking at a ban for a few games right? Double yellow is only 1 game, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

exactly. How can boggles possibly say "Vidic could have gone, but was spared by the again excellent Howard Webb because there was (just) a semblance of a genuine tackle in his tussle with Keane", semblence of a tackle my arse, he chopped Keane down, was the last man, and was about half the distance from goal as the Terry incident. Boggles, saying that Webb got it right (or posting an article that articulates your feelings on the matter) shows just how shambolic some of your points are.

that thing you posted is nonsense. Terry did foul Jo, using all the lovely sentences like:
    he saw red because he acted like a sneering, arrogant cheat, contemptuous of the rules which he clearly believe don't apply to him. The ball had gone past Terry and Jo was about to do the same, when Franks' hero magically changed codes, switching in a heartbeat from Association Football to Rugby Union.

......doesnt change the fact that NO ONE is saying that is wasnt a foul, and that Terry shouldnt be punished for it.....he should be and it was a foul obviously. Just wasnt one that merited a red card. It wasnt a genuine goal scoring opportunity, he wasnt the last man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Am I the only one that doesn't think that Keane was "chopped" down? He was falling over before any contact was even made.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ......doesnt change the fact that NO ONE is saying that is wasnt a foul, and that Terry shouldnt be punished for it.....he should be and it was a foul obviously. Just wasnt one that merited a red card. It wasnt a genuine goal scoring opportunity, he wasnt the last man.

He blatantly cheated - how you can condone that I don't know. Time to stamp this out of the game and fair play to the ref.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't think that Keane was "chopped" down? He was falling over before any contact was even made.

Doesn't matter, Keane could have been clean through with no goalkeeper and it still wouldn't be considered a goal scoring opportunity. :D:D:D

people blatantly cheat every match, every week, its not a red card offence to do so unless (1)the foul is dangerous, (2) stops a genuine goal scoring opportunity/last man. Terrys was neither.

if you were just honest and said, i dont think it should be overturned because Chelsea play Utd next and i dont want him involved, i for one, would have more respect for you...but trying to dress your opinion up as wanting wat is best for the game as a whole stinks of ****e.

• Advertisement

people blatantly cheat every match, every week, its not a red card offence to do so unless (1)the foul is dangerous, (2) stops a genuine goal scoring opportunity/last man. Terrys was neither.

Ovbiously it is a red.
    if you were just honest and said, i dont think it should be overturned because Chelsea play Utd next and i dont want him involved, i for one, would have more respect for you...but trying to dress your opinion up as wanting wat is best for the game as a whole stinks of ****e.

He blatantly cheated, yes or no?. Whether it be good for the game or not, he deserved to go.

so if someone pulls someones shirt outside the box, at the half way line say.... they deserve to go? straight red?

it can hardly be an accident, therefore it must be "blatantly cheating" and by your new refereeing standards its an automatic straight red.

To quote a great man;
    if you were just honest and said, i dont think it should be overturned because Chelsea play Utd next and i dont want him involved, i for one, would have more respect for you...but trying to dress your opinion up as wanting wat is best for the game as a whole stinks of ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I cant find a photo of it but when i was watching match of the day on saturday it seemed to me that carvalho was in a position to get back.... but nobody seems to mention that would leave carvalho's man (was it robinho?) completely open.

also I'm pretty sure there is no such rule as "last man" , if someone wants to provide a link to prove it other wise please do.

Also people say it was a goal oppertunity... take terry out of the equation: that left jo and robinho(?) with only carvalho in front of them and bosingwa quite close behind them. Robinho is a lot faster than Carvalho .... sounds like a opportunity to me.

Someone said something like " if thats a red then every trip 45 yards out from goal should be a red card". Thats a rather large crock of sh1t. A trip, even if it was intentional, potentially could have been an accident or a tired tackle. In some cases its very hard for the ref disginuise between what was intentional or an accident when its a trip.

John Terry intentional took him down with something that couldnt be mistaken for anything but what it was. I thought the ref was right.

so if someone pulls someones shirt outside the box, at the half way line say.... they deserve to go? straight red?

it can hardly be an accident, therefore it must be "blatantly cheating" and by your new refereeing standards its an automatic straight red.

To quote a great man;

Listen Alan, he rugby tackled the guy from behind to blatantly stop a goal scoring opportunity, it is not my refereeing standards ovbiously because I didn't make the decision. If he had actually indulged in the sport he is handsomely paid to play and brought down Jo by some semblance of a footballing tackle then yes I would say it was very harsh and he only deserved a yellow.

But based on reality and what actually happend, it was cynical and he deservered to go, stop saying my opinion is based on United up next, I'm actually basing it on what I saw and what happened, leave your liverpool/United shíté at the door for at least one day/thread please.

oh my word boggles. i'll leave it. i've said my piece already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Does intent not have anything to do with it?

Whether or not they were horribly malicious tackles, both tackles were made with the intent of stopping the striker's run on goal. Neither could have known their teammates would make up the ground to cover so they played it safe - i.e. took the player out. Whether or not they were technically "the last man", the intent should be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Not 100% sure about Terrys foul, there has been a lot worse but then again i've seen reds given for less. I am 100% confident the card won't be taken away, the FA don't like to do it because it makes the refs look bad.

I think the challenge people shout be talking about is Guthries "challenge" on Fagan, wreckless, Guthrie says after the match that its because he was frustrated, is this a real excuse? Seriously whats going to happen in 4 games time when he loses his temper again? Is he going to put another player off the pitch for 3 months?

MOG7 wrote: »

I think the challenge people shout be talking about is Guthries "challenge" on Fagan, wreckless, Guthrie says after the match that its because he was frustrated, is this a real excuse? Seriously whats going to happen in 4 games time when he loses his temper again? Is he going to put another player off the pitch for 3 months?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055378436

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,328 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MOG7 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure about Terrys foul, there has been a lot worse but then again i've seen reds given for less. I am 100% confident the card won't be taken away, the FA don't like to do it because it makes the refs look bad.

indeed - i can't believe more has not been made of his attack on Fagan. It was never an attempt for the ball - it was a deliberate attempt to hurt the opposition player. It was a disgrace and should receive more than a 3 game ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Boggles, saying that Webb got it right (or posting an article that articulates your feelings on the matter) shows just how shambolic some of your points are.

So by posting an article that backs up the point he is trying to make his point is shambolic?
    Jayzus better get on to all the lawyers in the world, using an article by someone else to help prove your point is shambolic.
    We're gonna have to completely overhaul every justice system.
    Well done

Your just being pedantic, Terry's foul on Jo was without a shadow of a doubt a professional foul without the slightest attempt to play the ball. It wasn't even a shirt pull, it was a rugby tackle.
    Maybe Vidic deserved a straight red, yes, but at least his foul was with his leg and it looked like he was going for the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Overturned...breaking news from sky sports...hes available vs utd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Overturned...breaking news from sky sports...hes available vs utd!!

Here we go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Theres a good reason right there to be England captain. ;)

Chelsea captain John Terry has been cleared to play against Manchester United on Sunday after his appeal against a red card proved successful.
    Terry was sent off for a foul on Manchester City striker Jo, but a Football Association hearing upheld Chelsea's claim of wrongful dismissal.
    The England skipper had been set to miss three games after being dismissed for serious foul play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Delighted! Hopefully Chelsea stick 4 or 5 past them with big JT baggin a couple :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Delighted! Hopefully Chelsea stick 4 or 5 past them with big JT baggin a couple :D

:mad: damn those abu's

haters all of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

well they got enough practice last weekend:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yay for fantasy team crisis aversion. Now i'm just without f*ing Vidic.

good to see common sense prevailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Aye, I think I might do a wee bet on Terry scoring :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hobart wrote: »
    Aye, I think I might do a wee bet on Terry scoring :D:D:D:D

....or getting sent off again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Bit of a SLIP UP if you ask me from the FA there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Trilla wrote: »
    :mad: damn those abu's

haters all of you!

He's a bloody City fan - he's entitled!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Does that mean Terry doesn't even get a yellow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's an absolute farcicle decision from the FA. Looks like John Terry is benefiting from the same kind of favourable English treatmeant that Alan Shearer got. Red cards can't be downgraded to yellow so the FA are saying that a rugby tackle isn't even worthy of a booking.

Terrys tackle would be laughed at in a Rugby match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Good news ...
    at last a bit of a break for Chelsea ...

I'm feeling confident about this Sundays game...

Frisbee wrote: »
    So by posting an article that backs up the point he is trying to make his point is shambolic?
    Jayzus better get on to all the lawyers in the world, using an article by someone else to help prove your point is shambolic.
    We're gonna have to completely overhaul every justice system.
    Well done

wat are you talking about?:confused:

if he posts an article saying that this article sums up wat he is trying to say, and the article is some stupid post, most likely taken from a utd fan site, of course i'm allowed say his point is stupid. the FA obviously agree with me.

Emmm, I don't know what your definiton of common sense is but appears if you are England captain you can blatantly rugby tackle an opponent, on your way off taunt the crowd, and be immune to any sort of punishment, not even a booking. Ref will probably have to pay him compensation, it is farcical, if it happened to Dunne the appeal wouldn't even have been entertained.

you cant say that for sure Boggles.

his gesture to the crowd is totally irrelevant is just you clutching at straws.

Point remains, it wasnt a red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Don't think that matters in the case of the appeal. I thought for the appeal it couldn't be rescinded down to yellow so it had to be deemed a non yellow card offence for terry to get away with it. I might be wrong.

not a yellow card offence :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It was a red card so it shouldnt have been rescinded.If it was any other player it wouldnt be looked at.

you cant say that for sure Boggles.
    I know I can't it's my opinion, I know you think people are only entitled to yours, it must be a constant struggle for you.

his gesture to the crowd is totally irrelevant is just you clutching at straws.

His gesture to the crowd had nothing to do with him getting sent off it does sum up his charactor thou, but sure what does he care when he has the FA giving get out of jail free cards.

My opinion is, it was a red card for a professional cynical foul - it should have stood, it didn't simply because he is England captain, the FA completely undermined the Ref and went down today big time in estimation

So the FA decision in affect states Carvaliho would have got the ball and played on! FARCICAL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly, I can't see any other player apart from a major England international getting this kind of favourable treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If Terry's red card was maintained as serious foul play, then there'd be sending off's in every match. Last night being a perfect example, Michael Dawson would have to be sent off for his challenge on Ashley Young!

• Advertisement
Advertisement