Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A New Low For Cobh Ramblers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

We have debts to other creditors but we have nett "cash" as such as the amount left to draw down from the sail of the lease dwarfes the amounts owed elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I've read through this thread and admittedly I wouldn't give a sh*t about the eircom league, but by the looks of it, the average eircom league fan needs to be an accountant these days. Where I'm situated at the minute, I'm between two clubs (Sligo and Galway) and perhaps the fact I'm not closer to either has turned me off this league but to be fair, it's going downhill at a drastic rate.

Fair enough, you could say that some sides are getting bigger like Drogheda, Bohs etc doing well in the CL. But the whole Shels thing has made everyone sceptical about how far a club can go without breaching the rules and going into something near liquidity.

Something big needs to be done with the league, revamped big time with different ideas. There are staff not good enough in the positions they are in and at the minute there's too many plasterers trying to do a chefs work.

Full-time professional football is a long way away in terms of being entirely professional and I think it's time that clubs went right back to the start with things. Paying a player €3,000 a week (highest in the league I think) is scandalous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

But the whole Shels thing has made everyone sceptical about how far a club can go without breaching the rules and going into something near liquidity.
    What happened to Shels (and Rovers) is precisely why so many clubs are (supposedly) struggling financially at the moment - the FAI are imposing tight financial controls to ensure such situations do not arise again. However, I'm of the opinion that the media is exaggerating much of it, particularly with regard to Cork. It seems negative stories about the EL sell far more newspapers than positive.
    Something big needs to be done with the league, revamped big time with different ideas.
    No ****; now why has nobody else thought of that? :rolleyes:
    There are staff not good enough in the positions they are in and at the minute there's too many plasterers trying to do a chefs work.
    Forgive me, but that sounds like the basic "the EL is **** and so is everyone associated with it."
    Paying a player €3,000 a week (highest in the league I think) is scandalous.
    It still pales in comparison to what players can earn in Britain:
    Football, of course, is a particularly virulent example of a free market, and players cannot be blamed for looking to maximise their income over short careers.

What's more, wages here are still so comparatively low that interest in a player from a major British club makes it utterly impossible to keep him.

At present, a good top-flight player - that's someone not quite seen as part of the elite but nevertheless a cut above the average - might expect to earn about €80,000 gross (though tax compliance has dramatically improved because of a variety of factors over the last few years, most deals are actually still talked about within the game in terms of net pay).

That's roughly what Paddy McCourt is said to have been on at Derry City when he left for Celtic during the summer.

His contract was in its last year and City were keen that he sign what would presumably have been a much improved one, but the Scots are believed to have offered him around 10 times as much.

Even if he doesn't make the breakthrough at the Glasgow giants that's an impossible opportunity to turn down, and it demonstrates how difficult it will be for Irish clubs to retain their best players as standards improves here.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0805/1217628552618.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Are you naive enough to think that financial problems are unique to the LoI? :confused:

Man City in the wealthiest league in the world are in trouble. Fiorentina nearly went bust in the second.

All you are seeing is the transparancy as the FAI get tough.
    No I am completely aware of financial issues in other leagues, I just feel it is proportionally much higher in Ireland. And just because other clubs in other countries have trouble with money does not make it acceptable here

Out of 24 league clubs, in the last two years two have went bankrupt and out of business completely, two more have been relegated due to money problems, and probably 10 more have serious problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Keano should bail them out.

BTW Cobh are known as "COBB RAMBLERS" to the Setanta Newsgirls. Remember that big ad Setanta had of people not being able to pronounce their name?? Stones and Greenhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Out of 24 league clubs

Not true.
    in the last two years two have went bankrupt and out of business completely,

Not true.
    two more have been relegated due to money problems

Not true.
    and probably 10 more have serious problems

Hmm...maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Hmm...maybe.
    No, definitely

Cobh, Cork City, Derry City, Finn Harps, Galway United, Sligo Rovers, Athlone Town, Kildare, Waterford makes 9 clubs who have had financial problems this season. Shels still f**ked due to their debts so thats makes 10

now they're the clubs with evident current financial problems.

ive heard whispers about possible difficulties for Bray and Longford while Limerick were in trouble before the season started but they are now operating within their means on a small budget. Monaghan look dodgy also, struggling to get 100 fans in through the gates to pay a 2k a week wage bill :confused:

on top of this Bohs, Pats, Drogs, Fingal all operating on unsustainable platforms taking the mick out of the 65% turnover 'rule' while all dependent on cheques from property developers, those property developer lads are such extremely reliable and ethical chaps when it comes to football aren't they......... :rolleyes:

so that really leaves only UCD, Wexford Youths and Shamrock Rovers as the only clubs operating sustainably within their means with no obvious short to long term difficulties, out of 22 league clubs that is quite frankly shocking.

the FAI made a great start to their tenure in charge of this league by rightly punishing Shels but the mess that has proceeded under their watch since then is dispicable. football in this country desperately needs leadership now to avoid a complete meltdown in the league of ireland and the FAI are spectacularly failing to provide that (again!). i'm also absolutely stunned at the gross incompetence shown by so many clubs after Shels' spectacular meltdown, honestly could there not have ever been a better example about how NOT to run your club?

i really am ashamed about whats happening to the domestic game right now, i'm really fearful about whats ahead for the LOI. i'm not going to mention names, but there's 2 clubs in particular who i will be stunned to see playing LOI football in 2009 :(

Cobh, Cork City, Derry City, Finn Harps, Galway United, Sligo Rovers, Athlone Town, Kildare, Waterford makes 10 clubs who have had financial problems this season. Shels still f**ked due to their debts so thats makes 11
    You fail at maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

No I am completely aware of financial issues in other leagues, I just feel it is proportionally much higher in Ireland. And just because other clubs in other countries have trouble with money does not make it acceptable here

Out of 24 league clubs, in the last two years two have went bankrupt and out of business completely, two more have been relegated due to money problems, and probably 10 more have serious problems

Totally inaccurate, seriously do your research on the league before you have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

DSB wrote: »
    Totally inaccurate, seriously do your research on the league before you have a go.
    OK so maybe I have not used the correct language, but

Kilkenny and Dublin City have disappeared completely, is this not due to money?

Shels have been relegated, I was wrong about Rovers

Do all the posters arguing here genuinely feel the league is going places when clubs are paying players up to €3,000 a week with the gate receipts at the level they are at?

• Advertisement

No I am completely aware of financial issues in other leagues, I just feel it is proportionally much higher in Ireland.
    What do you mean “proportionally much higher”? You mean Irish clubs are in more severe financial difficulties than clubs in other countries? I don’t know about that. Or do you mean that a greater percentage of clubs in Ireland are in financial difficulties than in other countries? Again, I doubt that’s the case. Take England for example; according to a BBC report, less than half of all Premier League clubs posted a profit in 2005/06. Outside the Premier League, reports of clubs in financial turmoil are not at all uncommon, e.g. Leeds, Luton, Cardiff, Southampton. The difference is there is more transparency in Ireland due to the FAI’s new rules.
    Cobh, Cork City, Derry City, Finn Harps, Galway United, Sligo Rovers, Athlone Town, Kildare, Waterford makes 9 clubs who have had financial problems this season.
    I think it’s fair to say that pretty much every club in the league has financial “problems”, largely due to lower-than-desired attendances. That doesn’t necessarily mean that every club is having serious financial difficulties.
    the FAI made a great start to their tenure in charge of this league by rightly punishing Shels but the mess that has proceeded under their watch since then is dispicable.
    i'm also absolutely stunned at the gross incompetence shown by so many clubs after Shels' spectacular meltdown, honestly could there not have ever been a better example about how NOT to run your club?
    I think it’s pushing it a bit to suggest that there are clubs in the same sort of situation that Shels found themselves in – I think people are getting a little carried away on the back of the Cork story (which basically amounts to Arkaga trying to pull out of a legally-binding contract, from what I’ve read).
    Do all the posters arguing here genuinely feel the league is going places when clubs are paying players up to €3,000 a week with the gate receipts at the level they are at?
    Why are gate receipts at the level they’re at? Because the league is perceived by the majority of people in this country to be of a poor standard. If wages drop, then it will be even more difficult for Irish clubs to compete with British clubs for players and hence, the standard here will most likely drop, making it even more difficult to increase attendances.

Personally, I don’t have a clue how to convince people to go to games. No matter what Irish clubs achieve in Europe, people such as yourself will continue to dismiss them as no better than “pub teams” – how many pub teams do you know could hold a team containing at least 6 Swedish internationals (Elfsborg) to a 2-2 draw away from home and in doing so, triple the number of goals said team have conceded at home this season in all competitions (one before last night)? Face it; the argument that people don’t attend EL games because the standard is poor just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

I already mentioned the Ireland-Cyprus game at Croke Park last year, which had an attendance of about 55,000 (I think), for what was an absolutely shocking performance. If that number of people showed up to watch EL games every weekend (i.e. average of 5,000 at every game), we’d be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

We ran at a profit last season , and are on course to have our best season ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

OK so maybe I have not used the correct language, but

Kilkenny and Dublin City have disappeared completely, is this not due to money?

Shels have been relegated, I was wrong about Rovers

Fundamentally wrong.

Do people choose to ignore the amount of English or Scottish clubs that have gone into administration or completely folded ala Scarborough recently? Or would that not suit the argument that the League Of Ireland is rubbish and nobody in their right minds would want anything to do with it. Leeds, Luton, Wimbledon, Barnsley, Swindon, Bradford, Rotherham, Bournemouth, Halifax, Peterborough, Wrexham, Cambridge, Kidderminster, Boston United have all been involved in serious financial problems recently, most of which have involved going into administration. I'm pretty sure there are more too. Those were just ones that I remembered. Do these problems not count because they aren't the Man Uniteds and Chelseas of the world who the Irish barstoolers tune into most Sundays?

People in this country really need to get a grip. If an Irish club like Shelbourne gos to bits, its because the League Of Ireland is a shambles, but if Leeds do, its no stain on the league apparently, its just their problem. If Kildare County or Kilkenny struggle to compete at the bottom of the hierarchy, that is due to the League Of Ireland being a shambles, but if Rotherham or Wrexham do, oh its just those clubs problems and what a pity it is. Cork City are symptomatic of a club that have financial difficulties because they've overspent. They'll have to drop the wage bill and stop going outside their means. It'll mean they aren't successful in the league for a few years, which is the way it has to be, but it looks like the sort of situation which will sort itself out.

People can talk about how Pats will be finished if Kelleher pulls the plug but surely that same fact rings true if Abramovich decides he has had enough at Chelsea?

Just like the hooligan issue, it is far too easy for the Irish TV Fan Brigade to pick away at the problems here at home, and ignore the problems they don't have to see through their Sky TV screen.

Does no one else think its funny that a cork city supporter started a thread to criticise Cobhs financial resources. Currently CCFC are thinking of applying for examinership from the high court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just trying to deflect attention from ourselves :rolleyes:

Not to mention, our so called difficulties, as far as I see them are being exaggerated by a mostly Dublin media only too happy to belittle the LOI whenever it can.

Besides, the thrust of my starting this thread was not to criticise Cobh per se, but to raise attention to the fact that their board reckons the best way for their problems to be solved is by the players to take bank loans.

Ah here, at least Cork are dealing with the situation properly, instead of asking their players to take 2000 loans out each. Cork's situation is far from ideal, but at least they retain some sort of dignity in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Sarge wrote: »
    Does no one else think its funny that a cork city supporter started a thread to criticise Cobhs financial resources. Currently CCFC are thinking of applying for examinership from the high court.

I said just that. I was told I was 'bitter'. :D

I said just that. I was told I was 'bitter'. :D

You my friend are the Dublin version of Gimmick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote: »
    Not to mention, our so called difficulties, as far as I see them are being exaggerated by a mostly Dublin media

Did you ever think of standing for Dáil Éireann with such a novel way of thinking? I'm sure the Cork intelligensia would lap up that sort of amazing insight. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

I have a €20 betting slip with Rovers to win the cup at 12 to one. Its not worth €260, although it probably will be. I can't include that in my net worth.

Fixed your post for you :D.

Won a few quid on the Langers last night, they're a good side despite any rumoured off the field trouble and I was confident they'd get a result.
    Where I'm situated at the minute, I'm between two clubs (Sligo and Galway) and perhaps the fact I'm not closer to either has turned me off this league but to be fair, it's going downhill at a drastic rate.
    Downhill in what way? In terms of quality of football, media coverage or what exactly?
    i'm also absolutely stunned at the gross incompetence shown by so many clubs after Shels' spectacular meltdown, honestly could there not have ever been a better example about how NOT to run your club?
    It's pretty simple really. Clubs are desperately spending big money on players they cannot afford to try and attract punters through the gates with the promise of better football on show. They're fighting a losing battle, because the barstoolers will just either continue to say "It's a sh*te league, crap standard" etc., or will come out with the gem that's being thrown out in this thread of "the clubs aren't financially viable". They'll find an excuse for not going regardless of what's done to encourage them along. The clubs are throwing crazy money at players to try to improve the standard of football in an attempt to get people to come and watch, but they're fighting a losing battle.
    i'm not going to mention names, but there's 2 clubs in particular who i will be stunned to see playing LOI football in 2009 :(
    Go on, tell us... I presume you have good reason to believe this?

Basically all of that is incorrect.
    Not to mention, our so called difficulties, as far as I see them are being exaggerated by a mostly Dublin media
    Being ridden rock solid by Dublin again, like? ;)

Agree with you though, appears that the situation is being blown out of proportion, and the the media love a negative story on the eLOI. Especially that ***** Hyland and the Hearld newspaper that he writes for :rolleyes:.

Thought this was somewhat relevant to the discussion; Johnny Mac after the Elfsborg game:
    They have 100,000 people in the city here, they get average gates of 10,000-12,000, for the big games they get 17,000. They get 12 per cent of the city’s population at their home games; we can’t get 12 per cent of people from Ballyfermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

All sorts of talk that ramblers are on the verge of striking at the moment. The smart money says they don't. What is certain is that there is a massive stand off between the players and the board at present.

The chairman told the players that they would not be paid again this season. Obviously the players took exception to this. On asking where the gate reciepts from this Saturdays derby will go, they were told "we owes lots of companies. Guiness and Diageo are two". On hearing this a player informed the chairman that they are the same company, the chairman accused the players of greed and should not have accepted the contracts they were offered!!!! At this stage the manager told his players to up and leave, and ripped in to the chairman for wasting everyones time and insulting their intelligence.

You could not make this kind of crap up.

All sorts of talk that ramblers are on the verge of striking at the moment. The smart money says they don't. What is certain is that there is a massive stand off between the players and the board at present.

The chairman told the players that they would not be paid again this season. Obviously the players took exception to this. On asking where the gate reciepts from this Saturdays derby will go, they were told "we owes lots of companies. Guiness and Diageo are two". On hearing this a player informed the chairman that they are the same company, the chairman accused the players of greed and should not have accepted the contracts they were offered!!!! At this stage the manager told his players to up and leave, and ripped in to the chairman for wasting everyones time and insulting their intelligence.

Jesus thats ridiculous. No wonder there were so many people at Cobh in favour of amateur football with an idiotic chairman like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That is unbelieveable. Shouldn't have accepted the contracts they were offered?? What bullsh!t

DSB wrote: »
    No wonder there were so many people at Cobh in favour of amateur football with an idiotic chairman like that.
    I'm starting to think this was skewed somewhat by the media. It seems more likely that what was actually said was "Barry Walsh is a ****wit who belongs in amateur football."

EDIT: In hindsight, that seems like a bit of an insult to anyone involved in amateur football in this country.

I don't even know if it is an insult to people involved with amateur football, because thats clearly where his mindset is. Assuming that he can go into professional football without expecting that professionals expect a wage is just laughable, and lying to employees about why they're not being paid is just pathetic. Stuff like this just makes it much harder to defend the progression of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The chairman told the players that they would not be paid again this season. Obviously the players took exception to this. On asking where the gate reciepts from this Saturdays derby will go, they were told "we owes lots of companies.

Sounds like the board could be trying to claw back as much hard cash as possible for themselves before the sh*t hits the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

It would seem to me that there might be a total of a dozen posts on this thread which actually fall into 'actual contribution' range.

I'm only on this forum (soccer) a short while, but I was led to believe that the reason for the restricted access was to encourage a more expansive debate on certain topics pertaining to footballery.

What I've seen so far falls far short of that.

OT: The fact remains that Irish soccer has to contend with the more flashy product available across the water. When Liverpool, Manchester United, and Sunderland, all make their way over here for friendly/testimonials, we see tickets selling out at an incredible rate, and the ground selling out.

Needing to compete with that, the teams in the eircom League have increased, and increased, the wages received by their players until such time as they can now prevent a skill-drain to League One, and in some lucky cases, to the Championship.

However, for all the talk of what a shame it'd be if Cork and Cobh folded, there hasn't been a pro rata increase in gate receipts.

I've tried to get to as many Cork City games as I could this season, work and college permitting, and I had an absolutely fantastic time at each outing. I shall, again with events permitting, go to the Cobh v Cork game down in St Colman's on the 20th.

Apart from all of that I feel that people are missing the underlying problem here - even allowing for an incompetent owner (Arkaga) Cork City should be in a superior position to that of its other Irish rivals, simply due to being the sole team in Ireland's second city, and due to the larger crowds we see on average, and yet...

...yet Cork have been docked 10 points and been forced to sell our two main strikers. A club should have some level of self-sustinence about them, but this is not the case as it stands.

If Cork and Cobh can't survive then there's faint hope for any of the other teams in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

lee_arama wrote: »
    If Cork and Cobh can't survive then there's faint hope for any of the other teams in Ireland.

Every business in this country is struggling, 6/10 are laying people off and the other 4/10 are struggling too. So football is no different.

The problem with Ireland is the amount of Irish eejits following British teams like Celtic, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. It is sad.

For the record many British sides are also struggling big time.

Advertisement