Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A New Low For Cobh Ramblers

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There is nothing wrong with Irish people supporting English clubs. It is their own choice. I do not agree with it myself, but there you go. The problem is the eejits who belittle the domestic league without any basis for doing so besides seeing one bad game on the tv once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

lee_arama wrote: »
    Cork City should be in a superior position to that of its other Irish rivals, simply due to being the sole team in Ireland's second city, and due to the larger crowds we see on average, and yet...

...yet Cork have been docked 10 points and been forced to sell our two main strikers. A club should have some level of self-sustinence about them, but this is not the case as it stands.

If Cork and Cobh can't survive then there's faint hope for any of the other teams in Ireland.

Cork have comparatively big gates for the LOI. And pathetic gates in comparison to cities in other countries.

They are not the type of gates that can bankroll stupid wages and inflated expectations of European success: the real source of the current mess.

The sooner a few of the clubs in this league accept that we have to build up our crowds (as opposed to relying on weasel speculators) until professional setups are financially viable, the better. If that means some clubs have to take the medicine of relegation and insolvency, so be it.

The win-the-league-at-all-costs-and-fuck-your-rival pipe dreams need to end if our league is going to survive.
    gimmick wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with Irish people supporting English clubs. It is their own choice. I do not agree with it myself, but there you go. The problem is the eejits who belittle the domestic league without any basis for doing so besides seeing one bad game on the tv once.

+1

We need to convince people that they can support an English team, but can still be proud of their local club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

For me supporting a team should be something that you do along with your work collegues and friends. In Ireland it seems to be a sad "slagging ritual" where co-workers try to score points on each other by choosing the "right" British club to "support".

Supporting a club should be about uniting with your friends and family and to have pride in supporting your team together through bad or really bad times.

The only people I see supporting British teams outside Britain is stupid Asians (especially during the Beckham era :rolleyes:) and stupid Irish people.

Im pretty sure that Danish and Dutch people don't support British clubs and they are probably closer to the Brits than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    Cork have comparatively big gates for the LOI. And pathetic gates in comparison to cities in other countries.

They are not the type of gates that can bankroll stupid wages and inflated expectations of European success: the real source of the current mess.

The sooner a few of the clubs in this league accept that we have to build up our crowds (as opposed to relying on weasel speculators) until professional setups are financially viable, the better. If that means some clubs have to take the medicine of relegation and insolvency, so be it.

The win-the-league-at-all-costs-and-fuck-your-rival pipe dreams need to end if our league is going to survive.

+1

We need to convince people that they can support an English team, but can still be proud of their local club.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Been hearing that the players have offered to play for free for the rest of the season now, providing they get paid all the back money at the end of the season since the club refuse to pay them. Shocking at first but with the way other clubs are going in the league it's not entirely a surprise. I certainly hope the players do get their money in the end!

Also last week, John Meade resigned his position as trustee and head of the finance commitee. Apparently he wanted to have a meeting, something about letting club members know about their current financial situation, and of course the chairman didn't allow him to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement