Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 lights not working

Options
  • 19-02-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/9712/icCNDo.jpg

Hi Everyone

Looking for some help to figure what is going on with my lighting.

Please see diagram.. I have no light working at ceiling rose B or C
    B has power coming from ceiling rose A but no power at the bulb.
    There appears to be no power at any of the light switches to rose B or C

I know the obvious answer is to get an electrician in but I am interested in what the problem might be. I have taken off switches, ceiling rose etc. to examine for any obvious loose wires and to check for power but nothing seems to be loose.

Many thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Did you replace any of the switches or ceiling roses?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Bruthal wrote: »
    Did you replace any of the switches or ceiling roses?
    Hi Bruthal... no I haven't replaced any of the switches or ceiling roses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

What are you using to check power
    Are any of these landing lights
    Double checktripswitches
    Pull them down firmly and push up firmly

Checked the trip switches... no joy im afraid! A and B are in the front hallway and C is an external light above the front door. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Too be honest and this isn't just saying it for the sake of it but you'll more then likely need an expert here. They'll start at the fuse box and through q combination of continuity tests and expierence they'll get the lights working. If you go messing with them with out the nessacary training you may cause more lights down the line too stop working. IMO there's no easy fix here I'm afraid and 100% not a DIY job

• Advertisement

100% is a big number. whistling.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

On your diagram, how do you know there is no power at the switches, how are you checking? Just because a light isn't working doesn't mean there's no power at it or the switch for it.

If the neutral does indeed go from a - b - c then it may be broken between a and b. How do you know how it is wired or are you guessing?

Either way, get someone who knows what they're doing. Fault finding can be a pain in the arse for someone who's qualified never mind someone that isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It will likely be simple enough for someone who knows what they are at to fix that.

Thanks for the advice everyone I just wanted to see if it was something obvious like a broken switch/rose etc. That I could have repaired.. I'm checking the power with a voltage detector.. though I do have a multimetre also... ill post when a solution appears! Cheers

Advertisement