Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd HDD Error when booting

Options
  • 07-12-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Just took my WD external hard drive out of the case and started using it as an internal HD cos the power wasnt working well on the case. Anyways when i put the HD into the computer and connect it up all is fine till it boots and i get an error

"boot from CD/DVD
    Disk Boot Failure Insert System DIsk and Press enter"

Anyways i put the Vista disk in and it loads up... But then it stalls at the load up screen
    f i unplug the HD and run off my normal HD all is fine.

I think the problem is that the Computer is trying to boot off the new HD and subsoquently its not finding a OS so its asking me to insert the Vista disk.

Does anyone know exactly what the problem is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

jumper setting on the new hdd perhaps?

you want it as a slave drive and not a master.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

kaimera wrote: »
    jumper setting on the new hdd perhaps?

you want it as a slave drive and not a master.

Excuse my ignorance but i dunno what you mean by a jumper setting?

Ya i want it as a slave as its just for Music storage! Can you guide me through what to do?Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

http://bp1.blogger.com/_SO5QCOZtQzE/SH7LGPahamI/AAAAAAAAAPs/qNJjeZ_l5Hg/s320/hdd_jumper_ma.jpg -{if the img doesnt show, google hard drive jumper settings or the like and you'll find an img, web is crap here :/}

you should see soemthing like this at the back of your hdd where you plug in the power cable.

The settings are written on the hdd over each set of pins so you can see what the hdd is set to; you want to set the new hdd to slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

All is cool, got it sorted, just played around with the settings in the bios, it ended up being what i thought it was, the new WD HDD was the primary one so i just changed it to being my slave;)

Advertisement