Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blank Desktop after log on (XP)

• 06-12-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a problem after logging on (to all profiles) my desktop wallpaper and mouse cursor appear but no icons or taskbar. Can get task manager up sometimes and can't at other times..

Can anyone offer any advise?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you ctrl + alt + del can you see if explorer is running in the process list. Besides that have you installed anything or made changes to XP recently? are there alot of startup apps?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yeah, chances are there are a load of things loading at startup and slowing everything down.
    Switch it on and press the windows key + R

Type msconfig
    Go to the startup tab .. this lists all the programs starting when you switch on the computer..
    You don't need most of these things and if you look through the names it's usually easy enough to figure out what they are..
    Untick everything like program updaters, office quicklaunchers, etc
    Basically the only things i usually leave ticked is Anti-Virus and Windows Defender, and if your on a laptop you'l want to leave the software for the touchpad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sound advice from Redisle. You could also run ccleaner, it cleans up all XP's and program temp files and improves performance and load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

If you do get the Windows Task Manager up, try hitting the File button and then the New Task one after it.

This will give you a run prompt (hopefully). Try hitting in explorer.exe for the desktop to load. It might not load though.

If it doesn't load, try entering msconfig in the run box instead. This will launch a utility that shows you most of the services / programs that load during startup.

If you're unsure about some software that's loading, google it and see if it's legit. If it's not, simply untick it to stop it from loading. (might re-enable itself though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

thanks very much for your help guys... unfortunately none of this worked.. anyything else i could try?!

How can i restore to a previous point maybe?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

thanks very much for your help guys... unfortunately none of this worked.. anyything else i could try?!

How can i restore to a previous point maybe?!

boot into safe mode, press F8 at startup and select safe mode and clean up MSConfig and if that doesn't work do a system restore in safe mode

Advertisement