Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PSNIs Historical Enquiries Team

Options
  • 19-07-2012 6:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me the rational behind the RUC renaming itself the PSNI? Is this a direct acknowledgment that they were themselves a beligerent in the Ulster conflict and is it a direct acknowledgement of their failure to adminster law and order fairly amisdst the troubles? I think the answer to this has a lot of bearing on how the PSNI's 'Historical Enquiries Team' conducts itself. One must bear in mind that the PSNI is essentially the RUC with a new name which raises some concerns whether this now excuses them of any crimes committed by them or their members during the troubles? Now this statment I know will bear a lot of criticism from the 'Lets Forget the Past Brigade' but one must bear in mind that two years prior to the RUC adopting the new name of PSNI, the death of Rosemary Nelson occurred, with which emerged allegations of collusion between its members and Loyalist paramilitaries. Now some may think that I'm having a go at the PSNI which equates to me being an Eirigi supporter or a supporter of the 32csm but this is not the case. What I would like to know is how the PSNI will attempt to adminster justice during a time when law and order had essentially broken down, a time where their very predeccessors were themselves a beligerent in a conflict where they now seek to adminster justice? Imo, it appears to be a very complex situation which essentially stinks of hypocrisy. It seems as though the PSNI have escaped criticism and washed their hands of any evil deeds committed by its members during the troubles because of a simple name change, but this same luxury is not afforded to any other participants of the conflict. Some might say that it is perhaps best to let sleeping dogs lie but this only ever seems applicable when the new regime comes under any scrutiny. In effect, the answer to this depends on whether this thread remains open from the offset, as it will be a good indicator of whether we've reached a level of maturity where we can honestly acknowledge the failures of both sides in the past and not just one, which seems far too commonplace nowadays!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

paky wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me the rational behind the RUC renaming itself the PSNI?

The RUC name was damaged due to inbuilt sectarianism. After the Patten report changes were made both to the name and structure of the northern police.

An important part of this was trying to break the religious divisions that had been in the RUC. Considering the inbalanced starting point this looks to have been very successful with levels of over 25% Catholic achieved already and rising all the time. This was from a point noted at 7% in 1993.

Source 1 http://www.psni.police.uk/religious_breakdown_of_psni.pdf
    Source 2 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/catholics-make-up-7-of-ruc-1481268.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

paky wrote: »
    In effect, the answer to this depends on whether this thread remains open from the offset, as it will be a good indicator of whether we've reached a level of maturity where we can honestly acknowledge the failures of both sides in the past and not just one, which seems far too commonplace nowadays!

That's a nice slant on poisoning the well. 'if you close this thread you're immature'. If the thread gets no traction or is closed its because it's based on the silly premise that the PSNI = RUC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i didnt realise they were different in anything but name. Lots of the same people, lots of the same upper management.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I suggest a blog OP

Cheers

DrG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement