Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for First Date this Evening

Options
  • 31-07-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hey people,

I have a date with this girl later this evening and I simply don't want to mess thing up so any advice would be great. She's blond and absolutely stunning! Seems out of my league even. I didn't even believe she was real until we video chat on skype the other so she's no catfish lol

I haven't been on many dates as most of the times especially in college I'd just go out...get wasted on double vodka and redbull and try to get lucky. We're just going to the pub for a few drinks so its pretty much informal. I wont be drinking alcohol though as i'm driving but its all good.

Like what should I do when I meet her? Kiss her on the cheek or something or a hug? And afterwards what do I do or does that pretty much depend on how we get on during the date? She's unreal good looking.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I would say getting 'wasted' for any first date is always a bad idea. Just relax and enjoy yourself, its difficult to say here what you should do, its all very dependent on the situation! It seems that you guys have already spoken and got along on skype, and I'm sure the same will happen in real life. Have fun, be a gentleman, and I hope all goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Are you in Dublin?
    I think there's sand scultures in Dublin Castle this week in the courtyard.
    http://www.dublincastle.ie/NewsEvents/Title,22941,en.htm
    It's different and would be a good point to chat about.
    Perhaps meet outside dublin Castle first, then ehad to a nice quiet pub for a chat.
    Never pick a pub that's too noisy! You'll want to hear each other!
    As above, be a gent and enjoy.
    And dont focus too much on her looks!! yeah, that's cool and all... but if you don't get on well, looks dont mean squat!

Go for a peck on the cheek as you meet by the way.
    As for afters? You'll know yourselves if things went well... you may want to move onto somewhere else? You may want to grab a bite to eat? Sure see where it takes ya!

enjoy yourselves! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

beya2009 wrote: »
    Seems out of my league even.

It's great that you think she's stunning, no point in seeing someone you don't think that of, but don't start out by thinking she's out of your league. Apart from being a spurious concept, it's a breeding ground for insecurities and diminshing confidence which will kill her interest off. Act like you belong there, not like you're punching above your weight. She wants to go on the date too remember, so it's mutual interest and you're both at the same starting point. Good luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Erm, no-one here can really advise you on how to "charm" this girl as none of us know her.

All you can do is be yourself. If you get to the pub (venue, whatever) first, text her and ask her what she's drinking, and have it ready for her. Sit somewhere close enough to the door so she doesn't have to wander around the entire building looking for you. Kiss her on the cheek when she arrives - handshakes are for meetings, hugs can be a bit too much body contact for a complete stranger. After that - it's up to the two of you. Just have a good natter and see how it goes. And, if you want to see her again, text her that evening or the following day to say so. Nothing worse than this "You absolutely MUST wait three days to make contact again" bolloxology.

Best of luck with it, and remember, it's just a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Are you in Dublin?
    I think there's sand scultures in Dublin Castle this week in the courtyard.
    http://www.dublincastle.ie/NewsEvents/Title,22941,en.htm
    It's different and would be a good point to chat about.
    Perhaps meet outside dublin Castle first, then ehad to a nice quiet pub for a chat.
    Never pick a pub that's too noisy! You'll want to hear each other!
    As above, be a gent and enjoy.
    And dont focus too much on her looks!! yeah, that's cool and all... but if you don't get on well, looks dont mean squat!

Go for a peck on the cheek as you meet by the way.
    As for afters? You'll know yourselves if things went well... you may want to move onto somewhere else? You may want to grab a bite to eat? Sure see where it takes ya!

enjoy yourselves! :)

Unfortunately im not in Dublin area. Im in Wexford. Okay thanks for all the advice everyone. I will try and take it all on board. Yeah being myself I think will be very important. I know this probably sounded corny to her but I did ask her how on earth she's single and she told me she recently broke up with some fella after 3 years:O Also thanks for the advice about not leaving it too long to text her after the date. Hopefully I can make her laugh...I'd like to think im a funny guy lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

she told me she recently broke up with some fella after 3 years

Well in that case I'll just add that she may be just dipping her toe back into the waters and have absolutely no interest in getting back into anything even resembling a relationship yet, which is absolutely her prerogative, but something it may be no harm to keep in the back of your mind as you do seem to be a leetle bit invested in this girl already.

Oh, and lay off on the "How are you even single?" schtick. I know you mean it as a compliment but believe me, it gets really tired, really quickly. I get it all the time on OD and there's only so much of it you can hear before it starts to sound like the part they're not adding is "There must be something wrong with you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Well the main thing to remember is that you have nothing to lose, so try not to be mad nervous or anything. Don't shake her hand as a greeting. Have a shower, smell good but don't use too much cologne. When you're talking, make sure it's not like an interview where you're asking a question, she's answering, and your asking again. Tease her a bit, and just be as comfortable as you can. Bring mints. Know where you can go for a walk nearby if the weather is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

She is human and you are too start from there. She will be nervous to put her at ease and if she is at ease you will be too. Relax and try to understand this is a first meeting.

Just be nice be yourself but try and 'sell' the best of yourself ie. don't tell her about the 'getting smashed on vodka ' bit for while ok?

By the way THERE ARE NO LEAGUES. We are all equal. She is going out with you so she must like you, even a little bit.

By remembering she is just like you, you remember she can be nervous too, so DON'T play games. And don't stand for it if she tries to either. Be natural because you will regret it if you don't.

Feel good about who you are , WHATEVER happens feel good about who you are.

This is all about seeing if you two click. So try to help her be at her best and hopefully she will help you. Talk about topics you are interested in, if she is not familiar with them fill her in a little ask her what she is into etc etc. Go with what seems natural.

A walk was mentioned GREAT idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

As a self confessed ugly bastard who has been told "he punches above his weight" I can add testament to the fact that nobody is too good for anybody. Looks attract, the true character retains. Enjoy your date and good luck :)

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Well in that case I'll just add that she may be just dipping her toe back into the waters and have absolutely no interest in getting back into anything even resembling a relationship yet, which is absolutely her prerogative, but something it may be no harm to keep in the back of your mind as you do seem to be a leetle bit invested in this girl already.

Oh, and lay off on the "How are you even single?" schtick. I know you mean it as a compliment but believe me, it gets really tired, really quickly. I get it all the time on OD and there's only so much of it you can hear before it starts to sound like the part they're not adding is "There must be something wrong with you."

Okay thanks for the advice. The date went really well. She was looking stunning in a tight short flowery summers dress. I felt like the man! lol We were in wexford town for a good 6 hours. We started out in a quiet pub and then went for a walk along the quay and then ended up in her car chatting some more. There was only like 4 awkward silences the whole night.

It was still hard to guage if she was digging me especially at the end when we were saying goodbye inside the car as I almost froze but somehow held my nerve and just went for it! I gave her a good snog and then we said goodbye. I text her later that night just letting her know I enjoyed the night and that we should do it again and she replied that she would love to go another date. I can't believe my luck haha

Thanks for all the advice everyone:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Good man :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    As a self confessed ugly bastard who has been told "he punches above his weight" I can add testament to the fact that nobody is too good for anybody. Looks attract, the true character retains. Enjoy your date and good luck :)

Ha well that's good to know. Sometimes when I see a couple together I wonder how on earth did that fella get such a beaut haha But like you said personality counts for a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ha well that's good to know. Sometimes when I see a couple together I wonder how on earth did that fella get such a beaut haha But like you said personality counts for a lot.

My OH mates say that all the time - why dont I leave him for them etc (in jest of course) - I tell them I stay because hes hung like a donkey! :p:p

Back on point - best of luck OP.

Sorry people don't mean to be bringing this up again as things are going very well. We're going on our second date later this week and I just wanted to know whats the best restaurants in wexford town for a date? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

siblers wrote: »

Cheers:) seems like taste restaurant has gone bust:(

Advertisement