Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to view&restrict "live" traffic?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it possible to view / block network traffic (addresses) on-the-fly, as I think a flatmate is doing a f*ck ton of downloading / streaming (he works from home).

My set up is upc and I'm running linux mint OS. I've had a go with mapping the network using nmap (zenmap), but can't decipher the results!

Are there any commands / applications (I can try windows ones as I can run them via WINE...hopefully). Had a look at NirSofts network tools, but can't see which would suffice.

Ultimately I want to restrict / block any dodgy streaming sites (which I over heard he uses to 'get' movies).

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

For analysis you need the router to send SNMP info to your machine, doubt that's possible with the UPC modem so you'll need to bridge it and add a better router that allows this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Management_Protocol

A better router would allow better per ip bandwidth throttling and allocation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

For analysis you need the router to send SNMP info to your machine, doubt that's possible with the UPC modem so you'll need to bridge it and add a better router that allows this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Management_Protocol

A better router would allow better per ip bandwidth throttling and allocation

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, was thinking bridging (didn't know it was possible on the horizon box). Also running something like tomato firmware or ddwrt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, was thinking bridging (didn't know it was possible on the horizon box). Also running something like tomato firmware or ddwrt.

I'm not a Upc customer, have no idea if your can bridge the Horizon, do a search here

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Why dont u set up a computer to act as router rather then using the upc box? Set up a linux on it (advise Slackware), and then u can use QoS to throttle traffic. Last time I set this up you had to patch and recompile the kernel with netfilter patch, dont know if its still same or did it get merged into kernel now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

szatan84 wrote: »
    Why dont u set up a computer to act as router rather then using the upc box? Set up a linux on it (advise Slackware), and then u can use QoS to throttle traffic. Last time I set this up you had to patch and recompile the kernel with netfilter patch, dont know if its still same or did it get merged into kernel now.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I was only saying what I had to do last time to get it working (over 15 years ago). Traffic throttling was not normally supported under linux you had to add the feature by patching the kernel and then rebuilding it from source. (I assumed you knew how to rebuild your kernel here) Anyway the idea still stands. Just get another pc and make it the gateway not the upc box. If throttling would be a problem to set up you can always block his traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This sounds like a job for pfSense tbh.

https://www.pfsense.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Smoothwall.

Ken

Advertisement