Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Your Bad Self - Male Domestic Violence Sketch Tonight-Not Funny

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Would you have raised the issue if it was a woman talking about domestic violence in the sketch? or is the problem that:

RTE broadcast the show uncensored
    RTE didn't have a contact number at the end of the program (do you think contact numbers for alcoholic groups who need to drink at work, like the DJ, or pregnant women, or the butt of any of the jokes in the program should be provided)
    RTE are involved in some conspiracy fighting against the reportage of the full extent of domestic violence against men

Did RTE even produce the program?

I think supporting or highlighting the cause of domestic violence against men is a noble one, and may be under-reported but I think this is one of the more ridiculous objections to a TV program/TV station that I can remember. I think the reaction on this thread has been far kinder to that you would have got on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Get a life for gods sake.

I think this programme isnt half bad. not the worst ive seen on rte for sure. that actor who plays the radio dj is very good.
    Loved the electronic laugh sketch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Morgans wrote: »
    . I think the reaction on this thread has been far kinder to that you would have got on AH.

Thanks.

I am not knocking the show but knocking the sketch because it is true.:D

And, you would be surprised how up to date posters on AH are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Come on this is funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Oh for ****s sake.

• Advertisement

Would you have raised the issue if it was a woman talking about domestic violence in the sketch? or is the problem that:

RTE broadcast the show uncensored
    RTE didn't have a contact number at the end of the program (do you think contact numbers for alcoholic groups who need to drink at work, like the DJ, or pregnant women, or the butt of any of the jokes in the program should be provided)
    RTE are involved in some conspiracy fighting against the reportage of the full extent of domestic violence against men

Did RTE even produce the program?

I think supporting or highlighting the cause of domestic violence against men is a noble one, and may be under-reported but I think this is one of the more ridiculous objections to a TV program/TV station that I can remember. I think the reaction on this thread has been far kinder to that you would have got on AH.

The difference is that RTE give plenty of coverage to violence against women and (as you like the word censored) censor out violence against men in a gender biased way. For the life of me I dont know why they dont cover both as a single issue as domestic violence being wrong -irrespective of gender. You would not reporton alcoholism or drug addiction in a gender biased way,

My problem with the sketch is that it portrayed a broadcaster ignoring the issue and conducting an interview in an uninforned way and the sketches dialougue/script is very close to what actually happens no matter how gauche the character is -it is an accurate portrayal of the coverage RTE gives and that people complain about.

So my problem with the sketch is that it is so close to the truth it is uncanny. It is the reality,ergo,it is not funny because of that.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but -it is current affairs editorial policy to report the issue in a gender biased and not a gender balanced way -which is exactly what they do.

As regards RTE not having responsibility for a production it does not make any sense and it is unrealistic for anyone to believe that it carries and broadcasts shows unseen.

None of this is unreasonable or simething senior RTE staff would not be aware of and which is why the broadcasting of thesketch is incredibly insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So where's the thread to ban childrens cartoons ? Seriously, violence against animals is not a funny issue, Tom and Jerry has a hell of a lot to answer for, and as for all those poor henchmens families, does anyone ever think about them ? Shame.

CDfm wrote: »
    The difference is that RTE give plenty of coverage to violence against women and (as you like the word censored) censor out violence against men in a gender biased way. For the life of me I dont know why they dont cover both as a single issue as domestic violence being wrong -irrespective of gender. You would not reporton alcoholism or drug addiction in a gender biased way,

My problem with the sketch is that it portrayed a broadcaster ignoring the issue and conducting an interview in an uninforned way and the sketches dialougue/script is very close to what actually happens no matter how gauche the character is -it is an accurate portrayal of the coverage RTE gives and that people complain about.

So my problem with the sketch is that it is so close to the truth it is uncanny. It is the reality,ergo,it is not funny because of that.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but -it is current affairs editorial policy to report the issue in a gender biased and not a gender balanced way -which is exactly what they do.

As regards RTE not having responsibility for a production it does not make any sense and it is unrealistic for anyone to believe that it carries and broadcasts shows unseen.

None of this is unreasonable or simething senior RTE staff would not be aware of and which is why the broadcasting of thesketch is incredibly insensitive.

While you are making a lot of noise in this thread about male domestic abuse and if that raises the profile of the issue, well done.

However, I think your criticisms of the sketch show are generously a million miles away from being valid ones.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So where's the thread to ban childrens cartoons ? Seriously, violence against animals is not a funny issue, Tom and Jerry has a hell of a lot to answer for, and as for all those poor henchmens families, does anyone ever think about them ? Shame.

Vicky Pollard is so close to the truth about chav teenage females that really there should have been a helpline provided. Irresponsible broadcasting.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    While you are making a lot of noise in this thread about male domestic abuse and if that raises the profile of the issue, well done.

However, I think your criticisms of the sketch show are generously a million miles away from being valid ones.
    Vicky Pollard is so close to the truth about chav teenage females that really there should have been a helpline provided. Irresponsible broadcasting.

Hey, I didn't find the show funny because it is not to my taste.

Its not a cartoon.

I can take what people are saying that the sketch was a bit of situation comedy and the intended joke was the drunken interviewer. To achieve that they used pathos and stereotyped a dv victim to do. Thats all fine and dandy is it .Even those defending it say it was unfunny and did not work. Fine.

I cant wait for someine to say it was subversive and parodying the broadcaster - my objection is the stereotyping and that it is so close to the actuality as not to be comedy at all.

I didnt intend to have this debate but while I am having it -what I am not doing is trying to raise the profile of the issue.

What I am saying is that if you look at it in the context of editorial and current affairs reporting , which may be what it is lampooning, it is that accurate as to be indistinguishable from actual practice. It may have not been intended but that was my reaction.Tne interviewer portrayal is well acted and I can probably identify on whom it is based.

So that sketch should either have cut on the basis that it was unfunny or contained a warning because it was insentive.

You may not agree with me but do you see my point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

No I dont, it is comedy show.

rovert wrote: »
    No I dont, it is comedy show.

So a comedy show does not have an ideological viewpoint ???

Is that your point ?

This one clearly doesn't.

This one clearly doesn't.

I have only seen it once. So it is not clear to me. All I can say as as an editorial issue on current affairs that the reporting is not gender balenced.

Yes. Your point would be more valid if it was a drama/documentary/current affairs program, in my opinion.

I think your criticisms of the sketch show are ridiculous. If you really think there should be a helpline for that, there should be a helpline for dozens of other causes. Its a utterly ridiculous point, and one Im not going to debate anymore.

Best of luck should you take the cause up further. Its a noble one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Is there a slipping on a banana skin helpline?

Thanks Morgans & everybody.

I am not on a crusade here & dont expect people to share my point of view - but as the thread ended up here i thought it only fair to explain my reasons for being offended.

Its something worth thinking about when you see a news, current affairs or drama show.

I am a fan of irish theatre and actors and recently started a thread " The Green & the Greasepaint" in History & Heritage on Irish Stage and Screen and people who played here and those who went abroad - the original Jane from Tarzan was Irish from Roscommon and I would love to see people add to the list.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055964448

I do agree that its a pity to take apart a sketch show on the basis of one sketch and that humour is subjective.

rovert wrote: »
    Is there a slipping on a banana skin helpline?

You might find what you need here under Hazards & Risks

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/

Advertisement