Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.dmt files

• 27-08-2008 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've checked the link the FAQ but it doesn't mention the above files.

I have a Canon A540 digital camera, and recorded a couple of videos months ago. After putting them on my laptop, they worked fine. However, I went to check them recently and they wouldn't open. The file type had changed to .dmt. Media Player won't play these files and I can't find anything about converting them back to .avi.

Does anyone know how/why this would have happened (I didn't knowingly change anything) and what exactly this file extension means? Any advice on how to get it back to .avi?

Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

hmmmmmm very strange, did you try simply changing the name to .avi ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 glupi

Yeah, I did, didn't work... it's really odd as I didn't change any settings or mess around with the file at all. And I've never heard of these extensions before.

When I tried to open it in Media Player, it said that a codec was missing. I know I could download it, but I'd rather convert the file.

i've never seen .dmt used in video files, (well not strictly true i have but not as the file extension) I've seen it in files related to delphi applications.

I had seen mention of delphi applications alright - do you know what the story with those are?

unless its a laptop from your work then i really doubt you have anything related to delphi on it

• Advertisement

No, just my own laptop. I had never even heard of delphi before this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Apparently certain older versions of QuickTime can open DMT files successfully. Perhaps try changing the file extension to .mov? Or just see if you can open the DMT file with QuickTime first.

I'll give it a go this evening. I'll be better able to describe what exactly is going on, as I don't have my laptop with me.

Cheers for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Would you have installed any CAD program since they last worked?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Jesus guys, I'm a moron. I had tried the video first thing yesterday morning, was very sleepy on the way to work, and had forgotten what exactly the extension was by the time I put up this thread. I thought it was dmt, and when I put that in google, it turned out to be a real file type, so I thought that was it. I checked it last night and it turns out the file is a .thm file which after a bit of browsing turns out to be a thumbnail file associated with a video. As is my understanding, the .thm file has no playable data, so I think there should be an associated .avi file there too.

Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for the help anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Hahaha.. It happens.

Right click the THM file and go to properties. There should be something there saying where the original file is located if you don't already know.

Sound, will do so when I get home tonight. Thanks again.

Advertisement