Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South of Ireland Amateur Open

• 15-07-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭

guys i'm going to be in lahinch during the time this comp is on, is it possible to spectate at the course for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

slingerz wrote: »
    guys i'm going to be in lahinch during the time this comp is on, is it possible to spectate at the course for this?

It is and it's encouraged. A good spot is the par three fifth or down by the 10th green from there you see 10,11,12, 13 as well as the 14th and 16th tees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm hoping to go watch at least one day of this. Was at the the final day last year and really enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm thinking of going for a look as well. Chance to see some quality golf up close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well worth it for anyone thinking of going. Great to see so many great golfers up close and personal and for no cost whatsoever. Just rock up and away you go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

It doesn't attract the top top amateurs anymore though... I remember watching Clarke Harrington mcginley McDowell mcgimpsey fanagan etc

• Advertisement

Moggaman wrote: »
    It doesn't attract the top top amateurs anymore though... I remember watching Clarke Harrington mcginley McDowell mcgimpsey fanagan etc

Thats a silly statement imo.

Who's to say what the current crop of amateurs will or won't be able to achieve after winning the South of Ireland. Wouldn't you love to say you were there when the next top irish professional won the South of ireland as an amateur, just as you love saying about Clarke, Harrington, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

My question simply is name the top 5 ranked Irish amateurs in the games at the moment and name how many will be in Lahinch .. If the answer is 3 or more I take your point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

You name them and tell us why they don't play the south? Might as well get to the point

Is it just the south they don't play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

There will a usual be little or none of the top amateurs at the south yet again, Why?? Interpros finish next Thursday which is 3 days x 36h, so it's simply too much golf. Along with tht all teams are picked before if so it's become pretty irrelevant, that's set to chamge though, with new dates in 2015. To answer the question no it's not the place to see the too amateurs anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

gorfield wrote: »
    There will a usual be little or none of the top amateurs at the south yet again, Why?? Interpros finish next Thursday which is 3 days x 36h, so it's simply too much golf. Along with tht all teams are picked before if so it's become pretty irrelevant, that's set to chamge though, with new dates in 2015. To answer the question no it's not the place to see the too amateurs anymore.

Cheers. So it's got an unfortunate tee time on the golfing calendar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Delighted Davy Fitz is getting hammered. No way he deserves to get into the tournament in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

what handicap is Davy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

what handicap is Davy ?

0.6 according to the GUI website. Bit rough on Davy relishing in his demise. If he is playing in such a major amateur competition you have to think he is there on merit. I'd love to be able to play to a standard that obviously he can!!

Would this dislike be stemming from another sport I wonder??? :P

Arsenium wrote: »
    0.6 according to the GUI website. Bit rough on Davy relishing in his demise. If he is playing in such a major amateur competition you have to think he is there on merit. I'd love to be able to play to a standard that obviously he can!!

Would this dislike be stemming from another sport I wonder??? :P

Nope, he is a good golfer, Just not the standard for the south and I just feel he takes the place of someone more deserving. He has done this on numerous occasions.

Nope, he is a good golfer, Just not the standard for the south and I just feel he takes the place of someone more deserving. He has done this on numerous occasions.

I'm just curious and not looking for an argument by the way.

But I'd love to know how you think he can be taking the place of someone more deserving? Whats the qualification criteria? A handicap cut off as I understand. So are you saying he is not a genuine 1 handicapper? From looking at the entrant sheet there are a hell of a lot of entrants with higher handicaps than he has.

The only way I could see him not being deserving is if he has an artificial handicap of 0.6 and turns up and plays to a handicap of 6 or 7. Thereby taking the place of someone more deserving.

I reckon if he makes the qualification grade he's as entitled as anyone to be there.

It appears there is no stroke play qualifying round in the South? Just straight into matchplay?

Oh dear Lord.....gone down 8&6 !! Bad day at the office :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Oh dear Lord.....gone down 8&6 !! Bad day at the office :eek:

From what I seen of him in the pro am at the irish open. He is more of a 5-8 handicapper. Not a chance in hell could be off 1 from what I seen that day. He duffed at 2 chips and hit poor approach shots for the 4 holes I seen him play.

I've heard on more than one occasion that he's handicap is nicely lower than it should be. Should be more in the region of 4 from what I've heard. Must still have done a few decent scores to get it down there.
    But there's plenty low guys out there dodging .1's and keeping their hcap down. Similar enough to the guys at the other end of the scale who manage to keep their handicap on the high side

I'm just curious and not looking for an argument by the way.

But I'd love to know how you think he can be taking the place of someone more deserving? Whats the qualification criteria? A handicap cut off as I understand. So are you saying he is not a genuine 1 handicapper? From looking at the entrant sheet there are a hell of a lot of entrants with higher handicaps than he has.

The only way I could see him not being deserving is if he has an artificial handicap of 0.6 and turns up and plays to a handicap of 6 or 7. Thereby taking the place of someone more deserving.

I reckon if he makes the qualification grade he's as entitled as anyone to be there.

It appears there is no stroke play qualifying round in the South? Just straight into matchplay?

IMO he is not a genuine 1 handicapper and that is well known around the clubs in Clare.

• Advertisement

IMO he is not a genuine 1 handicapper and that is well known around the clubs in Clare.

How did he manage to actually get there?

By just shooting good scores on one course I'm presuming is it?

We've a 6 handicapper at our course and he basically knows the place like the back of his hand but never plays anywhere else. Whenever he does it's usually an awful score. So he's like a 6 on our course, but a 10 outside

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Davy may not be a 1 handicap but he played a really good golfer today so I'd rather heap praise on that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

kiers47 wrote: »
    From what I seen of him in the pro am at the irish open. He is more of a 5-8 handicapper. Not a chance in hell could be off 1 from what I seen that day. He duffed at 2 chips and hit poor approach shots for the 4 holes I seen him play.

I think this a bit of Irish begrudgery just because he's famous.
    He had to beat his Hcp to get down to 0.6.
    If you think a couple of bad approach shots and a duffed chip makes him a 6 handicapper then some of the guys on tour should be amateurs.
    There golfers not machines form comes and goes look at Mcilory

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great day at Lahinch today. Course was good and the weather was great. More of the same tomorrow I hope......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

how many matches has he won in the south of ireland do you think?,you qualify for the south of ireland on merit!,just in case you didnt know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Where can I read up a bit more about the Handicap System used around those clubs in Clare?

Fair play to him, 99% of golfers on here couldn't do it, yet we all seem to need just a little bit more practice time..... Sure managing a team to an All Ireland wouldn't get in the way too much I suppose

I think this a bit of Irish begrudgery just because he's famous.
    He had to beat his Hcp to get down to 0.6.
    If you think a couple of bad approach shots and a duffed chip makes him a 6 handicapper then some of the guys on tour should be amateurs.
    There golfers not machines form comes and goes look at Mcilory

Fair play to him for getting to it. But as I said from what I seen he is not a 1 handicapper. I would never begrudge anyone and he is incredibly successful at what he does but that is just my opinion. As it seems to be many peoples who have seen him play!

Fair play to him for getting to it. But as I said from what I seen he is not a 1 handicapper. I would never begrudge anyone and he is incredibly successful at what he does but that is just my opinion. As it seems to be many peoples who have seen him play!

I've seen low handicappers with poor looking swings. It surprises me sometimes that their Hcp is so low.
    I think they're good because of their mind set more than anything else. Getting the job done no matter how ugly. Davy is a seriously focused and competitive individual and he's not only successful at hurling, he has co/created the family fitness program and sold the TV rights around the world.
    I'm a Tipperary man and supposed to hate him for that penalty he scored on us to win the all Ireland in 1999, but I can't help admire and respect the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Davy will have plenty of time to focus on golf now for the rest of the summer....

• Advertisement

I've seen low handicappers with poor looking swings. It surprises me sometimes that their Hcp is so low.
    I think they're good because of their mind set more than anything else. Getting the job done no matter how ugly. Davy is a seriously focused and competitive individual and he's not only successful at hurling, he has co/created the family fitness program and sold the TV rights around the world.
    I'm a Tipperary man and supposed to hate him for that penalty he scored on us to win the all Ireland in 1999, but I can't help admire and respect the guy.

As a Tipp man myself I really don't know what goal your talking about that Davy scored to win an all ireland.
    Also neither Clare or Tipp played in the all ireland in 1999. 1999 was the year of Joe Deane.
    Tipp were beaten by Clare in the 1997 all ireland but I'm fairly sure Clare didn't score a goal on us.

As a Tipp man myself I really don't know what goal your talking about that Davy scored to win an all ireland.
    Also neither Clare or Tipp played in the all ireland in 1999. 1999 was the year of Joe Deane.
    Tipp were beaten by Clare in the 1997 all ireland but I'm fairly sure Clare didn't score a goal on us.

Apologies Munster final either way I don't think a 14 Hcp can judge how a 1 Hcp plays golf.

Apologies Munster final either way I don't think a 14 Hcp can judge how a 1 Hcp plays golf.

I really don't remember him scoring a goal to win any final against Tipp! But anyway it hardly matters.

As I stated it is my opinion. We will have to agree to disagree

I really don't remember him scoring a goal to win any final against Tipp! But anyway it hardly matters.

As I stated it is my opinion. We will have to agree to disagree

Fair enough here's the clip, I was heart broken.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6pEvYGnpo

Fair enough here's the clip, I was heart broken.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6pEvYGnpo

That match finished in a draw. Granted they won the replay. But it wasn't a match winner.

So back to the golf!

The guy who beat Davy is 3 up thru 9 in his match today.

There is a link to live scoring through the Lahinch website

• Advertisement

That match finished in a draw. Granted they won the replay. But it wasn't a match winner.

It was a mental victory for them, anyway the guy is a legend deserves his place in the ....... (what's this thread called again?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

there is an off topic thread lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fair play to Davy getting to that handicap.

But in a more general sense - do you not think , lads would want to be going to that playing at least to scratch ?
    If it was me (never will be) - but I'd be sort of embarrassed going to that , unless I was sure that par or lower was in me most days ?

I still admire anybody who has the balls to do it.

no harm in going to something like that and testing yourself against the best golfers in the country. Really shows where your game is at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

But in a more general sense - do you not think , lads would want to be going to that playing at least to scratch ?
    If it was me (never will be) - but I'd be sort of embarrassed going to that , unless I was sure that par or lower was in me most days ?

It's matchplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It's matchplay.

No experience - just watched a few amateur events.

But - the point I'm making - there is no hiding if your game is not up to it ?

Sure your going to a championship course from the back sticks. On public display.

Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

A lot of players in those championships rarely come within shouting distance of par though.

Alan Lowry, Shane's younger brother is through to the last 16 as is 63 year old Arthur Pierse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

E. Griffin Vs S. Bleakley and D. Coughlan Vs R. Knightly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was fortunate enough to have been able see a lot of the action since Saturday. I walked the 1st semi final yesterday morning and Bleakley was highly impressive. His early scoring was excellent in a brisk wind - par, birdie, birdie, eagle, par, birdie......

The course won universal praise, and plans are afoot to change the change the dates of the event and briong the South back to it's rightful place at the very top of the list of annual golfing events in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Did anybody else impress you there?

I saw Robbie Cannon play a few holes. He was pretty good. Bleakley beat him soundly though - he won 5 holes on the trot in birdie I think.

I also saw a 2nd shot played on 17 to win a match - a serious full stop to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I saw Robbie Cannon play a few holes. He was pretty good. Bleakley beat him soundly though - he won 5 holes on the trot in birdie I think.

I also saw a 2nd shot played on 17 to win a match - a serious full stop to that one.

I heard he was like 6 or 7 under by the 12th when beating Robbie. Some golf as Robbie had been playing well before then.

Advertisement