Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing The Printer And Mounting The Storage Which Is Attached To A Eircom Modem

Options
  • 22-07-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have a Samsung CLP-320 Series printer.

I have it connected to the latest eircom modem, and the print server on the modem recognises the printer.

However my computer cant see the printer.

Do I have to create a port for it, or download software from eircom? I have the drivers for the printer, and it works fine when directly attached to the computer.

There is no issue with the cables, as the usb light lights, and the modem recognises the printer.

Is there a url for the printer perhaps?

Or do I have to create a tcp-ip port in the printer settings?

I want to attach storage to the USB port, If I use a powered hub, can I attach the storage and printer at the same time?

How do I mount any storage device attached? is it via FTP?

I am setting this up on windows 7 and a Linux pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For the storage access click in the address bar of explorer and enter

smb://192.168.1.254 and hit enter.

This should return a list of available shares at that address. Right-Click the one you're interested in and select Map Network Drive. The drive should now be accessible in explorer just like your other physical drives.

For the Print server you add a Network printer and create a new TCP/IP port with the address of your router - 192.168.1.254 usually - and Windows should find it and either install a driver or ask if you have a driver or wish to connect to Windows Update to download one.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dabl

I got this working in Windows after a lot of head-scratching. I hadn't encountered Windows network shares before.

I put a drive in USB port 1 or 2; clicked My Computer; Map Network Drive; \\192.168.1.254\usbkey\usb1_1; enter router username/password.

On openSUSE:
    > sudo mount //192.168.1.254/usbkey/usb1_1 /mnt/test -o user=admin

This isn't perfect as it means you have to be root to modify the files. Nautilus can be used to 'mount' it and it will be at /run/user/1000/... and that can be modified without root. The following gives another type of access.

> smbclient //192.168.1.254 -U admin%password

I'm still scratching my head :-P. Tried everything last night but couldn't get it to work. The resolution is thanks to some hints on these boards.

Media sharing worked out of the box but only with the first USB port.

Apart from that a worthy successor to the old Netopia!

Advertisement