Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an American bought phone in Ireland

Options
  • 08-07-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I was looking into buying the Google Nexus 5 from the Google Store.
    My mobile network is Three and heres the information i have so far.

Under the "Networks" section of the tech specs of the Nexus 5 is as follows:

NETWORKS
    2G/3G/4G LTE

North America:
    GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
    WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
    LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Rest of World:
    GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
    LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

On the Three networks wikipedia page it says that in Ireland the UTMS/HSPA/3G frequency is 2100 MHz and LTE/4G is 1800MHz

Does this mean that if i bought the phone it would only work on 4G here because theyre the only matching frequencies?

Help much appreciated thank you in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I have a USA Nexus 5, it does not work with LTE here but works fine otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You should be able to buy the "European" version of Nexus 5 in the Irish Google Play Store

You should be able to buy the "European" version of Nexus 5 in the Irish Google Play Store

You mean the "Rest of World" version listed above, there is no European version

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BrianB4

I have a USA Nexus 5, it does not work with LTE here but works fine otherwise

What carrier are you with?

BrianB4 wrote: »
    What carrier are you with?

Vodafone, but it will work on any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

3 do not officially support phones not purchased from 3. That isn't to say it will not work, but you may experience problems switching from 2g<->3g (like MANY others). It's not a problem with the phone, but more with 3s lousy setup.

Advertisement