Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's Big Brother

• 18-08-2003 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭

RTE are set to start their own Celebrity Big Brother this month.

I heard this on the radio this morning, and can't find anything online to back it up, but apparently they are only filming between 7am and 7pm..... This sounds COMPLETELY ridiculous to me. No alcohol-fueled post-dinner debates?

The line-up so far (Twink and Senator David Norris) isn't exactly tweaking my interest either......

Anyone got any concrete info on this?

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please someone tell me this is a joke!!!!

Times like this make me glad I moved out of the country :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

all they need now is Pat Kenny,Gay Byrne, and Ann Doyle - and you've got yourself a coma inducing hour worth of programming

I'm afraid it is true....
    There was a piece I remember reading in the Sunday world about it, I think in the issue after the final of BB4UK.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Surely not :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Twink and Senator David Norris

Well they're off to a good start with those two twits, possibly THEE most annoying people on this Island.

Will deffo not watch this, not even a sneaky peek once in a while.
    Thank you RTE, for once again wasting my TV license money.
    Good day to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wonder if the Sun will offer 50,000 for the first shag?

Can't wait to hear who else is on it..... Off the top of my head, I'd say we'll get a politician or two, probably someone from Westlife or Bellefire, Simon Casey or Mickey Harte, Kee' Duffy, George Hamilton, Ronan Collins, Derek Davis, someone from Fair City, an ex-Glenroe cast member, Darina Allen.....

How am I doing so far? Any other 'suggestions'? :)

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

RTE being it'sw original best. Twink was quiet popular on the Dublin panto circuit. David Norris is also very popular with RTE.

It is a pity they don't put in a bit of edffort in producing some decent programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

This is only a suggestion.

Would they not do Big Bother Ireland first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I heard a little of this on Ryan this morning and thought it was a windup and im still not convinced otherwise.

If it did happen i would assume they wouild use the UK house and OB Units.
    Would they not do Big Bother Ireland first?

They wouldnt have the money. Putting aside the cost of actually building the house and studio, theres the enourmous cost of a very big production team working in shifts 24/7 for 12 weeks.

Cheaper to do a celeb week in the uk house.

With the amount of phone calls and **** that goes with big bother RTE would probable just breakeven.

They made a packet on You're A Star and how much was made from cabin fever.

I am sure they could do it they could do it. I am sure they have people working during the morning that could look after that.

And anyway do you really want to see people sleep.

I think they should just let TV3 do it.

Please just let reality tv Die.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Elmo
    With the amount of phone calls and **** that goes with big bother RTE would probable just breakeven.

Break even eh? ok, lets see your budget and projected revenues.
    They made a packet on You're A Star and how much was made from cabin fever.

Probably not as much as you seem to think. Remeber that the running costs for an Irish BB would be almost exactly the same as for the english one and theres only a maximum of 3million people as opposed to 60 million in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

They couldn't even host Who Wants to be A Millionaire without asking stupidly ambiguous questions. They seemed to be terrified of somebody actually winning. So I don't think we'll see that back on our screens any time soon. Or does anybody know different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by TmB
    they are only filming between 7am and 7pm

ROFL. what's the point of that. i can see rejects from the Louis Walsh stable taking up a few spaces trying to resurrect a failed career. i plan on not watching whenever this gets going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I hope Dustin is in it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Break even eh? ok, lets see your budget and projected revenues.

Probably not as much as you seem to think. Remeber that the running costs for an Irish BB would be almost exactly the same as for the english one and theres only a maximum of 3million people as opposed to 60 million in the UK.

Everyone knows that reality TV is the cheapest kind- base a cheapass house on the land they own in D4, or plonk it on the west coast if they can't do it there for whatever reason. Crews? Well BB4 had about 200 people working on it I believe - the average RTE show has 12 people, the average radio show has 4. So, in essence, if you mess with the figures in your head - it could be done - but everything would have to be trimmed down from the U.K. version and done on a shoelace budget.

However, if they just devoted half their day on N2 to BB coverage - they'd save a lot instead of having to produce the usual crop of summer sh!te we're 'treated' to.

The phone calls would probably make up the costs too. A vast number of people vote from here in the UK versions. And what about the numbers that voted for You're A Star and Cabin Fever? We are clearly a TV and telephone-vote savvy nation. Plus RTE must have plenty of revenue stockpiled from either of the aforementioned TV shows.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest I can't see there being enough people in Ireland interested in this sh*te to make it viable to make and air.

I still confused how they managed to keep Cabin Fever going as long as they did considering how crap it was.

I for one don't want RTE wasting my TV License money on this kinda sh*te!

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Everyone knows that reality TV is the cheapest kind- base a cheapass house on the land they own in D4, or plonk it on the west coast if they can't do it there for whatever reason. Crews? Well BB4 had about 200 people working on it I believe - the average RTE show has 12 people, the average radio show has 4. So, in essence, if you mess with the figures in your head - it could be done - but everything would have to be trimmed down from the U.K. version and done on a shoelace budget.

Then your not talking about Big Brother anymore, your talking about "Irish People Locked in a House ".

I have no idea what guidelines Endemol have for selling the franchise (looking at BB USA they dont seem to strict tho) but bear in mind that Celador were VERY VERY strict when it came to Millionaire.

I still say that to do Big Brother as we know it, is next to impossible for RTE.

Originally posted by NoelRock

The phone calls would probably make up the costs too. A vast number of people vote from here in the UK versions. And what about the numbers that voted for You're A Star and Cabin Fever? We are clearly a TV and telephone-vote savvy nation. Plus RTE must have plenty of revenue stockpiled from either of the aforementioned TV shows.

You're a Star went from ~30k to about 200k votes during its run. I cant imagine Cabin Fever generating more than 100k votes at a peak. Not going to stockpile much from that im afraid.

BB UK Would be disapointed if they got less than 1 1/2 million votes and i think the record was 5 or 6 million

Then your not talking about Big Brother anymore, your talking about "Irish People Locked in a House ".

Sorry did I just miss the point of big brother? :confused:
    I have no idea what guidelines Endemol have for selling the franchise (looking at BB USA they dont seem to strict tho) but bear in mind that Celador were VERY VERY strict when it came to Millionaire.

And RTE broke-even with Millionaire.
    And RTE made 3,000,000 euro with Popstars
    And RTE made just as much with You're A Star
    I still say that to do Big Brother as we know it, is next to impossible for RTE.

1. Telephone Call = 75c per min
    2. Text Messaging = 60c per text
    3. Make up a whole load of silly poll (Show Me The Money)
    4. O2's sponsorship
    5. It's a Prefab not the most expensive kind of house
    6. Fill in N2 schedule with BB from 12 - 6 every morning
    7. 200 people for 2 months of filming isn't alot when it comes to TV
    8. Its cheap crap tv do it on a shoe string or don't bother doing it.
    9. RTE had 400,000 viewers for Cabin Fever every monday night for eviction and 200,000 viewers every sunday night.
    10. DVD Big Brother Ireland Uncovered etc.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Please!
    Is anyone actually watching ANY of the BIg Brothers they are trying to shove down our throat for another season.
    IS THIS what our €150 is getting nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think I remember hearing that the final for BB would be the same night as the first late late show (to try and keep the viewers away from Dunphy on TV3).

I think it will be well under 2 months. I would be surprised if it was more than 2 weeks, to be honest.

- Dave.

Is anyone actually watching ANY of the BIg Brothers they are trying to shove down our throat for another season.

Yes unfortunately that why there are so many of them, thats why E4 are showing the american one.
    And that why the BBC do Fame Acadamy and ITV do Pop Idol. Blah Blah Blah its just all Blah. (I HATE REALITY TV) :mad:
    IS THIS what our €150 is getting nowadays?

No, as RTE don't spend the Lience fee on any of their reality TV as it comes from CEL their commercial, as far as I know, anyway they make their money back with all of them, see todays Evening Herald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Christ! Just when you thought Big Brother couldn't get any worse ..... the Irish finally get round to francising it.

No doubt this is going to be the tackiest / low rent version of the show ever made? The set will probably make the Africa House look like Buckingham Palace by comparison? Actually scratch that, RTE will probably not even BOTHER building a set and instead will just buy a semi-detached in Fairview.

As a bonus if they could get the show wrapped by September then they could rent it out to cash strapped 1st year University Students. That should keep the licence fee down for another year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

oh my god... this sounds like the biggest pile of toss ever.....

i think everyone has had their fill of rubbish reality tv... im sure a low budget irish version of BB would be laughable...

cabin fever was the biggest pile of 5h1t that i have ever had the displeasure of watching... as for that handbag of a presenter mr mooney... he should be hosting bingo nights instead of irish prime time tv...

anyway... if this goes ahead it will FLOP.... no more reality tv from ireland please....

no more reality tv from ireland please

Why not? Why do Irish people always do this?

If its Irish Its crap.

I liked Treasure Island much better then Big Brother.

Big Brother is tacky, ****, LCD, cheap, boaring and its not Irish.
    cabin fever was the biggest pile of 5h1t that i have ever had the displeasure of watching

TRUE BUT DID YOU NOT SEE BIG BROTHER.
    Africa House look like Buckingham Palace

At least the africans looked like they were having fun.
    No doubt this is going to be the tackiest / low rent version of the show ever made? The set will probably make the Africa House look like Buckingham Palace by comparison? Actually scratch that, RTE will probably not even BOTHER building a set and instead will just buy a semi-detached in Fairview.

May be TV3 will make the show, they need something to do.

If its Irish Its crap.

im not saying that because its irish its crap.. im saying its crap because it is crap...
    TRUE BUT DID YOU NOT SEE BIG BROTHER

yes it wasn't great, but it was a lot easier to watch than cabin fever.... horrible...

im not saying that because its irish its crap.. im saying its crap because it is crap...

Well if its crap then say its crap just because its crap rather then:-
    i think everyone has had their fill of rubbish reality tv... im sure a low budget irish version of BB would be laughable...

and
    anyway... if this goes ahead it will FLOP.... no more reality tv from ireland please....
    yes it wasn't great, but it was a lot easier to watch than cabin fever.... horrible...

Yes in comparison to Cabin Fever(Not because it was an irish show), BB was good, but BB is still crap and that because it just is crap and it would still be crap if RTE or TV3 did it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

The only BB I would like to see from RTE is the camera's capturing whatever programming meetings they have - just to see what gobsh*te come up with the crap we have to put up with.

Sorry did I just miss the point of big brother? :confused:

Yes, because i meant that without 24/7 coverage its not big brother as laid out by the franchise guidelines.

And RTE broke-even with Millionaire.
    And RTE made 3,000,000 euro with Popstars
    And RTE made just as much with You're A Star

Sources please? I find 3m euro for Youre a star hard to believe.

5. It's a Prefab not the most expensive kind of house
    7. 200 people for 2 months of filming isn't alot when it comes to TV

This is mind boggling. Do you actually believe this?

How do you think the pictures from the bb house get to your tv screen? Have you any idea of the amount of kit that is in the bb house? Broadcast tv gear isnt cheap.

As paying 200 people for 62 days at union rates.......

• Advertisement

Yes, because i meant that without 24/7 coverage its not big brother as laid out by the franchise guidelines.

No I was talking about the locked in the house part of that quote not the 24/7 part, Which I didn't quote. You should have said, looking at "Irish People Locked in a House" for only half the day is not big bother its just a some saddo watching a pale imiation of power TV.

The point of big bother is to watch people 24/7
    LOCKED IN A HOUSE, not the most enjoyable plot.
    Sources please? I find 3m euro for Youre a star hard to believe

Definately for Popstars, DVD etc that went with that even the album which got to NO. 29.

But think about it same type of show gets 990,000 viewers for the final 2 nights, 500,000 during the rest of the year plus sponsorship from O2 plus the single plus the album both of which got to NO 1 for mickey joe.

For popstars RTE had a Press Release.
    This is mind boggling. Do you actually believe this?

OKAY OKAY perhaps not.

But a how much does a prefab cost to build?

RTE would have enough Cameras lieing around during the summer months to do the show? The dont have to move at night just place the in one place, how many people does it take to produce the den?

Also your not paying the contestants to be on the show €100,000 or €70,000 isn't alot of money.
    As paying 200 people for 62 days at union rates

That's why TV3 should do it.

And 200 people in my book is to many to employ for such sh1t

Well if its crap then say its crap just because its crap rather then:-

and

quote:

and

quote:

quote:

Yes in comparison to Cabin Fever(Not because it was an irish show), BB was good, but BB is still crap and that because it just is crap and it would still be crap if RTE or TV3 did it. :mad:

i think you missed the point here... im not saying that ireland could not produce a good quality reality show... im saying that the attempts so far have been crap.... there is no disputing that

i think you missed the point here... im not saying that ireland could not produce a good quality reality show... im saying that the attempts so far have been crap.... there is no disputing that

Well thats your opinion. I liked Treasure Island both series. The one TG4 did seemed good when I saw it. SOS.

Fine Cabin Fever was bad as was Haunted House (Shudder).

But then The Salon is the worst. (Shudder, Vomit etc)

Just then dont single out the fact that they are Irish lets face it IMO there is no disputing that Reality TV is crap not just because its irish, Generalise please.
    im saying that the attempts so far have been crap....

Well then just say that.

Definately for Popstars, DVD etc that went with that even the album which got to NO. 29.

But think about it same type of show gets 990,000 viewers for the final 2 nights, 500,000 during the rest of the year plus sponsorship from O2 plus the single plus the album both of which got to NO 1 for mickey joe.

For popstars RTE had a Press Release.

Im asking for real, verifiable sources that back up your assertion that rte made a certain amount of money from these shows. Not what you think they probably made. There could have been 4,000,000 people watching the final show but this in itself does not earn rte any money. They need 4mil people to vote and then they start to make a lot of money. They can then also charge more for advertising if they can guarentee those viewing figures. The single and album does not garner them any revenues.

But a how much does a prefab cost to build?

I have absolutly no idea. Im not a builder or an engineer so i dont make wild guesses. iirc the uk bb house cost around a million for materials and construction alone, thats not including the tech required for tv.
    RTE would have enough Cameras lieing around during the summer months to do the show? The dont have to move at night just place the in one place,

No they wouldnt have cameras 'lying about the place'. Have you watched big brother? Lets say there are 20 cameras. Im guessing, but id say 5 of these are 'studio' cameras as you imagine them. the other 15 would be remote controlled 'hothead' cameras that are run via the control room. Its these cameras that allow the full coverage. These cameras are not cheap. Neither is the desk in the control room that controls them. Neither is the 3 trained and experienced operators who runs them (3 x 8 hour shifts).
    how many people does it take to produce the den?

Your comparing a pres show with one camera that lasts about 50 minutes of screen time with a 15+camera remote production that runs 24/7 ?

Also your not paying the contestants to be on the show €100,000 or €70,000 isn't alot of money.

No, but your paying a team of researchers standard rates to find, interview, screen, audition, and 'train' the contestants.

And 200 people in my book is to many to employ for such sh1t

Which is why your not a well paid endemol producer i guess:)

I liked Treasure Island both series. .

Treasure Island isnt really an irish program. Its an australian franchise. Like the way there was an Irish Popstars.

Cabin Fever is an original Irish format. I think theres talk of foreign sales.

Treasure Island isnt really an irish program. Its an australian franchise. Like the way there was an Irish Popstars.

So it was good because it was an australian franchise, of course its a New Zealand Franchise but anyway. Popstars is Austrailian

Then The Irish Cele BB wont really be irish now would it. => good?

What was your point?
    Cabin Fever is an original Irish format. I think theres talk of foreign sales.

Yeah thats what I heard. Just like the Lyrics Board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Cabin Fever was terrible....

BB Ireland wont happen, but it should.
    If they can spend a couple of million punts whenever it was that we hosted the Eurovision last, you would think they could do Big Brother Ireland..... but no. The danger is, it might be good and god forbid RTE would ever broadcast ANYTHING even vaguely watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by embee
    it might be good and god forbid RTE would ever broadcast ANYTHING even vaguely watchable.

but they do, it's called Prime Time. an excellent show. i can't think of anything else though :(

BB Ireland wont happen, but it should.
    If they can spend a couple of million punts whenever it was that we hosted the Eurovision last, you would think they could do Big Brother Ireland..... but no. The danger is, it might be good and god forbid RTE would ever broadcast ANYTHING even vaguely watchable.

HELLO! BIG BROTHER IS SH1T.

BIG BROTHER SHOULD NEVER BE MADE AGAIN PLEASE.

IT IS THE WORST TV IN THE WORLD IT IS THE LCD OF LCD'S

RTE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED SQUANDER LICENCE FEE ON BB LET TV3 DO THAT.

Advertisement