Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    MartinONeillistheman

FúckoffMartin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What an absolutely stupid comment. Martin O'Neill has a fantastic record. So what if he doesn't wear a suit or have a tan, he has done exceptionally well everywhere he has gone. Just look at the state of Villa since his departure. He has certainly turned things around for Sunderland as well. I think O'Neill deserves a little bit more respect that you are giving him.

I don't know if the owners would fancy him, but surely he's on their shortlist.

What a joke of an appointment Rijkaard would be, why not get his mate Ruud Gullit in as no.2 while we're at it!!! Names like Rijkaard and Klinsmann pop up every time a big job is available.

Rijkaard - A European Cup winning manager.

Martin O'Neill - Ask some Villa fan's what they think of the job he did & money he spent to do it? No where near good enough for LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So what if he doesn't wear a suit or have a tan, he has done exceptionally well everywhere he has gone.

Yea that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

I think people would be way off the mark to assume that John Henry and Tom Werner are sat with a list just making a choice on their own. They've engaged discussion and the services of some very, very talented and knowledgeable people from within the football industry.

I'd love to know just who is advicing FSG, we know David Dein will have an input but there's more then one person giving advice - who are these faceless people:D?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Yea that's it.

Clearly there is some sad and childish reason you have for your moronic anti-O'Neill campaign. He has a great record. No one can dispute his record at Leicester, Celtic and Villa and he looks to be doing a great job at Sunderland.

Any football person can see that MO'N is a good manager, yet half of the no-nothings on here are clamouring for the likes of Roberto Martinez and Didier Deschamps. Give me O'Neill any day.

Although, I can't see the owners fancying him for the same reasons that they may not go for Rafa.

Clearly there is some sad and childish reason you have for your moronic anti-O'Neill campaign. He has a great record. No one can dispute his record at Leicester, Celtic and Villa and he looks to be doing a great job at Sunderland.

Any football person can see that MO'N is a good manager, yet half of the no-nothings on here are clamouring for the likes of Roberto Martinez and Didier Deschamps. Give me O'Neill any day.

Although, I can't see the owners fancying him for the same reasons that they may not go for Rafa.

Maybe there is a reason for your moronic posts?
    I'm glad you have noted my opinion on Martin, I wouldn't call it a campaign though but there is certainly room to flesh it out into one and I will now consider doing so.

Also, the reasons the owners won't go for Rafa or Martin are very different reasons, not the same reason/s whatsoever so yet again I have little idea what you are on about.

I'm sure plenty of people can dispute his record at various clubs, I'll leave that to them, I just think he is gash and an irritant.
    Perhaps if he gets a proper tan, a good suit (I've occasionally seen him in a budget suit) and importantly a Rafa goatee I will come around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Managing Celtic or Rangers counts for nothing, otherwise I'm wondering where the cries for Gordon Strachan to get the job are? I'm no more interested in a few of Martin's forays into the latter stages of the champs (2nd round or 1/4 final) league than i am in the manager of the occasional Romanian, Swiss, Belgian or Cypriot team who sneak in. It's not evidence of consistent Euro success.

Villa - Where he won precisely what? Qualified for the Champions League when? Spent a load of money, left the club in a difficult position financially and with as bare a trophy cabinet.

Sunderland finished 13th ! ....9 points above the relegation places. After beating Liverpool they only other team they beat in the next 10 games was QPR!! Record in the last 11 games of the season was W - 2, D -5, L -4.

Spectacular.

I accuse you of being an Everton fan in disguise if you genuinely think O'Neill is the man for Liverpool. A man with no trophies and with very limited European experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

opr wrote: »
    I'd be stunned if Rijkaard was in the running. I campaigned heavily for him when we lost Rafa because the other names seemed so underwhelming. We could have afforded the gamble on him back then but two managers later he would represent far too high a risk. Please lets get a good DOF in place first to help make this decision. Begiristain if we can get him seems to be the stand out candidate.

Opr

Rijkaard was Begiristain's first hire at Barca!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

(I've occasionally seen him in a budget suit) and importantly a Rafa goatee I will come around.

picture.php?albumid=1215&pictureid=12851

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bought him as backup. The point is we could lose our best players, e.g. Suarez and Skrtel. They won't fancy wasting their best years at a club in disarray. We're back to square 1. Kenny stuck by Suarez and I'm sure Suarez won't forget that.

Can't se Lucas being too happy about Suarez heading off either.

AVB comes in, straight away is at loggerheads with older players like Gerrard, then we have the same poisonous atmosphere that Chelsea had.

Disastrous decision to sack Kenny.

I'm sure the thought of staying with a mid-table premier league side fills them with joy though and definitely a situation they'd want to spent their best years at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

tibor wrote: »
    Rijkaard was Begiristain's first hire at Barca!

He was also instrumental in removing him and admitted he kept faith with him for a season more than he should have done.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

So just like Arsene Wenger was suited in name to Arsenal .

Then Klopp is the man for the Kop .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I keep seeing this pop up time and time again, its no reason not to sack a manager who's not doing a good job. As the saying goes, you have to speculate to accumulate.

I might be mistaken, but FSG sacked the guy who won them 2 world series (a game they know intimately better) and are currently stone last in whatever it is they play, not a clue about baseball myself. Saw a few comments go past on my timeline, no idea myself but thats what they said.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    picture.php?albumid=1215&pictureid=12851

+tan
    +suit
    name change to Martinez h'O Neillio and I am on board, sign him up, 5 year plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Morzadec wrote: »
    Plus there would be loads of great pun opportunities involving Klopp and the Kop.

Tabloids would love it

'Klopp: I won't be Kop Flop' - Headline the day after his first presser if appointed
    'Klopp Kop Flop' - Headline next May when he's sacked for us finishing 6th.
    What an absolutely stupid comment. Martin O'Neill has a fantastic record. So what if he doesn't wear a suit or have a tan, he has done exceptionally well everywhere he has gone. Just look at the state of Villa since his departure. He has certainly turned things around for Sunderland as well. I think O'Neill deserves a little bit more respect that you are giving him.

What a joke of an appointment Rijkaard would be, why not get his mate Ruud Gullit in as no.2 while we're at it!!! Names like Rijkaard and Klinsmann pop up every time a big job is available.

You defend Martin O'Neill. In recent months you've suggested Liverpool should sign Damian Duff and James Mclean in, given out about us not keeping Keane and commended Kenny for 'having a bit of Roy Keane about him'. Seems to me you have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Irish players and managers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Sappy404 wrote: »
    'Klopp: I won't be Kop Flop' - Headline the day after his first presser if appointed
    'Klopp Kop Flop' - Headline next May when he's sacked for us finishing 6th.

Imagine if he had an assistant called Klip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just for the young ones on the board, those who don't fully get what Kenny means to the club here's a simple stat...

(...this does not mean he didn't deserve to go - this is just for anyone who is happy to push him to the wayside like some senile aul' bollix...)

22 seasons as players and manager and he won 32 trophies.
    Ferguson has won 37 trophies in 26 years with United.

food for thought.

now that we've sacked him, like I've said all along, and the reason why I've been so on the fence about whether he should be let go at all...is that someone needs to come in that is a better prospect than him.

that is not Martinez.
    that is not Rodgers.
    that is not Sven.
    that is not O'Neill.

imo, it's AVB or Rafa. or in fact Pellegrini, if he's for some reason fed up with getting Malaga to the Champions League and wants to try England :D

then the risk for me is Lambert, just because i still think there is something special about him.

i'd cry if i found out any of the 4 aforementioned were even considered for the position; and i'd start to really worry about FSG as owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I would cry if O'Neill was hired. And i would give serious thought to never watching Liverpool while he was in charge. In fact, i could see myself just giving up on football altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

daithijjj wrote: »
    I might be mistaken, but FSG sacked the guy who won them 2 world series (a game they know intimately better) and are currently stone last in whatever it is they play, not a clue about baseball myself. Saw a few comments go past on my timeline, no idea myself but thats what they said.

Yeah, they sacked Terry Francona following a disastrous end to last season (uh oh!) and rumours he had lost the dressing room. Basically, for months they were favourites to win the World Series, but ended up missing the playoffs.

If my memory is correct they then flapped around for weeks before signing a new manager. They brought in 4/5 candidates for interview but the new guy (Valentine) was basically the last one available so they had no choice but to take him and so far this season he's already been booed by his own fans!

This is why I'm worried at the moment. In Boston they sacked a legend (many think unfairly) and replaced him with someone who talks the talk but appears to be out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep let's aim for the Martin O' Neills and Martinez type managers. Then again you were the very one on here a couple of days before Kenny was sacked saying that Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew were the kind of young managers you fancied for the Liverpool job over the likes of Deschamps and Benitez.

Plenty of us have said who we would like to see get the job.

Maybe you can actually say who you would like to get the job and why you think those candidates would be a good fit at Liverpool.

To help you here are four managers that you already mentioned as being the kind you would like,

Chris Hughton
    Alan Pardew
    Martin O' Neill
    Roberto Martinez

All four are men that you said were quality candidates for the role and you have said so in the past few days on here, so tell me what those four offer that managers who have managed team to league titles and champions league titles do not offer.

Do you think those four are more experienced?
    Do you think those four are tactically better?
    Is there something else about those four that makes you think they would excel at Liverpool?

I'm not trying to take the piss out of you with this post, I am genuinely asking you to see if you can come out and say why you like the idea of the managers you yourself have mentioned and give reasons as to why yoy think they are better choices than many of the other managers mentioned.

I named my three favoured managers yesterday, three that I think might be realistic rather than my dream managers, and I said why.

My three were Rafa, Deschamps and AVB as a wildcard.

Let's hear you stick your names up and say why.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Lads do you think Kenny will enter back into management with any other clubs again or is that the end of him? (in a managing sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Augmerson wrote: »
    Lads do you think Kenny will enter back into management with any other clubs again or is that the end of him? (in a managing sense)

i think its the end of him i feel he only came back to manage liverpool due to his love of the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think he is done with managing, but I reckon when new owners take over the club he will be brought back in some kind of role to get the fans onside.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Like when David Dein hired Wenger for Arsenal when he was working in Japan? Wonder would Rudi Garcia be given a chance? Lille play some nice football, won Ligue 1 last season but have relinquished the title this season and with Hazard leaving, he might want a fresh challenge.

Wenger was not a total unknown when Arsenal signed him though. The English media seem to like to make out that he was some obscure manager from Japan, but he had already won the French title with two different clubs and made Monaco a bit of a force in Europe before things turned sour for him in France. Bayern Munich and Milan also tried to get him as manager but Monaco held Wenger to his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think he could be back managing in the next season or two, yeah. Best of luck to him.

Benimar wrote: »
    Yeah, they sacked Terry Francona following a disastrous end to last season (uh oh!) and rumours he had lost the dressing room. Basically, for months they were favourites to win the World Series, but ended up missing the playoffs.

If my memory is correct they then flapped around for weeks before signing a new manager. They brought in 4/5 candidates for interview but the new guy (Valentine) was basically the last one available so they had no choice but to take him and so far this season he's already been booed by his own fans!

This is why I'm worried at the moment. In Boston they sacked a legend (many think unfairly) and replaced him with someone who talks the talk but appears to be out of his depth.

Thanks.

I was hoping i was wrong but there are some similarities here i dont want to indulge in right now while i dont have access to alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I have no idea about the baseball side of things and i dont really care tbh id only pass comment on whats going on over there i was clued in on it. I know whats going on with Liverpool though and changes needed to be made. There wouldnt be half the outcry if it wasnt Kenny, i see comments of you cant sack a legend, he loves the club etc. but thats not enough in this day and age. I have my concerns about the advice FSG are getting but im happy with how swift theyve moved to make changes that needed to be made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think he could be back managing in the next season or two, yeah. Best of luck to him.

Really? Where could you see him going?

Kess73 wrote: »
    Wenger was not a total unknown when Arsenal signed him though. The English media seem to like to make out that he was some obscure manager from Japan, but he had already won the French title with two different clubs and made Monaco a bit of a force in Europe before things turned sour for him in France. Bayern Munich and Milan also tried to get him as manager but Monaco held Wenger to his contract.

Would he have been well known to the general public though? Perhaps Monaco being in Europe might have made him a "one to watch".

I'm thinking there might have been a "Who?" reaction when it was announced.

I could be very wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Major story breaking....

John Henry unfollows Kenny on twitter.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/4160/extra-time/2012/05/17/3109123/extra-time-dalglish-walks-alone-as-john-w-henry-unfollows-him-on-
    King Kenny has hit rock bottom. Unceremoniously booted out of Liverpool by Fenway Sports Group (FSG) on Wednesday, following showdown talks in Boston on Monday, and now, perhaps, the biggest insult of the lot: John W. Henry has unfollowed him on Twitter.

O.k., not major, but taking the purge a bit far though. :)

• Advertisement

He was also instrumental in removing him and admitted he kept faith with him for a season more than he should have done.

Didn't know he said that??
    His 2nd last season they finished level on points with Madrid and only lost on head-to-heads!! His last season was poor, but he had to deal with a shedload of injuries, and still finished 3rd.

Anywho, I'd certainly be happy for him to be in the running for the position ahead of the likes of Rodgers or O'Neill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

You defend Martin O'Neill. In recent months you've suggested Liverpool should sign Damian Duff and James Mclean in, given out about us not keeping Keane and commended Kenny for 'having a bit of Roy Keane about him'. Seems to me you have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Irish players and managers.

Don't forget the constant calls for Jon Flannagan to get an Irish call up, that has been the funniest in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

tibor wrote: »
    Didn't know he said that??
    His 2nd last season they finished level on points with Madrid and only lost on head-to-heads!! His last season was poor, but he had to deal with a shedload of injuries, and still finished 3rd.

Anywho, I'd certainly be happy for him to be in the running for the position ahead of the likes of Rodgers or O'Neill!

It's in Graham Hunter's recent book on Barcelona. This also makes interesting reading to see how considered and clever Bergstein is in what he does and they way they waited to employ Guardiola.

He's exactly what we need, a proper footballing man with bags of experience in the job, with a proven track to make these decisions.

6839c1a2.jpg

2504aa05.jpg

915fd765.jpg

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i got 10 - 1 odds on avb yesterday before he became favorite. really hopes its rafa or avb for the job. both of these men backed well in the transfer market could turn this clubs fortunes around

Thrill wrote: »
    Major story breaking....

John Henry unfollows Kenny on twitter.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/4160/extra-time/2012/05/17/3109123/extra-time-dalglish-walks-alone-as-john-w-henry-unfollows-him-on-

O.k., not major, but taking the purge a bit far though. :)

Someone else tweeted that John Henry was never following Kenny on twitter in the first place.

I have no idea about the baseball side of things and i dont really care tbh id only pass comment on whats going on over there i was clued in on it. I know whats going on with Liverpool though and changes needed to be made. There wouldnt be half the outcry if it wasnt Kenny, i see comments of you cant sack a legend, he loves the club etc. but thats not enough in this day and age. I have my concerns about the advice FSG are getting but im happy with how swift theyve moved to make changes that needed to be made.

Absolutely fair enough.

The problem i have is that fans cannot have double standards, and if you dont, you must then expect the same ruthlessness in 12 months surely if it pans out the same?.

30 mil and call the next guy, and the next?.

When we were looking for new owners, pretty much everyone said they wanted owners who would back a manager and give him reasonable time, i dont consider 1 full season time with so many new bodies.

Would he have been well known to the general public though? Perhaps Monaco being in Europe might have made him a "one to watch".

I'm thinking there might have been a "Who?" reaction when it was announced.

I could be very wrong though.

I know in France he was fairly well known and he was a regular in the German papers due to him being linked to Bayern a few time. I lived in Stuttgart towards the end of his career in France so my take on him would be based on the fact he was mentioned so often in the sporting press over there.

Someone else tweeted that John Henry was never following Kenny on twitter in the first place.

That may very well be true. The story has already been taken down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Thrill wrote: »
    That may very well be true. The story has already been taken down.

Think we need a seperate forum for all the Twitter garbage at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

It's in Graham Hunter's recent book on Barcelona. This also makes interesting reading to see how considered and clever Bergstein is in what he does and they way they waited to employ Guardiola.

He's exactly what we need, a proper footballing man with bags of experience in the job, with a proven track to make these decisions.

Opr

Would be much more confident in the decision on who to bring in as manager if they could get someone like him on board first

Think we need a seperate forum for all the Twitter garbage at this stage.

It was on Goal.com and is still on Bleacherreport.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

So lads Owen has been released by United. What would ye say to him returning?

Joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Owen can shag off to sunderland or west brom or somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I'd say let him jog on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

yesno1234 wrote: »

Joke
    if he was only paid on a pay per game basis, otherwise leave him finish his career elsewhere,
    but also we have our own older striker with belamy and if it came down to one or the other id pick belamy

So unless belamy leaves and we need an older striker on the banch not a chance it would be pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Joke

The same thing we say to Martin O Neill.

**** off Owen. :D

Joke

No thanks would be the collective answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Absolutely fair enough.

The problem i have is that fans cannot have double standards, and if you dont, you must then expect the same ruthlessness in 12 months surely if it pans out the same?.

30 mil and call the next guy, and the next?.

When we were looking for new owners, pretty much everyone said they wanted owners who would back a manager and give him reasonable time, i dont consider 1 full season time with so many new bodies.

I think theyll give the next manager time no matter what. I dont think they ever seen Kenny as a long term appointment and i think if we are all honest i dont think we did either. It would have been great for Kenny to take us back to the top in a couple of years win a few leqgue titles and then walk off into the sunset but it was a pipe dream and i think it all dawned on us over the course of the season that it wasnt gonna work out that way. Whoever we pick next as .manager will be a risk keeping Kenny on wouldve been a risk too and with how we performed in the league this season itd be fair to say its not a risk worth taking.

Interesting read. I knew there was issues with Ronaldinho/Deco and they had a row with Eto'o after he refused to go on as sub one time, but this seems to imply there were even bigger rifts in the dressing room.

Seems they just thought Rijkaard's heart wasn't in it anymore?
    His "cycle" was over. This type of talk was rife when Pep announced he was stepping down too, and there has been talk of Rafa's intense approach burning out players after a few seasons. Begs to question what's so different about their approach to the likes of Ferguson or Wenger who've been operating at the top level at the same club for much longer periods, and how do we get that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement