Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you could but cant do in ireland anymore?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

gwhiz wrote: »
    dont ever go into a shop and ask for "black" bags, they are now called "refugee sacks"

Proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

appearantly in Dublin years ago people used the "N" word as a pet name for dogs or "Blackie". It wasn't meant with any racial slant

Watch the 1950's movie "The Dam Busters". One of the main characters has a dog called "******" and uses his name frequently throughout the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

Urge to kill rising, rising, RISING
    So essentially, you can't say 'black'? How about 'really, really, really, really dark blue'?

Bring back Golly Bars!!

Golly Bars..... what a blast from the past. I think they sell similar icecreams now but with a different name??
    and
    remember the Golly Wog dolls.... I had one when I was a kid.. seemingly they were not allowed to make them any more (too racist) and the old ones are quite collectible so if you have one in your attic, hold on to it !!
    and
    the Black & White Minstrel Show (really showing my age here)... everyones faces were painted black and their eyes and lips in white... this was banned too.... twas a load of rubbish anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Bricriu

Get the RA to deal with local drugdealing scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

get 10p back for glass bottles, the 80's were cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Bricriu wrote: »
    Get the RA to deal with local drugdealing scum.

They are too busy extorting them and selling the stuff themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I miss being able to call customer care/IT and not having to talk to someone in India on a broken line.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BuachaillAbroad

Rent your videos from the VHS rent van...anyone else have one of these?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No actually.
    But there weren't many sex criminals in the area I grew up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

Yeah we had a guy come around with vidoes to rent as well. I think he rented them from extra vision and copied them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

in stephens green last week .after i did my shopping i went to the green cos it was sunny.i had some heineken cans , milk and bread and sausages in a shopping bag. i was drinking a lucozade...3 wardens come over and order me to leave the park....for 'having alcohol in the park 'with possible intent to consume'...wtf!!!.....

i was fuming so much i went down to trinity and opened a can like about 30 people around me were and watched the cricket in peace lol

add this to smoking ban, no off licence sales after 10.30, clubs closing at 2.30, blasphemy rulings, and its verging on totalitarian dystopia...scary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

in stephens green last week .after i did my shopping i went to the green cos it was sunny.i had some heineken cans , milk and bread and sausages in a shopping bag. i was drinking a lucozade...3 wardens come over and order me to leave the park....for 'having alcohol in the park 'with possible intent to consume'...wtf!!!.....

i was fuming so much i went down to trinity and opened a can like about 30 people around me were and watched the cricket in peace lol

add this to smoking ban, no off licence sales after 10.30, clubs closing at 2.30, blasphemy rulings, and its verging on totalitarian dystopia...scary....
    If that's as scary as your totalitarian dystopia gets, I'm in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i spend a lot of time in berlin...so im used to being treated like a human :)

in stephens green last week .after i did my shopping i went to the green cos it was sunny.i had some heineken cans , milk and bread and sausages in a shopping bag. i was drinking a lucozade...3 wardens come over and order me to leave the park....for 'having alcohol in the park 'with possible intent to consume'...wtf!!!.........

You were worse to listen to them, I would have told them to go away and die of a disease!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Claim your rock band are going to be the next U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hear and read people using the phrase "PC" and actually knowing what it meant (i.e. fuk all to do with, for instance, walking a dog without a leash).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

Import something from abroad and sell it for four times the buying price though some still try :P

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

I miss being able to call customer care/IT and not having to talk to someone in India on a broken line.

Being able to call Eircom support and talk to a Computer Science student who didn't care and who's supervisor was a student in the same class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

bladespin wrote: »
    Import something from abroad and sell it for four times the buying price though some still try :P

lol when the psp 1st came out in ireland there was a shortage of sony 1gb memory cards, they cost over 120euro in the shop and i could get them for 35euro. sold them in the buyandsell. at the time most irish people were still afraid of ebay and online shopping. and after an order of 200euro worth never arrived i could see why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

1) Drink tap water without worrying if it has been polluted with cryptosporidium.
    2) Walk through a large town without seeing American fast food places like McDonalds or Subway.
    3) Walk anywhere without encountering a bunch of teenagers wearing hoodies as well as socks pulled up over their tracksuits.
    4) Go out for a walk and not have to listen to people shouting on mobile phones.
    5) Go out without locking the door and setting the alarm.
    6) Hear about something other than the recession on the RTE news.
    7) Not dislike Irish people in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

lol when the psp 1st came out in ireland there was a shortage of sony 1gb memory cards, they cost over 120euro in the shop and i could get them for 35euro. sold them in the buyandsell. at the time most irish people were still afraid of ebay and online shopping. and after an order of 200euro worth never arrived i could see why...

The PSP came out 4 years ago FFS! Get some proper nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quazzie wrote: »

Go to yur doctor and have him know you without checking it on a screen, and expect him to diagnose you from experience and not from an computer programme.

Believe me, the software doctors use doesn't give any clinical advice at all. Seeing as its banned for it to do so...

Even in my shorter life than some of those on here, its no longer possible to:

Go out and get drunk on 20 quid
    Go to the jacks in a pub and know you're not going to pay for anything unless you need johnnies
    Get phone credit on a scratchcard you could leave lying around the house for weeks knowing that nobody could use the code without opening the shrinkwrap AND scratching off the silver
    get 10p back for glass bottles, the 80's were cool

Irn Bru still comes in glass deposit/return bottles in Scotland, was in a newsagent when someone brought in some of them. Felt like I'd fallen through a time vortex...

....when I got out of my car in Scotland the previous night. That just added to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

order a feckin drink after 10

****in hate that

''Go out and get drunk on 20 quid''

6 for 7 - and then have a few in the nightclub with 3 euro deals much?

JPA wrote: »
    The PSP came out 4 years ago FFS! Get some proper nostalgia.

i can get a 4gb memory card for 6euro now. that makes it nostalgic

1)

things you could do before when you were not an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Does anybody rob clothes lines anymore? Haven't heard of it in years, i'm throwing that one into the ring.

joke about having a bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

At least you can't drive drunk and abuse children anymore.

There was actually a time when you could leave your house without worrying about having it broken into. Remembering such a time has nothing to do with being an idiot.

• Advertisement

you were just lucky to not have it robbed

leaving it open, in any time period, is being stupid in fairness

you were just lucky to not have it robbed

leaving it open, in any time period, is being stupid in fairness

...except in lots of areas of the country until a few years ago, you knew full well it *wasn't going to be* robbed. No "lucky" involved.

Back home you left the keys in your car to save time. They were never stolen. Again, no luck involved.

Let me guess, you're from Dublin?

im not a robber

but if i seen your down open or keys in yer car id say **** - the tit person deserves it

im not a robber

but if i seen your down open or keys in yer car id say **** - the <s>tit</s> person deserves it

You're not quite getting the point here.

In rural Ireland in the old days, there WAS NO THEFT. End of. Its only recently become a problem.

The only time you locked up at night was when you knew there were Dubs or Belfast people around. This was in the 1990s, not the 1930s. It sounds like a cliche, but there wasn't any crime till Sky arrived...

If you're in you still don't lock the front door in most rural areas. Would take the car keys out and lock it though.

no crime

give me a break - less of course but not none

im not a robber

but if i seen your down open or keys in yer car id say **** - the tit person deserves it

While it may be a stupid thing to do now it wasn't years ago. People didn't even consider their car would get robbed years ago because they wouldn't be. In twenty years time people will probably be considered idiots because they used to go out in public without a bullet proof vest.

I'm also not talking about leaving my front door open. When I say unlocked I'm talking about not having to get an industrial strength lock.

• Advertisement

anywhoo

doesnt matter - people did get robbed in rural ireland - not often but it happened
    making it ridiculously easy for robbers wasnt the smartest thing to do

anywhoo

doesnt matter - people did get robbed in rural ireland - not often but it happened
    making it ridiculously easy for robbers wasnt the smartest thing to do

Except they didn't. Quite clearly you're from a city.

Another few things (or variations of the one thing).
    1) Buy some items in a shop and get a free plastic bag.
    2) Buy some items in a shop and get a plastic bag for five cents.
    3) See plastic bags hanging from every single tree you walk past.

Number three makes number one not seem so bad. Five cents was more than enough to charge for a bag though.

Maybe someone else has mentioned bags but I haven't read everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Do ya remember when we used to get good stuff free with cereals?

Those top class refectors for the spokes of your BMX that you got in Cornflakes.

Them magic stickers that changed when you turned them in the light.

Best of all, once I saved up loads of tokens from Coco-Pops boxes and got myself a lifesize Coco-Monkey.
    Oh me and Coco used to go everywhere together, we had the best of times.

Anyone remember any other good cereal freebies?
    Nowadays the best you can hope for is a coupon for 20% off some shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i remember they used to actually give money away in the little sliver packets of certain tayto packets if you where to find one in it.

• Advertisement

they were sex ^

''double prizer''

Do ya remember when we used to get good stuff free with cereals?

Those top class refectors for the spokes of your BMX that you got in Cornflakes.

Them magic stickers that changed when you turned them in the light.

Best of all, once I saved up loads of tokens from Coco-Pops boxes and got myself a lifesize Coco-Monkey.
    Oh me and Coco used to go everywhere together, we had the best of times.

Anyone remember any other good cereal freebies?
    Nowadays the best you can hope for is a coupon for 20% off some shampoo.

i have a biscuit tin full of unopened breakfast cereal items from 12-14yrs ago.

remember pogs? and top trumps? most people have forgotten pogs i think, found some in the attack yday.

i have a biscuit tin full of unopened breakfast cereal items from 12-14yrs ago.

remember pogs? and top trumps? most people have forgotten pogs i think, found some in the attack yday.

you dont forget pogs - they were the **** along with yo-yo's and 90's rap

We would still leave the door open during the day at home. We would often be gone for hours or even the full day, sometimes its locked more often than not its not. We usually lock it before going to bed at night. We also leave the keys in the cars all the time when the cars are at home. We dont have an alarm and I dont know anybody living anywhere near me that has an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Eat a Dan Bar.

They're out of production now :(

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    Eat a Dan Bar.

They're out of production now :(

im sure you can still get them. i had some a couple of yrs ago.

http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/desperate_dan_bars.html

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

1) Beat the sh1t out of a child in an institution.

2) Starve to death coz theres no spuds.

3) Bring shame on your family by getting pregnant before you got married.

4) Vote FF with a clear conscience.

5) Feel guilty for just about everything

I find it strange that it's considered idiotic to be reminiscent of a time when you didn't have to lock your front door but it's alright to be all nostalgic about a time when everyone could drink as much as they wanted and drive home. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I find it strange that it's considered idiotic to be reminiscent of a time when you didn't have to lock your front door but it's alright to be all nostalgic about a time when everyone could drink as much as they wanted and drive home. :confused:
    I don't think a lot of people of people find it very nostalgic, only the idiots that used to do/still do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

A. Buy a six pack of those scutty little bottles of Harp

B. Take said six pack into a cheap music festival in Lisdoonvarna.

• Advertisement
Advertisement