Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leave your mobile phone at home

• 10-06-2009 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I got to work this morning and realised I'd left my phone at home. My initial reaction was 'Bollix' - but then after thinking about it, I felt a great sense of freedom!

Nobody can ring or text me today, *bothering me - "Where r u?"........."What u up 2?" all that jazz. - I could go anywhere, do anything, and be un-reachable, which is something we're not used to anymore..

So go on, switch your phone off, or leave it at home the next time you're going out for the day. You will be able to survive without it, people were doing it for thousands of years!

*not that anyone ever does get in touch :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're going to break down on the drive home, on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

bit harsh - but ye we need phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

bit harsh - but ye we need phones

gone where the days of memorising peoples numbers :rolleyes:
    you dont need a phone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

posted at 8.48.

starts to regret post at 9.08.

starts to think, " wonder how many messages i have" at 9.18.

breaks into a cold sweat at 9.28.

goes home sick at 9.38 to realise that nobody has text him and couldnt give a sh*t either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

funny thing is , Ten years ago you could arrange to me someone in a pub anywhere in the country in 2 months time , and he/she would be there , no phone needed .
    Now ppl need phones to tell them the time ,. reminders that the agreeded to meet ppl in a hour. I regularly forget my phone , those days are the nice and quiet.

then again I am using the internet so phone isnt really that important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Replied, via txt*. Now you'll just have to wait and wonder.

*I lied. I didn't text a reply because I too left my portable telephone at home :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

If you want to check your messages, dial your number but put a 5 after the 08x part...
    so say your number was 086 123 4567 you dial 086 5 123 4567. Enter your pin et voila.

Note: pranksters and jealous/paranoid spouses can also use this trick to their advantage (changing message minder, etc.). The default pin number is 0000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

If you want to check your messages, dial your number but put a 5 after the 08x part...
    so say your number was 086 123 4567 you dial 086 5 123 4567. Enter your pin et voila.

Note: pranksters can also use this trick to their advantage (changing message minder, etc.). The default pin number is 0000.

Ah, that old trick! We used to have great fun with that one back when mobiles were the new phenomenon. Some people wouldn't realise that their outgoing message was changed for months.

Good Times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm just amazed at people grocery market shopping with their mobiles out, chatting about sale items and whether they have a competitive price, while their phone bill continues to run up.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

I'm just amazed at people grocery market shopping with their mobiles out, chatting about sale items and whether they have a competitive price, while their phone bill continues to run up.:rolleyes:

I've unlimited calls and texts to other people on the same network. I can talk for hours wandering around a shop and not be running up my bill..... if I was so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I didn't have a phone for a week not so long ago. Didn't bother me in the slightest. Well, after the first couple of days of withdrawal it didn't!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Find it annoying when people leave their mobile phone at the same place in their house. not very mobile, I say....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, what are you going to do on your toilet break?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I got to work this morning and realised I'd left my phone at home. My initial reaction was 'Bollix' - but then after thinking about it, I felt a great sense of freedom!

Nobody can ring or text me today, *bothering me - "Where r u?"........."What u up 2?" all that jazz. - I could go anywhere, do anything, and be un-reachable, which is something we're not used to anymore..

So go on, switch your phone off, or leave it at home the next time you're going out for the day. You will be able to survive without it, people were doing it for thousands of years!

*not that anyone ever does get in touch :(

I just fainted....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

antodeco wrote: »
    OP, what are you going to do on your toilet break?

write graffiti in hyrogliffics with shít on the cubilce wall...

- Drav!

I couldn't survive the day without the phone. I don't even leave it on my desk even if I'm only going somewhere for 5 mins it goes in the pocket.

One of the reasons for this is I hate when I ring people and they don't answer as they are not keeping an eye on their phone/leave it in another room. Also if I get a call of a private number and miss it I will be wondering who it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Also if I get a call of a private number and miss it I will be wondering who it was.

Their fault for leaving it set as private number, if they don't give me the opportunity to call'em back, it's not my problem that i've missed the call in the first place.

Don't understand why people would do that anyway, most of the people that'd have my number, I'd have there's anyway.

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Their fault for leaving it set as private number, if they don't give me the opportunity to call'em back, it's not my problem that i've missed the call in the first place.

Don't understand why people would do that anyway, most of the people that'd have my number, I'd have there's anyway.

- Drav!

I try not to answer private numbers. If it's important, they'll ring back, then I'll contemplate answering it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And another thread descends into the private number debate.....

Baldie wrote: »
    I try not to answer private numbers. If it's important, they'll ring back, then I'll contemplate answering it...

From my experience the work(office) phones of people I know are on private which they cannot change or people who ring from bigger offices a number comes up that isn't necessarily their number. This also goes for places that may be calling like your car insurance company etc.

I will answer a private number because If I don't I will keep wondering who it was until I find out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

When I'm at home, I turn mine off completely.
    Those calls that are important me - my home number is known by only serious people.
    If the phone rings at home it's either for 'er or its work for me.

Best thing I ever do is turn it off at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I always "forget" to bring my phone - and that usually results in people thinking that I ignore them.

I just hate being contactable 24-7 its good to leave the tracker at home every once and awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i was only talking to a mate of mine about this 2 weeks ago, i was going out in Dublin and i left my phone at the house i was staying in by mistake.. ended up loosing everyone haha..
    its amazing how we lived our entire lives without mobiles and we survived just fine... you could meet someone on tueday.. say "meet ya for a pint on saturday in such a pub" and low and behold you both showed up... nowadays you call someone on saturday morning.. "pint tonight?" then about 6pm "howiya, im in town getting some shopping... we still on for tonight?" 8pm.. "on the way.. see ya there.." the 8.30pm "just at the bank machine.. be in in a minute"

haha were pathetic...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

T-K-O wrote: »

I just hate being contactable 24-7 its good to leave the tracker at home every once and awhile.

"I dont know what a tracker mortgage is"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

antodeco wrote: »
    "I dont know what a tracker mortgage is"

Do you know what a FAIL is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

One of the reasons for this is I hate when I ring people and they don't answer as they are not keeping an eye on their phone/leave it in another room.

Perhaps the other person is working, at a meeting, playing football or whatever.

Life is too short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

.......- I could go anywhere, do anything, and be un-reachable, which is something we're not used to anymore..

But, what do you do......you come on the internet instead.......I think that's called dependance transferance...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

But, what do you do......you come on the internet instead.......I think that's called dependance transferance...:D

It's called boredom at work actually!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's called boredom at work actually!! :pac:
    No, that's why I'm here...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

A few years ago I would've agreed with the OP but since I got an iPhone, work is bliss. I can surf the blocked websites on 3G, check my facebook/emails on the crapper and play games like peggle when I'm not concentrating very hard. I have an IM app too that I can use on the sly to talk to facebook, gmail and msn contacts at once. I haven't forgot it but the battery ran out at 2pm yesterday and was severely missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I leave my phone off a lot of the time. Anything really urgent and they can leave a message, or ring me on the land line. Just cos I own a mobile doesn't mean I have to be at other people's beck and call every minute of the day.

Although, in saying that, my phone battery died last night and my charger is broken and I actually needed the phone today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 doberman12

very good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL There is going to be a lot of people screwed if we ever get effected by an electromagnetic (E.M.P.*) device.
    Folks relying on electrical/battery powered electronic devices will be up the creek!
    Without their phone games/texts and endless prattle, they won't know what to do with themselves!

They might have to actually go out and socially interact more - image - the horror!!! :eek:

:pac:

* ElectroMagnetic Pulse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Biggins wrote: »
    LOL There is going to be a lot of people screwed if we ever get effected by an electromagnetic (E.M.P.*) device.
    Folks relying on electrical/battery powered electronic devices will be up the creek!
    Without their phone games/texts and endless prattle, they won't know what to do with themselves!

They might have to actually go out and socially interact more - image - the horror!!! :eek:

* ElectroMagnetic Pulse
    I read an article in New Scientist about how if there is an electromagnetic storm, it'll be more than mobiles that are effected (electricity etc) and that it could be really serious for countries that are heavily technology dependent.

Biggins wrote: »

* ElectroMagnetic Pulse

I keep a Faraday cage at hand for just such an event*

*I dont really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I didn't have my phone for about 3 weeks when it got taking off me in school, I got on okay, mind you it is good to have incase you break down or crash etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Havent had a mobile in 2 years now this month. They arent needed for shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Don't leave your phone at home ever, bring it with you to the toilet, when you go shopping, in the pub and allways keep it on.

Think about all those calls and txt's that you'll miss. Your friends will think you're a bollix for not answering as well.

This post is brought to you by Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Having got through four phones in teh last 12 months, I decided on the untimely demise of my last one not to replace it.

I've a landline, an answering machine, and now I've unlimited freedom from being interrupted and having my personal space breached by unwelcome texts and pointless calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Baldie wrote: »

First of all, good going on your 1000 post attempt thus far. You start from around 853 right?

OT: Pretty much every single person who has said to me "I don't answer private numbers" has answered the phone when I rang from a private number. I think it's just the "cool" thing" to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

completely off topic but!

"and all that jazz" .. your the first person besides me to ever use that phrase in real life

congrats and yay ..
    how long you been using it?

to be honest right.. i thought i made it up!!

but yeah
    i have a nokia n95 and im ALWAYS using it so i never forget it ..but it sucks when the battery dies.. iv considering getting a second battery ..but that would be blooody mental

i think in the last like 8 years of having a phone iv only ever forgotten it twice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Note: pranksters and jealous/paranoid spouses can also use this trick to their advantage (changing message minder, etc.). The default pin number is 0000.

We did it to a mates for a laugh years ago.
    Because he worked in a hospital he wouldn't have the phone on and it went straight to his message minder.

"Hi...welcome to gay chat..
    If you like to talk dirty press 1
    If you like oral press 2
    If you like anal call me on this number"

He never copped it for a few days until his parents invited him up for dinner and asked him gently was there anything he wanted to tell him...:D

absolutely pricess :)

i think in the last like 8 years of having a phone iv only ever forgotten it twice..

I have had phones for about 8 or 9 years too but cant remember back that far, but in say the last 4 or 5 years I dont think I have been outside ringing distance of my phone for any more than a few minutes except if the phone died or on a flight. I never ever turn it off either night or day. Sometimes I even position it in a spot I can keep an eye on it when Im in the shower :eek:!!

okay..wow

im not actually THAT bad man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i very rarely turn off my phone, but i dont always answer it.

i do think some people are way too contactable though, and can take it too far -

eg:

i remember once a few years i rang my boss on her mobile

she answered and said "sam34, i'm on the loo, can i ring you back in a minute?" :eek::eek::eek: "please do", i said!

now, seriously, WTF?!

my number came up, she'd have known it was me, she could have called me back when she was free. or, if she really wanted to answer, she could have said "im busy, i'll call you back" . no need for the details.

i used to do that man

my mates said it was rude..but i never listened until someone did it to me.. and then i understood

but its kinda funny to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My phone hasn't worked properly in over six months. It sometimes takes hours to recieve text messages and phone calls are completely out altogether. I was expecting a woooosh of relief as I'm now (for all intents and purposes) free from this tiny electronic shackle but instead I just have a shitty broken phone. So much for being liberated...

Advertisement