Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat hair

Options
  • 26-02-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have a three year old female cat who is really fluffy with long hair and for some reason its starting to get matted. I brush her everyday but i still keep finding more matted hair especially around her neck, could it be her collar causing it to get matted?

Last night i noticed along her belly some of the hair is matted but its so close to her belly there is no way i can change cutting it incase i cut her by accident.

Is there anything i can do about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

a constant problem with long haired cats.

I used to panic and try to cut it off; it can be done if a cat is placid as mine are, with a comb bewteen matts and skin; so utterly careful though.

I read all the internet advice:) Scared me some of it.

Then i got flu and could not tackle it.

When I next tried, the cats had dealt with it themselves; no more matts.

Frequent grooming is the prevention of course. every day a few minutes.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

You could for this instance bring her to the vet to get groomed.

My fluffy girl will get a few mats throughout the year no matter how much we brush her daily. When it gets too bad and I cannot manage it, I just bring her down to the vets and get the vet nurse to groom her for me.

I think the whole grooming process thins out the volume of hair that she has and makes it more managable. We have only ever had to bring her once a year for this.

For the nurse she is a little sweetheart - model of a cat. When we try to tease the mats out at home she goes bit wild - growling spitting etc..

Advertisement