Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter Season 8 Episode 12 - Remember The Monsters? [SPOILERS]

• 23-09-2013 7:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Finally it's over and nearly on a par with the crap ending to Lost.
    Wondered why I even bothered getting up early to watch it :confused:
    But at least it's over and I can get onto watching Breaking Bad etc and other shows..or is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So what happened then. Not bothered to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Basics-
    Deb dies, Hannah+Harrison leave for Argentina, Dex kills Saxon and then rides his boat right into the hurricane:rolleyes:
    Cuts to the end and he's alive working a a truck haulier for a lumber yard somewhere

Sounds ****e. Did he not spend the last four season worried about
    his son's safety and what getting caught could mean for his family etc. And now he's happy enough to ship him to Argentina. Anything happen with that Federal Marshall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sigh.

Not an awful final episode (I've seen worse). The burial at sea was pretty moving. They should have cut to credits after Hannah and Harrison's last scene - it would have been a better ending. The last scene made a joke of the whole thing.

Agreed...I was hoping Bastista would turn on Dexter in the interrogation room and you could see he knew something was wrong..or else he was thinking to himself while acting the scene "this is awful shíte"

The last scene I was expecting..always set up for return for Dexter if Michael's acting work dries up.

• Advertisement

Did anything come out of Masuka's daughter story line? Or was it literally the most pointless thing on TV ever.

Did anything come out of Masuka's daughter story line? Or was it literally the most pointless thing on TV ever.

oh yeah..never noticed that..she wasn't even in the last episode once.

Blazer wrote: »
    oh yeah..never noticed that..she wasn't even in the last episode once.

O good, a well thought out neat sub plot that added nicely to the overall story.

She wasn't pointless....it lead to tittays of course!!! lol that subplot was like something a Junior Cert student would come up with and fail the exam. It beggars belief how these "writers" (I use the term loosely) got work. I knew it was fcuking **** after that episode in S6 with the mural on the wall.

Oh and the final scene was just pleading for a "tonight's the night" voiceover but they even fcuked that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not sure how I feel about that. Actually I do. They ruined the legacy of a once great show. Bah.

Deb basically "dying" off screen was a bit of a f*ck you to her character. Yes, the bit on the slice of life was moving but it's not the same.

Only one person ended up knowing Dexter's secret and living.....and she wasn't even an original character.

I'm disappointed. This.....should have ended differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Seriously? That was the best they could come up with?

Felt like any old episode rather than a last ever (until someone needs more money).

I could have accepted that ending had Dexter been exposed and on the run, instead of just packing up and moving.

So, so bad.

For me, the X-Files ends at season seven. Dexter now ends at season four in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Season 5 and 7 are still decent tv in my eyes. They have redeeming qualities and a few episodes that gripped you. 6 and 8 are a total waste of time....especially 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Was their even any relevance to where he ended up in the end. Most pointless ending ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Kirby wrote: »
    Season 5 and 7 are still decent tv in my eyes. They have redeeming qualities and a few episodes that gripped you. 6 and 8 are a total waste of time....especially 8.

Season 5 gets an unfair thrashing I think. Had it not followed up on season 4 I think people would be kinder to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Jesus.
    That's the first time in my life I've actually cringed, been bored sh*tless and pretty much totally apathetic simultaneously. I didn't even know that was possible.

Looking forward to seeing if Clyde Phillips posts his ending on Reddit; I'll just accept whatever he says. Anything would be better.

There's no sense pointing out everything that's wrong with it, it'd be literally play-by-play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Didn't he have a revelation that he no longer needed to kill, so in truth he could start fresh in Arg******?
    OK, Deb died, and it crushed him. But does that give him more motive to keep what family he has left?
    It's like the writers thought it too corny to give Dexter some form of hopeful ending, so put him on a lumberyard.
    Seriously, what an ill-fitting cliche.

Wasn't the worst episode of the season, maybe even a more dignified ending than expected given recent gems like "owwwie, ouch ouch ouch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing if Clyde Phillips posts his ending on Reddit; I'll just accept whatever he says. Anything would be better.

Two words would have improved the entire episode

"Surprise Muthaf*cka"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

watching this in work on a tiny screen in the background ... couldn't give a ****e ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Jesus.
    That's the first time in my life I've actually cringed, been bored sh*tless and pretty much totally apathetic simultaneously. I didn't even know that was possible.

There's no sense pointing out everything that's wrong with it, it'd be literally play-by-play.

Dexter on death row. http://uk.eonline.com/news/461558/chills-former-dexter-producer-clyde-phillips-reveals-how-he-planned-to-end-the-series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Clyde Phillips' ending would have been better for sure.

I actually lol-ed at grumpy Dexter the lumberjack. The entire thing from the point where he pulls the plug on Deb is utterly unbelievable to the point of farce. I'm not even bothered pointing out the string of plot holes and inconsistencies.

Dexter cements his position as world's worst parent by dumping his kid on a fugitive murderess that he has only known for a few months.

Just...no... I'm going to enjoy a cathartic delete of all eight seasons from my hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

The lumberjack thing is a pile of me hole. However someone commented on the FB page saying the following (which makes the ending sound rather smart, I must say)

"Dexter planned to kill himself. Anyone who thinks they can survive going headfirst into a tornado is an eejit. In a twisted miracle (one of those things Dexter admits he doesn't believe in, in this episode) the Dark Passenger's survival instincts keep the shell of Dexter alive. The Dark Passenger has become the Driver and lives on. That's why the final scene has no narration. There is no human there to narrate."

Still, if that was the message, it just didn't translate. I found my mind wandering lots of times during the episode. Whereas, I would have been absolutely glued to every episode before this awful episode.

I am still not over the fact that season 7 was effectively a waste of time, because none of those plot lines were brought into season 8. They made an absolute dogs arse of the show and I feel like i've watched it all for nothing. :(

If they're going ahead with a spinoff then make it about Issak Sirko. He was the only remotely interesting character introduced in the past few seasons that I'd watch a whole series about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

snausages wrote: »
    If they're going ahead with a spinoff then make it about Issak Sirko. He was the only remotely interesting character introduced in the past few seasons that I'd watch a whole series about.

Didn't he die last season? It'd have to be a prequel, which could work.

Please please not the Dr Vogel show- a different psychopath every week.

Or worse the Masuka and Mini-Masuka comedy double act.

A Batista detective show? Or Hannah and Harrison's adventures in 'that place'?

I can't imagine watching any of it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

watched breaking bad then i thought "better get dexter over with now" but i actually couldnt be arsed, i had read the leak somewhere a week or two ago and it was right, so no need to put myself through this absolute arse hound of a show anymore.

Did Deb tell Batista and Matthews not to ring Dexter because he was leaving with Hannah (the wanted fugitive)? And they just didn't give a damn? Amazingly poor stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My favorite part was when Dexter rolls a body out of the hospital and carries it into a boat without anyone batting an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rosy Posy wrote: »

Just...no... I'm going to enjoy a cathartic delete of all eight seasons from my hard drive.

Dont delete all eight, just delete season 8. Don't let the wank3rs who ruined the ending ruin the whole show for you. Pretend it got axed at Season 7. Deb shoots La Guerta - the end.

Not watched it yet, but its been compared to the ending of lost so not sure if I even will. Its being slated on Twitter. How did they get it so wrong? Dexter - similar to the HSE. If someone you care about dies, there is no one person to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

syklops wrote: »
    Dont delete all eight, just delete season 8. Don't let the wank3rs who ruined the ending ruin the whole show for you. Pretend it got axed at Season 7. Deb shoots La Guerta - the end.

Not watched it yet, but its been compared to the ending of lost so not sure if I even will. Its being slated on Twitter. How did they get it so wrong? Dexter - similar to the HSE. If someone you care about dies, there is no one person to blame.

And 5 and 6. May as we'll scrap 7 while you're at it.

Realistically, there are only two options. Seasons one and two, or seasons one to four. Just forget everything after that. A few good pieces don't make the suffering worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Realistically, there are only two options. Seasons one and two, or seasons one to four. Just forget everything after that. A few good pieces don't make the suffering worthwhile.

Just doing season one and two misses out Trinity, which is some of the best stuff.

• Advertisement

It ended with Trinity. I don't know what that crap for the last four years was. I've had it with tv shows. Unless it's something fantastic like BrBa then I'm not bothering. Most stuff either gets cancelled for being rubbish after the first season or if it's decent they prolong it forever and the quality goes downhill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

La la la la la not reading anything in here yet but just about to sit down to this and really looking forward to it finally being over, it's really been tough getting through the last few seasons of much we've been getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

So they all think Dexter died.

But no-one thinks to look for Harrison? The headline in the newspaper made no mention of him that I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Mr E wrote: »
    Sigh.

Not an awful final episode (I've seen worse). The burial at sea was pretty moving. They should have cut to credits after Hannah and Harrison's last scene - it would have been a better ending. The last scene made a joke of the whole thing.

Yea. wtf was that about

Exactly 30 mins in and its the worst episode I think I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

It actually pains me that this show ended so poorly. Deserved much better. Contrary to popular opinion, I thought the show was still good and worth watching until the final season started. Season 8 has been an utter shambles though

• Advertisement

It's actually just laughable all the plot holes. So annoyed.

**** OFF. Just **** off with that ****. **** sake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh.

Well, it was always the ending I suspected might happen, given how the writers practically fell over themselves to paint Dexter as the misunderstood anti-hero, jettisoning what remained of basic logic and credibility the show had to attain that goal. I tended to presume we'd end with Dexter sacrificing himself somehow. It's the standard narrative for anti-heroes: you can't reward their darkness, so the default option is to allow them to go out with a noble death, a blaze of glory that saves others more deserving of life. Yet even the rank amateurs that make up the Dexter writing staff couldn't achieve that simple goal: instead we got that pointless, contradictory coda that undid what was already a fairly muddled decision by Dexter to kill himself. That Harrison is just forgotten by everyone in Miami, and is now cared for by a known killer hardly seems like a happy ending either.

But hey, we're here and the show's done. About 3/4 seasons too late but there you are. Doubtless this forum will die a death in the coming months as we try to forget this substandard show & move on with our TV lives. In the end the last episode ever was almost a textbook case of the redundant, anti-climatic finale; an ending so without worthiness it basically insults its own mythology. But then it had become so enamoured with its own main character, it's not that surprising that the supporting cast got short shrift (oh, Dexter killed a suspect in custody; no biggie, it was self-defence. Bye Dex!) I suppose I might have felt more about Deb dying but considering her last words to Dexter included how he 'deserved happiness', I just got angry rather than sad. It was all so contrived it was simply obnoxious in the extreme.

In many ways, the 'Masuka's daughter' plotline kinda summed up the season as a whole really: completely pointless, dreadfully plotted, contradicted established characters, it went absolutely nowhere and ultimately nobody cared that it all came to nothing.

Hannah on hearing the love of her life is dead.

"Want some ice-cream Harrison"

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

That was god awful. Seriously, probably the worst TV finale I've ever witnessed.

It's ironic, Michael C Hall starred in Six Feet Under which had one of the best finales of all and now he's earned the accolade of being in one of the worst.

At least this made me lol hard.

Showtime are posting this on their twitter: https://twitter.com/SHO_Dexter/status/382145723623411712/photo/1

BU2ngsXCYAE2Y27.png

'Survive' is an apt word I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

pixelburp wrote: »
    In many ways, the 'Masuka's daughter' plotline kinda summed up the season as a whole really: completely pointless, dreadfully plotted, contradicted established characters, it went absolutely nowhere and ultimately nobody cared that it all came to nothing.

I just realised neither of them even featured in the episode at all. WTF were the writers doing, dedicating screen time to a plot line that went literally nowhere? Jesus, the whole season was a train wreck.

We all waited for the day when Miami Metro would find out who Dexter really was... that day never came. Greatest cop out in TV history to have him turn up in a lumber yard somewhere. Not to mention his kid is running around Argen-fuk-ingtina with a serial killer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FearDark wrote: »
    We all waited for the day when Miami Metro would find out who Dexter really was... that day never came. Greatest cop out in TV history to have him turn up in a lumber yard somewhere. Not to mention his kid is running around Argen-fuk-ingtina with a serial killer.

At some point somebody, somewhere in Showtime panicked and mistook 'popularity' for 'love'. They made the critical error in judgement that the reason we watched Dexter was because we loved its main character and wanted him to triumph over adversity. Which, of course, we don't - how could you possibly love a monster & sociopath? It was a brave decision to have a cold-hearted murderer as your lead in the first place, but what we loved (imo) was the vicarious thrill of watching a monster hide in plain sight and live a lie, with the caveat of only killing criminals a sop to our collective morality; had he habitually killed innocents, the series would have lasted precisely one season.

Ultimately though, what the audience craved was punishment for his acts and we tuned in to see just how long Dexter could keep running from justice. We didn't want to see redemption, and we certainly didn't want to see him be cured with the love of an interchangeable blonde, but this is what happened because an executive mistook Dexter for a conventional show where its lead can only ever be heroic and must be allowed live beyond the final Fade to Black. They overestimated how critical the 'vigilante' aspect was to the character, and the shows blossoming popularity made somebody panic; the moment the show was retrofitted to make Dexter the hero at all costs, despite the obvious demand for narrative retribution, that's when it all fell apart. The first to suffer from this colossal misstep was only ever going to be Miami Metro, arguably the most important component in the show had things been allowed to run their natural course (going by Clyde Phillips' comments about the original proposed ending).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's a lot of "we" in that post. Are you the official spokesperson for the Dexter fan club?

There's a lot of "we" in that post. Are you the official spokesperson for the Dexter fan club?
    Huh? Ok, replace 'we' with 'the audience'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Fairly disappointing ending to the show. Miami Metro finally catches a serial killer and he dies in captivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

How oh how did it end up going from the dark defender to the grizzly lumber jack :confused:

Total and utter tripe, but like Dexter, I only have myself to blame. I can't believe I actually sat through the final series expecting anything remotely good to come from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement