Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

e39 525i mpg on motorway

• 23-08-2014 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

Was cruising from dublin to cork on motorway just below 130kph or about 80mph and reset the mpg display. Drove 30 miles at constant speed to allow the read out to adjust it settled at 42.7 mpg and remained at that.

This surprised me as its a auto

my average duing the week is 30.7 mostly M50
    + short trips to shops.

I know the 6 pot is a good engine but that mpg is very good in my books. Maybe a little to good.
    I know every will say do brim tank drive and brim again and do the maths. But I think the mpg read out (avarage mpg) is close enough

is this typical or am I fooling myself

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

visual wrote: »
    Was cruising from dublin to cork on motorway just below 130kph or about 80mph and reset the mpg display. Drove 30 miles at constant speed to allow the read out to adjust it settled at 42.7 mpg and remained at that.

This surprised me as its a auto

my average duing the week is 30.7 mostly M50
    + short trips to shops.

I know the 6 pot is a good engine but that mpg is very good in my books. Maybe a little to good.
    I know every will say do brim tank drive and brim again and do the maths. But I think the mpg read out (avarage mpg) is close enough

is this typical or am I fooling myself

brim tank drive and brim again and do the maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Sounds like a tail-wind positively affected the economy. Also the fuel computer might not be accurate. I did a spin to Kerry in a 523i at that speed and averaged 33 mpg before and remembered thinking it was quite good for a 2.5

Driving with a tail wind can really help economy- I drove my laden Skoda Superb between Westport and Galway yesterday and averaged 3.9 litres per 100 km = 73 mpg. In real life I'd average 20 mpg less than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

The auto cruises at lower revs afaik in the beemers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Revs was at 2500 at 130kph so its Bearley breaking a sweat cruising along
    car 2 up with boot packed with luggage so think that would negate unnoticeable tail wind

Not suggesting that the car is ultra efficient in everyday use. But it does seem efficient on motorways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You have the M54, the M52 which was in my 728i was 300cc bigger and did about 35-36MPG at 120kph.

I'd well believe an E39 525 could get 40MPG+.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

You have the M54, the M52 which was in my 728i was 300cc bigger and did about 35-36MPG at 120kph.

I'd well believe an E39 525 could get 40MPG+.

34.5 MPG here, M54B22, automatic, air con on constantly, two people onboard, cruise control set at 120kph.
    Faulty thermostat and MAF sensor :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Your faulty thermostat alone would ruin your MPG. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Factory figures are 35mpg motorway so I doubt you're getting 40+ @ 80mph.

I'm in a 520 (2.2) and get about 30mpg @ 80mph. Being a 2.5 it wouldn't have to work as hard so you could be getting 32/33mpg.

Interestingly when I had the 735 the motorway consumption was the same as the 520 (bigger engine and more weight but revving lower). Urban consump on the other hand......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I get 36 motorway at 120 kmph. 2004 e39 525 automatic. Happy enough with that. Checked it loads of times on the brim test, doesn't vary at all really. 25 in urban mixed driving conditions.

Return trip same 42 mpg so can discount tail wind.

In my opinion the SE 525I (M54) auto easily returns over 40 mpg cruise control set at 80mph
    steady driving on motorway.

Did drop below 36mpg on B roads and now I'm back in Dublin will be returning to my usual 30.7 mpg daily commute to work.

The advice I got when buying was the 525i was the better engine compaired to 523 more powerful and apparently better mpg when cruising at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I wouldn't always trust the display OP, not until you can verify it by doing the maths.

My 2.0 TDI tells me that I'm getting 50mpg daily even as high as 61.4mpg on a few occasions, done the maths myself to check and it was closer to 45mpg!!!

My driving is about 70% motorway, 20% country road, 10% city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had a 523i E39 and best I could get was 33/34 mpg calculating by brimming tank and re-filling, etc. If you are getting this you are doing very very well. Mine was a manual aswell with no cruise control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

you cant believe the onboard mpg on E39's my one tells me im getting 45mpg on my e39 525d estate auto , in reality its more like 35-37mpg

do the maths or download a phone app that doies it for you . i use "FUELLOG" on android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I could see how you could get that in that car at 100kmph, but at 130?!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I could see how you could get that in that car at 100kmph, but at 130?!

Revs are at 2500 @ 130kph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The MPG readings on my e46 tend to be off, but not by a huge amount. That being said, I'm delighted with 25mpg out of my 325ci!!

The MPG readings on my e46 tend to be off, but not by a huge amount. That being said, I'm delighted with 25mpg out of my 325ci!!

That fine for avg mileage but what do you get when cruising on motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

visual wrote: »
    That fine for avg mileage but what do you get when cruising on motorway

Just looked up a photo I took of mine from a trip to Cork and it says 37.6...not too sure on the details of that one though, as in, how many miles that was over. I'm pretty certain that was me sitting at 110km/h most of the way and nursing it. Not terribly far off you to be honest...forgot I even had that picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

My car E46 323ci is doing 33mpg, mixed driving. If I don't have my lead shoes in she does well with the fuel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

My 528i used to do 36mpg motorway at 120kph.Back then bmw s were very good petol engines my 525tds would have a hard time to get 40mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

My sons now departed E46 320ci regularly gave him over 42mpg on dublin > Fermoy > Dublin

Now has an E60 20d and finds it hard to break 41mpg at same speed on same run.

sounds odd. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Yesterday tested my 730i on motorway between Shannon and Gort computer said I was getting 39 mpg at 84mph (shade under 140 kmph) over 30 miles or so, same on way back. Quite impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement