Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Yeah I got back onto him, he said def a 2016 and 2018 game
    The GAA have already announced that the next games are 2017 and 2019.

I wouldn't be turning to your mate for any more exclusives! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

How far in advance of the fixture will the teams playing be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Fml!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KnightLight

How far in advance of the fixture will the teams playing be announced?

Some teams have non-conf games already schedule for 2022, 2023 and so on...as these few dates get gobbled up.

I think teams have to be announced at least 18 months in advance (earlier the better) as it would help attract more fans to come to Ireland plus help work out the logistics for the game (passports for all players, etc...), all while trying to fit in their non-conf schedule strategy (more and more teams don't even want to play true road games, ala Penn State, Alabama, etc...but one neutral site game is ok).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Well Bill O'Brien confirmed that Penn State were working on a game in Ireland in February 2013, which is 17/18 months before the game took place. You can imagine discussions/preliminary talks took place in the months leading up to him confirming it, so I'd say teams will be talking about it next year and we should get an announcement or some official-speak before the 2016 season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

UCF/Penn State game drew the largest crowd ever for an American College Football Game in Ireland (53,304), which is I think an International Attendance record for any college game played outside the USA.

They got a bigger attendance only due to the stadium sizes. Landowne Road(Aviva) only hold 49,000 for the American Football setup. I feel had Notre Dame played Navy in Croke Park there would have been a bigger crowd than Penn State and UCF.

Notre Dame/Navy organisers made the sensible choice choosing Landowne Road(Aviva) as they didn't want 20,000+ empty seats. Also they didn't have to give away or reduce prices on their tickets like the recent game to get people to attend.

All in All the GAA need to attract bigger college matchup to Dublin and do a better job selling it to regular Joe. And I say that with no disrespect to Penn State or UCF in particular.

TO. wrote: »
    They got a bigger attendance only due to the stadium sizes. Landowne Road(Aviva) only hold 49,000 for the American Football setup. I feel had Notre Dame played Navy in Croke Park there would have been a bigger crowd than Penn State and UCF.

Notre Dame/Navy organisers made the sensible choice choosing Landowne Road(Aviva) as they didn't want 20,000+ empty seats. Also they didn't have to give away or reduce prices on their tickets like the recent game to get people to attend.

All in All the GAA need to attract bigger college matchup to Dublin and do a better job selling it to regular Joe. And I say that with no disrespect to Penn State or UCF in particular.

Maybe...but Notre Dame had played at Croke Park in the past...(drew 38,651 for their game vs Navy in the late 90's).

Regular-Season Games Played in Ireland
    1988 – Boston College 38, Army 24 – Dublin – Attendance: 45,525
    1989 – Pittsburgh 46, Rutgers 29 – Dublin – Attendance: 19,800
    1991 – Holy Cross 24, Fordham 19 – Limerick – Attendance: 17,411
    1992 – Bowdoin 7, Tufts 6 – Galway – Attendance: 2,500
    1996 – Notre Dame 54, Navy 27 – Dublin – Attendance: 38,651
    2012 – John Carroll 40, St. Norbert 3 – Dublin – Attendance: 4,877
    2012 – Notre Dame 50, Navy 10 – Dublin – Attendance: 48,820
    2014 - Penn State 26, UCF 24 - Dublin - Attendance: 53,304

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Maybe...but Notre Dame had played at Croke Park in the past...(drew 38,651 for their game vs Navy in the late 90's).

The game is Europe has come a long way since 1996 especially in Ireland. Comparing the mid 90's to 2014 is pointless in this argument as the lack of media in Ireland showing the game and barely any internet connections meant that most interested in the game fell on it through passing interest of through family. Nowadays the media has converted a lot of people due to the access people have now. In fact the attendance they drew back was impressive compared to todays attendances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Can't remember the 1996 game for the life of me, was that in Lansdowne? was Mirer playing that day? I was one of the 4877 at Donnybrook but would have thought the crowd was less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Was at the '89 Pittsburgh game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Can't remember the 1996 game for the life of me, was that in Lansdowne? was Mirer playing that day? I was one of the 4877 at Donnybrook but would have thought the crowd was less than that.
    It was probably about right, there was a high school game before it between a team from Chicago and one from Texas, and the Texans in particular brought a massive crowd. (Probably the most entertaining game of that weekend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Leslie91 wrote: »

The '96 game was at Croker. I wasn't at that one but was at the first two in Landsdowne. I was only 13-14 at the time but I remember really enjoying them, especially the BC V Army one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

It was probably about right, there was a high school game before it between a team from Chicago and one from Texas, and the Texans in particular brought a massive crowd. (Probably the most entertaining game of that weekend)

Yeah it was.. the HC of the Chicago team (Loyola was it?) was an ex Charger who played for the Bills also. Looked like a v promising young coach. Holecek is his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nolllaig

Penn State get bowl eligibility back immediately and scholarships next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

nolllaig wrote: »
    Penn State get bowl eligibility back immediately and scholarships next year.

Good news, the penalties were too harsh to begin with as they mostly affected people and players that had nothing to do with the Sandusky incident. But the fact that the decision remains that Penn State must vacate 111 victories from 1998 to 2011 is bullsh!t.

The '96 game was at Croker. I wasn't at that one but was at the first two in Landsdowne. I was only 13-14 at the time but I remember really enjoying them, especially the BC V Army one.

Correct...1996 Notre Dame game was at Croke Park (not even half full for that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That '96 game at Croker was grim alright, raining hard enough on the Hill that day and they didn't throw us into the comforts of covered seating either!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So anyone who attended this game can now say they saw a 1st round draft pick in action with Breshad Perriman going at #26 to the Ravens in the 2015 draft. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Paully D wrote: »
    So anyone who attended this game can now say they saw a 1st round draft pick in action with Breshad Perriman going at #26 to the Ravens in the 2015 draft. :)

http://www.the42.ie/college-american-football-2016-aviva-stadium-2139432-Jun2015/

Could be back on! But in Landsdowne which I think we all agree is a much better venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone have a HD version of the Croke Park game ?

http://www.the42.ie/college-american-football-2016-aviva-stadium-2139432-Jun2015/

Could be back on! But in Landsdowne which I think we all agree is a much better venue.

It's an awful, dead, soulless pit of a venue, not fit to host a Hansen comeback gig, but in terms of numbers it's more suitable than Croke Park I suppose.

Unfortunately it being a smaller venue will I suspect result in a larger demand for tickets & higher price. But I'm looking forward to it if they can arrange it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's an awful, dead, soulless pit of a venue, not fit to host a Hansen comeback gig, but in terms of numbers it's more suitable than Croke Park I suppose.

How is it any less soulless than Croke Park? It's a much better venue.

SantryRed wrote: »

There was a great atmosphere there the day Navy played ND.

SantryRed wrote: »

Every event I've attended there I had a sense that, full or not, an atmosphere simply can't be generated in it. That is not my experience with Croke Park (although when it's not full Croke Park can be cavernous, which is why I ultimately agree that it's better to have the event in the Aviva). It's most definitely not a better venue. For one thing, when it's full there's loads of people with horribly restricted views in the upper decks of the Aviva, either by the bars going across, or even just from seeing the big screen properly (which marred my enjoyment of the ND Navy game as it happens, and I had savage seats that day). Also when it's full Hill 16 adds tremendous atmosphere. There's no comparison for me, a full Croke Park is unforgettable.

OU812 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it being a smaller venue will I suspect result in a larger demand for tickets & higher price. But I'm looking forward to it if they can arrange it

Ah I'd say tickets will still be readily available, it just means there'll hopefully be a bit more of a sense of occasion comparing with playing it in Croke Park with half the seats empty.

My issue with CP isn't the half empty stands or the empty hill but the fact that the pitch is so big and an American football layout is tiny on it.

My issue with CP isn't the half empty stands or the empty hill but the fact that the pitch is so big and an American football layout is tiny on it.

True that's an issue as well in fairness, had kind of forgotten about that, remember it being an issue at soccer and rugby matches as well, but much less so once the place was full. But in AF they are already closing the front few rows because of the lack of a view of the field, so it leaves a massive gap between crowd and field that isn't good for an atmosphere even before you take in that there's so many empty seats.

• Advertisement

Saturday 3 September 2016 - 12.30pm Irish time, meaning a 7.30am start for fans on the east coast in the US.

http://www.the42.ie/2016-aviva-college-american-football-game-2141636-Jun2015/

Advertisement