Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't get NCT test until a month after expiry

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was pretty naive thinking id be able to get a NCT test date by booking 3 weeks beforehand but it turns out that every center is booked solid a month after my NCT expires. If I book for my test in the start of March I'll be driving with an expired NCT disc for a month, if I get stopped by the Gardai does that mean I'm fecked?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you rang the NCT people to see if they have slots that are not on the site? E.g. cancellations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Keep ringing them you may get a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Book the first available date at the centre you want, then go online at 8am and keep checking for cancellations - you'll get a test as soon as tomorrow if that's what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Book the test & just print off a copy of your appointment & keep it in the glove box or if it is in text form, keep it on your phone & I'd say that would be enough for any Guard to allow you to keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

siblers wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was pretty naive thinking id be able to get a NCT test date by booking 3 weeks beforehand but it turns out that every center is booked solid a month after my NCT expires. If I book for my test in the start of March I'll be driving with an expired NCT disc for a month, if I get stopped by the Gardai does that mean I'm fecked?
    Thanks
    I'd say Gardai are aware of waiting times on NCT's, most have cars themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Nice one thanks, should I ring the actual NCT center or just the call center number?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ring the booking line and you should get one fairly soon. The last two ive booked i was offered tests the follwong day if i.wanted them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well i just booked my Mondeo in and it gave me a date of 2oth Feb, actually the due date as it happens. I emailled them asking for an earlier date, to allow for any repairs, and they gave me January 24th....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

If you check enough places you will get a test within the time limit. Just be prepared to travel a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

siblers wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks

You might be - depends on the guard.

Anyway - ring NCT again and request a test within 4 weeks (say clearly that you are requesting it).
    If they can't provide a booking for you within this period, they will have to test your car for free then. So believe me - they will do everything they can to avoid it, and as a result you will get your booking withing 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, just as a reference for next time to avoid this hassle.

If the car is due it's first NCT you can book it 6 months before it's actual due date, all other subsequent NCT tests can be booked 3 months before their due date. You will still get a cert for the 2 years along with the extra time from when it was done. So if you do it 6 months early you will get a cert for 2.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you have time to to spare, go to one of the larger centres and wait for a noshow, bring a book and sambos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

aujopimur wrote: »
    If you have time to to spare, go to one of the larger centres and wait for a noshow, bring a book and sambos.

I thought that they stopped that to stop the dealers from getting their cars done without queuing?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭padski08

This happened me. NCT due up Friday week, rang last week and got told best available date was 20/2

Rang yesterday and asked for cancellation and they said they could do 25/1 or 26/1

Suits me alot better and assume I could got one sooner if i pushed also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Happened to me as well a couple of times over the years, main thing is to book as you have done then just ring up and explain the situation, more often than not will have a cancellation the next day. Also check the actual website too

With regards to the guards - In theory they could issue penalty points but would be very unlikely especially if you had the appointment sheet in the car to produce, so many cars with no NCT expired by over a year, at least it shows you are doing your bit to get the car nct'd

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Quick question. I presume that parking wardens cannot do you for having your NCT out of date.

My NCT is up on 25th of Sept and I cannot book anywhere in Cork until mid November. Madness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Quick question. I presume that parking wardens cannot do you for having your NCT out of date.

My NCT is up on 25th of Sept and I cannot book anywhere in Cork until mid November. Madness.

Try again at 23:31 and see if you get any better dates.

delly wrote: »
    Try again at 23:31 and see if you get any better dates.

Is that when cancelled dates reappear on the website ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Is that when cancelled dates reappear on the website ?

Aye, usually for two weeks in advance, a proven formula.

Got a decent time next Saturday.

Best bit of advice I ever got on Boards. Thanks again. :)

• Advertisement

Good that you got sorted, but just to answer your question - no they can't do you for having no NCT when parked.
    It's not illegal to be out of NCT when parked in public.
    Only illegal when you actually drive the car.

Different story with tax and insurance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

No requirement to have car insured when parked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

visual wrote: »

Of course there is:
    56.—(1) A person (in this subsection referred to as the user) shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle unless either a vehicle insurer, a vehicle guarantor or an exempted person would be liable for injury caused by the negligent use of the vehicle by him at that time
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/print.html#sec62

Just to clarify from the same act:
    “use”, in relation to a vehicle, includes park, and cognate words shall be construed accordingly;

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    Good that you got sorted, but just to answer your question - no they can't do you for having no NCT when parked.
    It's not illegal to be out of NCT when parked in public.
    Only illegal when you actually drive the car.

Different story with tax and insurance though.

Have you got a link for that? Seems very strange to me that a car in use in a public place would not need NCT when stationery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd say you have to have a valid NCT when the car is on the road for any purpose. "Use" includes being parked.

djimi wrote: »
    Have you got a link for that? Seems very strange to me that a car in use in a public place would not need NCT when stationery...

I can't find relevant law at the moment, but a quotation from citizens information gives some clue:
    It is an offence to drive a car that is liable for testing without displaying a National Car Testing Service disc and offenders will face Class C fines, as well as penalty points.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/national_car_test.html

I'll keep looking for the law though.

BTW - nothing strange about it. Makes perfect sense to require valid test only from cars which are being driven. No need for NCT on something that is parked stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old unrelated thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement