Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aregent near dead happened over car

• 20-08-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hey all today i was driving from Waterford to Dublin and lucky enough me car breaks down as i got off the motor way. Here is what happen to me as i turned right the car went straight instead and the squeek of me tyres was like i slammed the brakes. when i got out of the car the steering wheel was locked to the right on the drivers side and passager side was pointing the correct way left i got a tow truck Any ways i had the car towed and there is meant to be a nut and bolt that goes right behind the wheel that holds the car up to the shocks steering and i think drive shaft is this normal for this to be missing, The mechainc has to re order the nut and bolt for me so he can place the shocks and everything back in place. But my issue is that this is a strange thing to happen rather something break a nut was missing that holds the car up what has happened??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What type of car, how old, and how long have you had it?

I almost couldn't read your post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Bulin

Stheno wrote: »
    What type of car, how old, and how long have you had it?

I almost couldn't read your post!

I am sorry i suffer from Dixlizia will re edit it. My car is an Opel Astra 04 n ewer model Passed the nct 4 months ago. Had the clutch replaced recently

Bulin wrote: »
    I am sorry i suffer from Dixlizia will re edit it. My car is an Opel Astra 04 n ewer model Passed the nct 4 months ago. Had the clutch replaced recently right now I am more worried is the bolt normal to be missing or is it someone toke it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It'd be unusual and difficult for someone to deliberately remove a bolt from the suspension. What's possible is that it wasn't fully tightened last time it was undone and it just worked its way out over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

wow you were Lucky sounds like the nuts weren't tightened enough , when I do work on cars every nut gets a bit of locktight and a dab of tipex to tell me its tightened so I dont overlook a nut or bolt, it helps me sleep better at night and not be worrying about something like that happening to one of my costumers.

• Advertisement

mphalo1 wrote: »
    wow you were Lucky sounds like the nuts weren't tightened enough , when I do work on cars every nut gets a bit of locktight and a dab of tipex to tell me its tightened so I dont overlook a nut or bolt, it helps me sleep better at night and not be worrying about something like that happening to one of my costumers.

this is my own mechaic i use to allow to touch my car,
    But it is mad how a person who u trust to fix a car make a mistake where i could of lost my life and three kids, These days a lot of mechainc unscrew things to allow the car to break knowing it will need to be fixed is the the way Irish culture is now where someone u trust to fix a car may cost a life,
    I am gona use this site to poof how a person that u pay to fix u car to be aware on the after mat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Don't think any mechanic would lossen a nut expecting repeat business.
    Its more likely sloppy work and if you even suspect that, its time to change mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

No mechanic would unscrew things to allow the car to break.

That's a ridiculous thing to say.

Unscrew or sloppy work don't matter there is a pin that hold the screw and a lock but in place to hold it and this will under all means not just fall of. Anyone that disagrees with that is not a person who knows about cars. First of all the car past the NCT a few weeks ago. My starting motor and clutch was replaced a few weeks ago. The mechanic who fixed was shocked to show me there was not bold. The only thing holding the car up was itself. People who think that people are not doing this on spite are very silly and there is a big window waiting for u outside my home. I cannot fix cars but I can have a bash of it if I falls apart that is not my fault

wow you were Lucky sounds like the nuts weren't tightened enough , when I do work on cars every nut gets a bit of locktight and a dab of tipex to tell me its tightened so I dont overlook a nut or bolt, it helps me sleep better at night and not be worrying about something like that happening to one of my costumers.[/quote
    Fair play to you as a person and someone that gives that lil extra is the person we should allow near are cars cow boys and cars is asking for trouble can I please ask any mechanic to do this as it would save someone's life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i was using the same tyre place for years till they forgot to tighten the lock nut on my trackrod end when doing my tracking
    i use a different place now.

never underestimate incompetence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

On occasion I have had to send cars out to large chain Tyre centers for alignment, I check them after and have found many loose Locknuts on track rod ends and so far I am up 3 pairs of vise grips that have been left attached to the Track rod!

Advance, Fastfit are both repeat offenders. My 4 Wheel align system while newish needs maintained much too often.

Tigger wrote: »
    i was using the same tyre place for years till they forgot to tighten the lock nut on my trackrod end when doing my tracking
    i use a different place now.

never underestimate incompetence
    I agree with u there please do name and shame the place so other avoid the place or area around it. Did u get anythingdid u complain or tell them there mistake ?

Mech1 wrote: »
    On occasion I have had to send cars out to large chain Tyre centers for alignment, I check them after and have found many loose Locknuts on track rod ends and so far I am up 3 pairs of vise grips that have been left attached to the Track rod!

Advance, Fastfit are both repeat offenders. My 4 Wheel align system while newish needs maintained much too often.
    For a big chain of command they u think that before every car gets send it be expected by someone.before giving it back not only that is I have seen Garda in getting jobs done. I think my point is of the boards is to make people understand.that even a track rod been fitted uncorrectly could cause a crash. This will also only go down as an accident and not the fact
    Someone is to blame

Bulin wrote: »
    I agree with u there please do name and shame the place so other avoid the place or area around it. Did u get anythingdid u complain or tell them there mistake ?

Can u please give me the worst case outcome that could of happened to your cars going 120 km hour down a motor way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

death! for anyone in the car and even death for other motorists near you or pedestrians or whatever just plain and simple death! funny enough I seen a car on the n11 the other day , the back wheel fell off! as I was driving past thinking there's another lucky person wtf is going on here , worst case scenario for him could off been death too. always torque wheel nuts and recheck after test drive to avoid this , and yes you can tell the next mechanic your horror story and your new found fears and to double check all nuts are tight before giving it back to you from now so they say "oh here she is the one that goes on about nuts being tight so make sure its the case here lads and double check ," so eventually your new mech will always assure you everything is tight and not to worry yourself so trust can eventually build up between you and him ;)

death! for anyone in the car and even death for other motorists near you or pedestrians or whatever just plain and simple death! funny enough I seen a car on the n11 the other day , the back wheel fell off! as I was driving past thinking there's another lucky person wtf is going on here , worst case scenario for him could off been death too. always torque wheel nuts and recheck after test drive to avoid this , and yes you can tell the next mechanic your horror story and your new found fears and to double check all nuts are tight before giving it back to you from now so they say "oh here she is the one that goes on about nuts being tight so make sure its the case here lads and double check ," so eventually your new mech will always assure you everything is tight and not to worry yourself so trust can eventually build up between you and him ;)
    N11 is one of the many places in Dublin where u are traveling at speed and it happening on a daly basis and the car to not be fitted and that can it has broken down on a inner city road not to bad but speed. Can I make it clear and take advice that has been given. Make sure if someone at ur car I ask him to give the nuts that lil bit extra please god people

Advertisement