Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One gadget to rule them all!

Options
  • 16-08-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

What about this?
    • Car Dash Cam - 1080p/wide angle lens/continuous looped recording/g-sensor/emergency clip save button/starts recording when the engine starts with no need for human interaction
    • GPS Tracker - Allows vehicle to be tracked 24/7 with a detailed history log accessible remotely and can even send a photo or small video feed.
    • Sat Nav - Uses Google's intelligent live traffic knowledge with on the fly-in navigation slower/faster touch alternative route suggestions with full "offline" maps to reduce data usage.
    • Additional Features - Low voltage protection (stops device draining car battery and will always leave enough to start engine), Low consumption mode (allows GPS tracker to still communicate and uses "parking mode" feature for dash cam, recording shocks and motion sensor).
    • Optional Accessories - Rear View Mirror Cradle - Replaces your windscreen rear-view mirror and allows a plug and play slot in connection for inconspicuous mounting while taking up minimal windscreen real estate.

This is my idea of the complete car gadget. The question is, does anything like this exist? It would be sweet to have all this in one in a high quality device that will just work. A smart phone can probably do a lot of it, but it wouldn't have the ignition on feature a regular dash cam would have or the low voltage protection.

If anyone knows of such a device, please share!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I want one of these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

and in the darkness bind them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I'll take one!!

never seen anything like that. there are companies, mainly in Aisa that will take ideas like that and product develop the idea and take it to production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I'll take one!!

never seen anything like that. there are companies, mainly in Aisa that will take ideas like that and product develop the idea and take it to production.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

An iPad mini or android tablet with the right apps could probably do most if not all of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Stinicker wrote: »
    An iPad mini or android tablet with the right apps could probably do most if not all of those things.

The Android/iPad devices aren't really good as dash cams as they have no wide angle lens, also they aren't designed to run off power all the time and would eventually wreck the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think the next great thing would be GPS projected onto the entire windscreen. However it gives the impression that it's not displayed on the glass, but in the landscape ahead.

So you can see a Google Maps pointer for example of your destination off in the distance in the hills for example and direction of travel overlaid lightly over the roads surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think the next great thing would be GPS projected onto the entire windscreen. However it gives the impression that it's not displayed on the glass, but in the landscape ahead.

So you can see a Google Maps pointer for example of your destination off in the distance in the hills for example and direction of travel overlaid lightly over the roads surface.

This is the closest for now:

2014 Prius. I know they're becoming pretty popular and I've seen them on the new Mazda3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You should have patented it, too late now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Patent what exactly, a GPS an dashcam glued together?

OP needs to concentrate on his life outside the car. That and figure that a GS450h is more of a muscle car than an ecoboost Mustang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Patent what exactly, a GPS an dashcam glued together?

OP needs to concentrate on his life outside the car. That and figure that a GS450h is more of a muscle car than an ecoboost Mustang.

:confused: Haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Considering I make a living from providing a transport service where all the features above have a great benefit to what I do, I think it's well deserving of the 10 minutes it took to make the thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think I'd find that HUD a bit of a pain after a while.

Is it not distracting slightly?

The HUD looks far too gimmicky for me. It'd be fine when your next turn is in 300m on an open quiet road with 1 turn every few km, but when you're stuck in busy but moving city traffic on multi lane roads with turns and one way systems and tight roads all around, you need to be sure you're making the right turn, the only reliable way I've found for this is to be looking at a clear directional facing map, zoomed to a decent level where you can clearly make out your turn and see a bit of the road ahead to make sure it is indeed your turn, you then need to be able to quickly zoom out and back in again and see street names and your onward path, even with this, it's still possible to make the wrong turn and if your GPS doesn't pick up you've gone off track quick enough, you could end up having to make a long detour, that HUD would probably drive me mad if I was driving through unknown territory, especially a busy foreign city on the other side of the road :pac:

Isnt that HUD thingy already out there?

I had a speedometer app on my phone for a while. You placed the phone on the dashboard, facing upwards, and the speedometer was displayed on the windscreen.

I'm pretty sure there was a sat nav version, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

I think Navdy is getting close. Will probably to integrate the dash cam in version 2

I cannot post links yet - Boo! but if you google Navdy dot com you will get the idea

Just had a look there and again, can't imagine it being much use in the situation I described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Keep an eye on Android Auto, should be launching soon with OEMs and the aftermarket. I can see pretty much everything you said being part of it. Id expect an announcement between now and Xmas

http://www.android.com/auto/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I think Navdy is getting close. Will probably to integrate the dash cam in version 2

I cannot post links yet - Boo! but if you google Navdy dot com you will get the idea

Yeah, just saw it advertised on autoexpress and came on here to post it.

https://www.navdy.com/

Should add I'm not convinced its a great product, but I reckon we are going to see a lot of products arriving soon that fit the bill.

projectgtr wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Android Auto, should be launching soon with OEMs and the aftermarket. I can see pretty much everything you said being part of it. Id expect an announcement between now and Xmas

http://www.android.com/auto/

I don't see anything mentioned about a dsah cam? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

cormie wrote: »
    I don't see anything mentioned about a dsah cam? :o

Plus, isn't the GPS on a phone/tablet inferior to dedicated sat nav or a HU with a GPS aerial Or can you boost your phone's GPS signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Plus, isn't the GPS on a phone/tablet inferior to dedicated sat nav or a HU with a GPS aerial Or can you boost your phone's GPS signal?

Not so sure. I have a top of the range, voice command garmin that cost me around €500 mark. It's a super sat nav, but overall, i would say its nearly equal to the €3 app i have on my iphone.

I really only use the garmin on long trips, or if abroad, because i don't have to rely on data for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Yeah, just saw it advertised on autoexpress and came on here to post it.

https://www.navdy.com/

Should add I'm not convinced its a great product, but I reckon we are going to see a lot of products arriving soon that fit the bill.

Unfortunately another nice device that just attracts some scum sucking knacker junky to break into your car a steal it. Looks good though.. if it had the dashcam:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Search for it on ebay and they'll get it made if it doesn't exist...or at least tell the right foke someone was looking for it.

Why Ebay Tells Manufacturers in China What You're Searching For

Looks like Garmin has a Dash Cam/GPS model out now: http://explore.garmin.com/en-US/nuvi/

If only Garmin could team up with Google and offer the route options like Google maps does, then all it would be missing is the GPS tracking and mirror cradle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

cormie wrote: »
    What about this?
    • Car Dash Cam - 1080p/wide angle lens/continuous looped recording/g-sensor/emergency clip save button/starts recording when the engine starts with no need for human interaction
    • GPS Tracker - Allows vehicle to be tracked 24/7 with a detailed history log accessible remotely and can even send a photo or small video feed.
    • Sat Nav - Uses Google's intelligent live traffic knowledge with on the fly-in navigation slower/faster touch alternative route suggestions with full "offline" maps to reduce data usage.
    • Additional Features - Low voltage protection (stops device draining car battery and will always leave enough to start engine), Low consumption mode (allows GPS tracker to still communicate and uses "parking mode" feature for dash cam, recording shocks and motion sensor).
    • Optional Accessories - Rear View Mirror Cradle - Replaces your windscreen rear-view mirror and allows a plug and play slot in connection for inconspicuous mounting while taking up minimal windscreen real estate.

This is my idea of the complete car gadget. The question is, does anything like this exist? It would be sweet to have all this in one in a high quality device that will just work. A smart phone can probably do a lot of it, but it wouldn't have the ignition on feature a regular dash cam would have or the low voltage protection.

If anyone knows of such a device, please share!

Garmin make a great device here's the link http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/garmin-dash-cam-35-hd-vehicle-driving-recorder

I've tried the buddies one and it's great, but for me it's just too large, i prefer something a bit more discreet.

Hope this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread

Tbh, you may as well post about the Garmin in "dashcam (what to get and where to get it)" which is current.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement