Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Red Nissan wrote: »
    GoPro cameras can make wonderful videos and are far superior to most dashcams to boot.

Drawbacks include battery life and difficulty in powering sufficiently from the vehicle's power sockets, it can be done but not as a weatherproof option from GoPro. It's a full video system that does not support GPS currently, and is generally a pain in the butt ~ it's forté is short video clips in high quality in a weather proof and waterproof case. Maybe best for storm chasing than a day to day dashcam.

If one has the GPS option on their dashcams then the sodtware showing where they went is pretty good and worth a little extra to get this feature. Dedicated Dashcams draw power from the engine and will start and stop with the key. Some can have continuous power supplied to offer over night and parking protection.

Most are poor in transferring files, it's a take the card out and put in another one.
    Perfect, I haven't even looked into this properly as I wouldn't be buying until closer to Christmas.

I have GPS built into the car so not sure I'd need that. Something that works based off the ignition would be cool, that and something that doesn't clutter up the dash too much with wires etc.

Will leave off the gopro anyway, cheers for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310891426086?clk_rvr_id=671997101570

This sellers sells the correct none fake GW1.

I got stung with a fake but reordered from above.

Top class cam.
    Ordered one on Sunday. Lets see how long it takes to get here. Will I need an sd card? I don't think I have any class 10 ones knocking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ordered one on Sunday. Lets see how long it takes to get here. Will I need an sd card? I don't think I have any class 10 ones knocking around.
    Ordered mine from estore009 on the 16th July and received it via Parcel Motel on the 26th. You'll need an SD card (micro I think) and a Mini HDMI to HDMI cable if you want to review video on your TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I have a 32 sandisc class 4 in mine. Had to buy it separately. Works fine. (for me)..

Mine took about 2 weeks to be delivered. I think the seller waits till he gets a large consignment to send at one time. So it may take longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭SteM

Reviews of the gw1 say not to use a class 10 card as there is some sort of buffering bug with them. Class 4 card seems to be recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

SteM wrote: »
    Reviews of the gw1 say not to use a class 10 card as there is some sort of buffering bug with them. Class 4 card seems to be recommended.

Thats odd,the guy selling them on ebay is saying to use a class 10 only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

magentis wrote: »

All things being equal, Class Ten.

Individually, any class card will work better, specifically to that device and physical card.

I have devices that demand Class Ten but actually run better on Class 4, and even one card from the same class and manufacturer working well in a particular device and not working in another ~ despite neither being faulty.

Firmware has bearing in the mix too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

My dashcam refuses to write on Class 4 (too slow) card. Class 10 - no problem.

Prices are going down, so not really big money to spend. :)

magentis wrote: »

G1W REVIEW - The Best (Insanely Cheap) 1080p Dash…: http://youtu.be/Eo76bkytA3o

10:43 into this review for instance. I don't have one so maybe it's an issue that's been fixed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So I've had to replace the car, now I have a Ford Focus Zetec and wanted to get a dashcam for it, this is my choice http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F2GMWCG/

Thing is, I'd like to minimize the visibility of the power cable for it so how can it be wired to the car. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is, I'd like to minimize the visibility of the power cable for it so how can it be wired to the car. Any suggestions?
    I got the G1W recently and discovered that the cigarette lighter in the Focus always has power so the unit won't switch on/switch off automatically with the ignition (if you're using the cigarette lighter to power the dashcam). It might be a factor you should consider also when considering how to wire up your dashcam.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I got the G1W recently and discovered that the cigarette lighter in the Focus always has power so the unit won't switch on/switch off automatically with the ignition (if you're using the cigarette lighter to power the dashcam). It might be a factor you should consider also when considering how to wire up your dashcam.

I have two power outlets in the zetec (2009), one near the gear stick and another in the armrest behind the handbreak. No actual cig lighter like you'd normally see.

I must check of power stays on either when the car is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Has anyone ever bought one from aliexpress ?

So mine arrived yesterday. I have yet to get a card. I'm still undecided to get a 16gb or 32gb class 4 or class 10. Any help would be much appreciated. Is there a firmware update? I haven't plugged it into the pc yet.

I'm still undecided to get a 16gb or 32gb class 4 or class 10.
    Have used 16GB (Sandisk) and 32GB (Transcend) in it and both work fine. However I've only been using it for just over a week. Perhaps issues arise over time.

So mine arrived yesterday. I have yet to get a card. I'm still undecided to get a 16gb or 32gb class 4 or class 10. Any help would be much appreciated. Is there a firmware update? I haven't plugged it into the pc yet.

I have a 32g class 4 in mine. 4 months in a 40hr a week truck with constant stop/starts.

It works fine. But I do have playback issues from using .mov files.

I have yet to find an easy way to maintain the raw quality without spending ages behind the computer.

i ordered a sandisk 32gb ultra (it doesn't appear to say what class it is) from the vodafone fone website. I had a load of cherrypoints racked up so it didn't cost me anything. It should be here in a couple of days. Let's see how it handles 60 hours a week in the truck:eek:

As I said , I was having trouble before using .mov files and uploading to youtube while keeping quality.

Spend a small bit of time serching for simple answers. As quite a few of you are using the G1W it may interest you.

Most people have windows movie maker installed on their computer.

The problem is, that it does not recognize .MOV files.

This is an easy fix. You need to download a codec pack. These are files that enables Windows Movie Maker to recognize .mov files by teaching the program the language that your G1W speaks.

I found it here . http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm and used the full version. I scanned the files with AGV for malware and found them to be safe.

Once I installed the files onto my PC, Windows Movie Maker could see the dashcam vids.

There is also a handy YOUTUBE button in Windows Movie Maker that can transfer your finished vids to youtube with a couple of clicks. You will need to set up a windows live account and connect it to youtube to do this. Its simple though.

I just made a quick sample here and it took no time. Its available in 1080p.

It has given it a crop which I don't know how to fix just yet. Suggestions?

Is it just me or does that video start in SD and only change to HD about half way through? I've noticed this in a few dashcam videos but don't know if the issue is at my end or the same for everyone.

Is it just me or does that video start in SD and only change to HD about half way through? I've noticed this in a few dashcam videos but don't know if the issue is at my end or the same for everyone.

Yeah. It happen to me also. Takes a few seconds to play in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

With regard to viewing files from a dashcam - rather than installing codecs I'd recommend using VLC media player - comes with tons of in built codecs & is a brilliant media player

I was already thinking of it but after spending a week driving in Clare I've decided to fit a dashcam, some of the driving I've come across has to be seen to be believed. Think I'll go down the route of a modified Mobius, looks like a neat solution to me.

G1W REVIEW - The Best (Insanely Cheap) 1080p Dash…: http://youtu.be/Eo76bkytA3o

10:43 into this review for instance. I don't have one so maybe it's an issue that's been fixed.
    So I got my sd card yesterday and mounted the cam in the truck. But unfortunately there's not enough manoeuvring on the mount to get a proper angle of the road because of my vertical windshield. Not good. I will see what the footage is like later on a pc.

That is a different mount to the one I got. The mount that comes with mine will do any position.

Did you use the seller posted in the link I put up?

mount.jpg

That is a different mount to the one I got. The mount that comes with mine will do any position.

Did you use the seller posted in the link I put up?
    I believe I did. I thought there was a different mount for attaching to rear view mirrors but I didn't look too closely. The mount I have is fine for the volvos because there is a slight slope in the screen bur in this Scania(which is what I drive most of the time) it's not going to work out, especially since I've been advised to make sure that it can see the traffic lights.

I believe I did. I thought there was a different mount for attaching to rear view mirrors but I didn't look too closely. The mount I have is fine for the volvos because there is a slight slope in the screen bur in this Scania(which is what I drive most of the time) it's not going to work out, especially since I've been advised to make sure that it can see the traffic lights.

There is. You can buy it pretty cheap separately from ebay I think - just look for g1w mirror mount. It looks like that might suit you better?

There is. You can buy it pretty cheap separately from ebay I think - just look for g1w mirror mount. It looks like that might suit you better?

I don't think mirror mount would suit me as we don't have mirrors in theses things. But if I could get one the same as yours I would be sorted.

Checked out the footage that I got yesterday from my dashcam and its completely useless because of the angle of the mount. I looked back at the ebay listing and the mount pictured is different from the one depicted in the ad. I also searched ebay for another mount and I cant seem to find one.
    It looks like i will scrap that dashcam and buy another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Are there any gadget nerds amongst us here?

I've 3 dash cams which aren't working properly and I don't know if it's down to an error with the camera itself, something to do with the cards I'm using, something to do with the power source in the van or what, but all 3 of these are giving issues:

Mini 0801 (bought for about €90) - Only records sometimes, with no obvious pattern as to when it might record
    iTronics ITB100HD (bought for about €180) - Rarely boots up and records, but still does the odd time but again no pattern as to when it does.
    DRS1100 (bought for about €150)- This is an older model but was reliable in it's day. It's now giving an issue which I think might be related to the card that it keeps beeping when you turn it on. I actually have a second one not being used too which I believe was working perfect last time I had it connected.

So 4 cameras I'd be willing to get rid of. Just not sure what the best thing to do with them is and I really don't have time to be messing around and testing them. I could put them on eBay of course but thought I'd post here first. I'd be selling the camera only, no accessories (not even power cable), no memory cards, just the unit itself.

EDIT: Wow, just dealt with amazon customer service and have already had a shipping label returned for the mini 0801 to be returned so that's no longer available :)

• Advertisement

Threw the above cams up on Ebay if anyone is interested: http://search.ebay.ie/?sass=vantasks&ht=-1

Feckin hell ... 15 euro for postage!! They must weigh a ton!

That's a flat worldwide rate for registered post. I wouldn't ship with anything else for an eBay sale. No reserve and a 1c starting price, I don't want to end up paying money to give somebody a dash cam ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

Feckin hell ... 15 euro for postage!! They must weigh a ton!

Pretty cheap, see what DHL, UPS etc would charge for international ;)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Checked out the footage that I got yesterday from my dashcam and its completely useless because of the angle of the mount. I looked back at the ebay listing and the mount pictured is different from the one depicted in the ad. I also searched ebay for another mount and I cant seem to find one.
    It looks like i will scrap that dashcam and buy another one.

Got sorted out in maplins today in blanchardstown. Not ideal, but its a good quality mount (it would want to be for the price). Shame I hadn't got it for the mcCulla driver that blindly swung his trailer at me on the way here. It would have made for good footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

cormie wrote: »
    Threw the above cams up on Ebay if anyone is interested: http://search.ebay.ie/?sass=vantasks&ht=-1

what are were they? I cant see them?
    What is the camera you use?
    Ive got an old roadhawk now but it has its limitations, great footage of a car spinning on the M50 in front of me but Im not sure how to edit out the passengers voices when they saw it happening.

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    Ive got an old roadhawk now but it has its limitations, great footage of a car spinning on the M50 in front of me but Im not sure how to edit out the passengers voices when they saw it happening.
    Google Registrator Viewer. It allows you to edit clips and save without audio.

15 for delivery is a bit much for me if they are uncertain to work, Id open them up but not sure if they could even be repaired, as much out of curiosity to see if I could get one working out of two by playing around with them, I'll take them or whatever you're letting go off your hands if you want rid of them, but Im uncertain if they have already moved as the ebay link suggest the bidding has ended, although Id be uninclined to pay for uncertain items, whatever you think. Im in dublin and could collect.

My own roadhawk doesnt display the gps map anymore, although if you hover the mouse cursor in the right place it shows the coordinates.

I was thinking of getting an itronics at one point but even at the reduced amount it was more than I had and then I understand the manufacturer put the prices up? Id actually forgot the make, but when I saw your name I was sure you'd mentioned about having the make (itronics).

I'm giving the one with the beep issue away on facebook.com/vantasks

I'll deliver it free. I'm going to try relist the iTronics on eBay again and I might just keep the working DRS1100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.witnessphoneapp.com/

witness_home.png

witness_driving.png

witness_accident_advice.png

witness_map.png

witness_exported_video.png

I'll need to get a decent phone holder.. anyone recommend one for iPhone 4s?

I don't get why car manufacturers don't have DashCams as an optional extra that is built in.

• Advertisement

I'm giving the one with the beep issue away on facebook.com/vantasks

I'll deliver it free. I'm going to try relist the iTronics on eBay again and I might just keep the working DRS1100.

Ok, thought they were all knackered, not really on FB, well I was but its deactivated.
    I'll look up a new iTronics again, I got the impression from before they were the bees knees in terms of resolution, other than that dash cam nothing stood out to me.
    Anyone know of any similar,newer or replacement dash cams that can match the iTronics?
    The roadhawk (DRS1100) is good but I bought it secondhand, had a cheaper dash cam previously that was much cheaper and from China, but it was terribly unreliable turning itself on and off, fine when it took footage but more of an annoying distraction, it has a rear camera though which took some good shots which I like.

I'll check out the app mentioned too.

PeteK* wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this?

witness_home.png

witness_driving.png

witness_map.png

I don't get why car manufacturers don't have DashCams as an optional extra that is built in.

Looks alright, what'd be nice would be a compartment on top of the dashboard, like an almera has but which opens and has a pop out base to raise and could hold a standard gps and/or camera mount and when closed fold down to cover the item.
    Google Registrator Viewer. It allows you to edit clips and save without audio.

Doesnt seem to work for me, says file error, splitter splitter, file may be broken, but it plays in roadhawk software.
    Ill try again, UB1 files wouldnt open.

Ok, thought they were all knackered, not really on FB, well I was but its deactivated.
    I'll look up a new iTronics again, I got the impression from before they were the bees knees in terms of resolution, other than that dash cam nothing stood out to me.
    Anyone know of any similar,newer or replacement dash cams that can match the iTronics?
    The roadhawk (DRS1100) is good but I bought it secondhand, had a cheaper dash cam previously that was much cheaper and from China, but it was terribly unreliable turning itself on and off, fine when it took footage but more of an annoying distraction, it has a rear camera though which took some good shots which I like.

I'll check out the app mentioned too.

If you want my faulty DRS1100 and plan on doing a bit of experimenting with it to try get it to work, it's yours, just PM me your address here and I'll send it to you :)

Here's my opinion on buying "The best of the best" when it comes to dash cams, I had written this out previously on the facebook post too actually when somebody asked which replacement did I get and why:
    Ok where to start? The above photo is a mix of cameras. 2 DRS1100's, an iTronics ITB100HD and a Mini 0801.

I initially only wanted the best, the DRS1100 are both old and I stopped using them more than a year ago. The DRS1100 was one of the first dash cams and was the best at the time. From them, I upgraded to the iTronics ITB100HD, I bought 4 and had them shipped from Asia. They were the best on the market at the time too and they were expensive. Out of the 4, I kept 3 and gave one away in a Facebook competition.

Out of the 3, the one above stopped working with a "Boot Issue". I hope the one that went to the competition winner is still going ok. After seeing what cheaper cameras could offer, pretty much the same thing, I decided there's not much point going for the best of the best and having them shipped from outside the EU (risk of import duties, can't claim the VAT back, expensive returns and if buying from Ebay, the seller may not even be around by the time it develops a problem).

I decided to get a cheaper camera for the replacement for the broken ITB100HD and went for the Mini 0801, and bough from Amazon and it was fulfilled by Amazon. This too developed a fault but the return process from Amazon was amazing, I went on live chat at 5am one morning, they sent a link to a page I just have to print out, cut around labels, stick to a box, bring it to the post office and it didn't cost a thing. They refunded my card before I had even gone to the post office. With this in mind, I decided I'm only going to buy again "Dispatched and sold by" or "Fulfilled by" Amazon, I've had too many dash cams develop problems to be messing around.

I received 2 x Mini 0803 (update from the Mini 0801) today and although there's a few bad reviews saying units have stopped working, overheated etc, I have that protection from Amazon so decided to go for it anyway. There is no camera currently out there at the moment which does EXACTLY what I want it to do. I started a thread on boards.ie about this only recently here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057270716

Until something comes out that's almost fitting that description, I'll be happy with what I have for the time being, safe in the knowledge that I can return it if they fail on me.

This is the link to the Mini 0803: http://www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00...

I went for the one with the internal memory but on second thoughts, it probably would have been better to save money on that, and put it towards a 2nd memory card because if anything is captured, it's always best to eject the card and replace it so nothing important risks being recorded over. I can still do this with the internal memory using a second card, but you have to choose between "internal" and "external" card on the display, which is more hassle than just swapping cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

PeteK* wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this?

witness_home.png

witness_driving.png

witness_map.png

I've been using it for about two years, really need to get a proper one though , it works fine but drains the battery.
    I got a holder off eBay for about 8 quid, I have it positioned behind my rear view mirror to try and stop it vibrating.
    I have posted a few videos on here from it

If you want my faulty DRS1100 and plan on doing a bit of experimenting with it to try get it to work, it's yours, just PM me your address here and I'll send it to you :)

Here's my opinion on buying "The best of the best" when it comes to dash cams, I had written this out previously on the facebook post too actually when somebody asked which replacement did I get and why:

I wouldn't have mined a tinker with it, but if you can get someone to buy it, work away, I might get to it or I might not, there's a big back burner here, as much as I want to get things done, never enough time.
    The post on the other camera options is good.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I've been using it for about two years, really need to get a proper one though , it works fine but drains the battery.
    I got a holder off eBay for about 8 quid, I have it positioned behind my rear view mirror to try and stop it vibrating.
    I have posted a few videos on here from it

Must look that one up and see is there a recommended minimum resolution required.

Any other suggestions to convert or edit UB 1 files from roadhawk to upload edited files to youtube?

I wouldn't have mined a tinker with it, but if you can get someone to buy it, work away, I might get to it or I might not, there's a big back burner here, as much as I want to get things done, never enough time.

I definitely won't be selling it, there's even no interest in me giving it away for free over facebook so if you think you'll find the time to have a mess around you're welcome to it :)

With regards the editing of UB1 files, you can use Cam Studio to capture the screen, including the map, or for better quality, save the footage as an AVI through the X-Driven software and then use something like Windows Movie Maker (free) to edit the clips.

I definitely won't be selling it, there's even no interest in me giving it away for free over facebook so if you think you'll find the time to have a mess around you're welcome to it :)

With regards the editing of UB1 files, you can use Cam Studio to capture the screen, including the map, or for better quality, save the footage as an AVI through the X-Driven software and then use something like Windows Movie Maker (free) to edit the clips.

Ok well, I'll take it off your hands so. MAybe I can arrange to meet you/collect it some time, I'm near liffey valley and am usually near there or passing on a regular basis
    Thanks for the other info too, I'll try edit my footage.
    Found this site too for anyone interested, http://dashcamtalk.com/
    I had/have the i1000 in that list, when it worked, ok, which it mostly didnt, so pretty rubbish.

It would be easier for me just to send it by post in a jiffy bag so if you can PM your address I'll try get it off today or tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi folks, I have two dashcams already, however, Im looking to put on into one of the minis. I have a few prerequisites:

Small/Discreet. - There really is nowhere to hide on the windscreen, so either something that sits snug behind the rear view mirror, or one that I can mount on the physical dash that I can remove when I hope in and hop out.

Loop Recording - It needs to be able to loop when the card is full and record over the oldest recorded files.

Hard wire- As the car doesn't have a cigarette lighter, I would be looking to make sure I can hardwire it in.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks

It would be easier for me just to send it by post in a jiffy bag so if you can PM your address I'll try get it off today or tomorrow :)

ok,
    Let me know how much it is to post a jiffy bag
    I'll pm my address

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement