Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on the cut block

• 18-08-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41

what do ye folks think of the cut block from a players point of view on an amateur level, Iafa? it's one of the things that went towards finishing my playing career, it's not far from deliberately trying to injure a opposition player in my books the game could so without it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

powerpete wrote: »
    what do ye folks think of the cut block from a players point of view on an amateur level, Iafa? it's one of the things that went towards finishing my playing career, it's not far from deliberately trying to injure a opposition player in my books the game could so without it.

That's why a cut/chop block is so heavily penalised. It's a 15 yarder and 1st down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 powerpete

Only when the the defender is engaging a separate player it's used frequently still, I saw it being used frequently last weekend in Iafa games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

In the NFL, its only a penalty to chop block a defensive player when he is already being blocked by another offensive player.

1 on 1 chop blacks are not penalties.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I have played soccer for many years, thankfully my most serious injury has been a couple of pulled muscles. If a player is going for the ball and breaks my leg I would have no issue with that, these things happen.
    However if i know a player is intentionally going to try and injure me, well i do have an issue with that.

I would view chop blocks in that regards tbh, someone intentionally trying to hurt me, I would not be happy and considering i'm probably 6'6 and 300+ pounds.. thats a lot of angry!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I remember Favre cut blocked the crap out of some cornerback (could have been a safety) a few years ago and there was a lot of criticism. There's very few things in the game that look more sinister than a deliberate cut block.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Chop blocks and Cut blocks are two different things. A chop block is as described by Hazy and illegal in all forms of the game. A cut block is still allowed and is a 1v1 issue where the defender drops at the lower portion of the opposing player. 99% of all cut blocks are players knowing what they are doing within the laws not going with intent to hurt someone the other 1% are scumbags.

Take Gronk last season his injury was a cut block that destroyed his knee. Legal and nothing wrong with it and part of the game. Injuries happen from it but are actually rare.

Now saying all this why would Amateur level guys remove a perfectly good technique just because there is potential for injury that doesn't happen that often? A normal tackle can lead to injury as can going to catch a ball and landing incorrectly. Once coaches teach perfect technique and make sure their players aren't gunning for knees why shouldn't a cut block be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Absolutely nothing wrong with cut blocks when they're used properly.

A proper cut should be through the front of the leg and only delivered downfield from the original placement of the ball (ie never back towards the ball, or infield) to avoid any contact with the side of a player's knees.

The Favre one was not in accordance to these rules, hence why it took so much flak.

I've played amateur ball for 12 years, have a reconstructed knee to show for it.
    I've never had any issue with offensive players trying to cut me, getting tackled puts your legs at much higher risk.

If a defensive player is cut while engaging with a different blocker, then it's not a cut block, it's a chop block which is illegal and dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 powerpete

when there are so many rules to protect offensive players should there be something for defensive players? Now I personally really dislike the move and that it's still there, never used it when I played offense, I ve found its mostly used by guys who don't want to come in and hit straight up there is often a blur between one on one and engaging with another player too if your blitzing a gap let's say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

if you're blitzing a gap and manage to get double teamed, you're not blitzing a gap, you're running into the o line...
    You either need to work on your blitz packages or talk to your dline.

There is protection there to say when an offensive player is allowed to cut and what constitutes a legal cut, we do much worse to offensive players who come downfield or across the middle.

Unless you've been getting chopped or blindsided by cut blocks, I can't really understand your complaint. Apart from a dead leg, I've never seen anyone badly injured from a properly executed cut block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

This is a cut block:

10367692_10152606780323200_8628696984298929797_n.jpg

You cut someone above the knee. Go through the thigh and when it's done right (see above) nobody gets hurt.

The key is when it is done right.

It's just like tackling. When it is done right you tackle the ball carrier and get up to do the same on the next play.

When it is done wrong there is potential for all kinds of neck/spinal/you name it injuries.

Would you suggest people stop tackling to prevent injuries?

Football is a collision sport. You are going to get hit. You are going to get hit high, low, sideways, backwards and hard, sometimes very hard. If you use good technique and play smart (and with a little luck) you will avoid injuries. I managed to play the last 11 seasons in the iafa without picking up an injury until I broke my own finger while wrapping a qb earlier this year, shit happens but we move on!

I like the cut personally. It gives smaller/weaker guys an edge on the bigger guys. Once it's done once they will expect it and it gives you an advantage. The key is knowing when to do it & when you do it, do it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement