Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Garoppolo looking good. I think Mallett's on his way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

CJC86 wrote: »
    Garoppolo looking good. I think Mallet's on his way out.

I have him as Brady's back up already. A very impressive start to his Pats career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Apart from the pick, it's been a pretty dominant display on both sides of the ball so far.
    Got to say, Jimmy looking good (making plays, looking confident).

Obviously it's still just a pre-season game; having a lot more starters playing was always going to look better than last week.

Bill put Garoppolo in against their starters this week and he's risen to the challenge. We can't ask for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Bill put Garoppolo in against their starters this week and he's risen to the challenge. We can't ask for anything else.

One thing he has proven that he is a game ready guy. From a lackluster off season to completely up for it come game time. He has shown more in 1 and half game than Mallett has in 4 seasons. Fingers crossed Jimmy turns into #12 replacement because we do need someone to step up for us.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    One thing he has proven that he is a game ready guy. From a lackluster off season to completely up for it come game time.

And that's the most impressive thing about him. He really looked like a rookie in camp. Then last week, under the lights, first NFL game and bang! he looks like a baby Brady.

10 first half penalties in the first half, so far. Could be more in the second when we see the 2nd's and 3rd's out there.

Poor series that from us, with the three consecutive penalties. Time to be doing them though and no doubt Bill will be crushing testicles over it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

jesus lads i know a bit of bias is expected but the pats home commentators are terrible

nerd69 wrote: »
    jesus lads i know a bit of bias is expected but the pats home commentators are terrible
    Not much different from the away commentators (I hadn't changed the default away commentary in Game Pass).

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »

All home commentators are horrible to opposition fans. Roche is a NE native and been on Sports broadcasting for a long time and Christian Fauria played for the Pats and not that great as a commentator so going to be bias and a tad crap.

Finch looked good in that series, a real sneaky, tricky little munchkin.:D

Finch looked good in that series, a real sneaky, tricky little munchkin.:D

You're ok with munchkins at RB? I know were upset with our abundance of tiny WRs.

Butler continuing to impress.

Boyce with a poor drop, followed by a dumb penalty; then Tyms with a top catch for a TD.
    Even with the 4 game suspension, Tyms winning that battle.

Butler continuing to impress.

He certainly is, great ball hawking earlier to force the fumble.

Boyce with a poor drop, followed by a dumb penalty; then Tyms with a top catch for a TD.
    Even with the 4 game suspension, Tyms winning that battle.

Absolutely agree with you there. Right now, Tyms is a cert for me. He also has similar size and a catch radius to Dobson, which is something we've lacked in recent years.

Deleted my earlier post because my reply last night was tired & lazy.
    You're ok with munchkins at RB?

Of course I'm O.K. with a munchkin RB and I'll refresh your memory back to this thread, during last FA period. I wanted us to sign Darren Sproles, another quick, sneaky little RB. Every RB corp needs at least one on their roster imo. And I was disappointed when we didn't move for him. But Bill being Bill, it looks like he has made cheaper, more cost effective moves in that area.
    I know were upset with our abundance of tiny WRs.

Yes, I was not happy with our previous over abundance of smaller slot WR's. And a WR corp that offered no consistent wide/deep threat to stretch the field. The lack of such a threat, is perfectly illustrated in our last two AFC title game losses. With La Fell, Dobson, Thompkins and potentially Tyms now on the roster. We now have the kind of WR threat we have sorely missed. Edelman and Amendola are excellent in their roles and two quality slots is more than enough imo. Now we have a WR corp, that can potentially bring a more balanced, more dynamic threat and I'm quite happy about that.

Personally, I don't see the logical comparison between a short RB and a short WR. Both have completely different skill sets and roles within the offense. A shorter RB won't limit your run game. But a shorter WR can limit you passing game. A short RB can perform any task that a taller colleague can do. A shorter WR, well it would be very rare to see a 5'8" WR out jumping & out competing a 6'1" CB on a deep route down field.

Sorry Corv, was just winding you up. I just remembered how vocal you are about all the midgets. I loved Woodhead and didn't want him to go last year myself.

Sorry Corv, was just winding you up. I just remembered how vocal you are about all the midgets. I loved Woodhead and didn't want him to go last year myself.

Cool and honestly, I didn't interpret your post as a wind up. When I logged on earlier, I thought my reply last night was pretty lazy on my part and needed some further elaboration. And ye all know at this stage what I'm like for yapping on.

RE: Woodhead? I think most Pats loved the little guy. Letting him go was a big mistake and he wouldn't have broke the bank to keep :(. It really came back to bite us when we lost Vereen for that stretch last year. Because we had nobody capable of catching the pass out of the backfield the way Woody could.

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    Brady Picked off by Cary Williams of all people on the first drive.

You might want to sit down before you read this.....
    The New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles had just concluded Friday night's preseason game and coach Bill Belichick stayed on the field to shake hands with several Philadelphia players. Soon enough, in a flurry of black Eagles jerseys, Belichick somehow wound up across from cornerback Cary Williams, who earlier this month referred to the Patriots as cheaters. By the end of their brief conversation, they shared an embrace.

"I told him I was sorry for the words that I said. That was just out of pure emotion, sometimes you say things without really thinking about them," Williams said to ESPN.com after the game

"That was a situation where playing these guys in the playoffs [while Williams was with the Baltimore Ravens], you develop a hate for them and you try to use any type of anything to get your mind on, or get going. In that situation, I could have chosen my words a little bit wiser.

"But it's mutual respect between two men. We were able to come together. I told him that I was sorry and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the organization and him as a GM and a coach."

Williams was asked how Belichick responded to his remarks.

"He said there were no hard feelings and he said he appreciated the comments I made this week, and things like that," Williams said. "It was just two guys respecting each other, understanding that there is some history there. It's not necessarily bad blood but it's the spirit of competition. I said some things I wish I could take back."

Williams had been critical of the Eagles holding joint practices with the Patriots before Friday's preseason game, but changed his tune once he arrived here for three sessions with New England.

"Tom Brady is a wonderful quarterback," Williams said earlier this week. "He's a guy that is definitely a true Hall of Famer. He's a great leader. Those guys are class acts. I've got a lot of respect for this organization, especially the players who play within it. I've always had respect for the guys. I just made a statement and that was that."

Williams added that his meeting with Belichick after Friday night's game came by chance.

"I know, with experience, sometimes he will shake the coach's hand and he's running back to the locker room. That's my first time ever seeing him after a game," Williams said. "I really wasn't looking and he just came up to me, and we were right there.

"We just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and he said what he said, and I said what I said, and there's nothing but mutual respect."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11360008/cary-williams-philadelphia-eagles-leaves-preseason-game-new-england-patriots-hamstring-injury?ex_cid=espnapi_public

So Bill went to him on the field and initiated the contact. That's our Bill, old skool, classy and an eye to eye kind of guy with no bullshít. And fair play to Williams for stepping up like a man and admitting his silly comments were nothing but thrash talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Tommy Kelly and Will Smith cut. Disappointed that Kelly is gone. Has been really solid for us. I'm going it's more to do with Easley being good to go rather than Kelly struggling to overcome his own injury.

Kelly has been with the first team defensive unit all camp & preseason, so his release is a surprise for me. No harm though that Bill seems to be moving towards a young & aggressive front 7, that will be playing out of a 3-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Tommy Kelly and Will Smith cut. Disappointed that Kelly is gone. Has been really solid for us. I'm going it's more to do with Easley being good to go rather than Kelly struggling to overcome his own injury.

Have to say im shocked by that now! Re: Kelly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans are having a few D line issues at the min so there is some thought we'll try to sign him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Slight surprise. We all know that we shouldn't really be surprised by anything that goes on in this regard.

Looking back to the third preseason game, the only preseason game every year which is probably the closest to a real game. A couple of thing jumped out a me.

KT showed the inconsistency he needs to get rid of. He made a nice reception on a 3rd & 19 from Brady. He then made an absolutely terribly drop on the next play. Brady got great pass protection on the play, waited for KT and then put the ball right on the money. KT got wide open, catches the ball centre mass on his chest and drops it inexplicably. On a positive note, the very next play Brady went right back to KT and he makes the catch. For me that showed the trust Brady has developed with KT and it was good to see KT put the bad drop out of his head on the next play.

Julian Incredibleman again showed he is on a different level to the rest of our WR corp. He was a flawless 8 for 8 with Brady.

Very disappointed that Brian Tyms still hasn't had a run out with Brady. Because he continues to be consistent and show his talent and threat down the field. No way will he clear waivers and make it to the practice squad.

The O line provided some very good pass protection during the game. But their run platform didn't have a good night at all.

Brandon Browner has been pretty unimpressive in the last two games. He played the 4th quarter against 3rd & 4th stringers and was burned on a couple of routes. You don't want to see that happening to a potential starter. I'll go back to my original opinion after we signed him and say I think we should have tried him at SS.

Good to see Dennard back on the field and healthy again. For me, he starts opposite Revis all the time.

Logan Ryan needs to wake up and get back to last seasons form. I hope he's not going to do an Arrington - have a great first season and then slide backwards.

Malcolm Butler continues to impress at CB. Even when he was beaten with a couple of passes, he has been right on the money, millimeters from breaking up the pass. His coverage is very good and his concentration levels are impressive.

The front seven had an very good run out. As usual Nink sets the tone. Jones showed some dominating versatility and had a very good night.

And now for the most meaningless game of preseason, the final one.

Kelly will be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

This time last year, most Pats fans I know we're off the opinion that Welker was endangering his health by playing with Manning. And trying to catch some of his dangerous passes. One year on and he's now on his third concussion :(. He really needs to think about his long term future now, if he doesn't want to end up a vegetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I thought it was a very positive performance against Carolina, particularly from the D. Garropola looked very composed in the pocket, like a shorter Brady at times!

As the commentators noted, compare that 3rd preseason game to last seasons against the Lions, and we are in much better shape!

With regard Tyms, I believe he won't count against the roster until the 4 game suspension is up. By then all teams will have their 53, so he might clear waivers and make it onto the practice squad, unless an injury allows him to remain on the roster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement