Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Switzerland

Options
  • 24-07-2015 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an interview for a position in Switzerland. It will be a contract role and pay will be around 100 CHF/hour. I am currently on €45,000 in Dublin and can live reasonably comfortable on that. I don't have any dependants and if I get the position I will be moving out there on my own.

Is this a good wage to live on in Zurich?

Thanks,
    Bener.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Is this the gross rate from the agency or what? Usually they deduct from such a rate: double social welfare contribution, double pension and direct taxes. Ask them to give you a worked example of what your net monthly wage would be.

Of course you could live on this rate in Zurich as there are many people with much lower salaries than that. But I would consider it the bottom line from the point of an IT contractor, as when you take everything into consideration it is about the same as a fixed employee.

This government site should give you some details about living over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As Jim points out it really comes down to what your net income is.

Second consideration is how long is the contract? If a year or more then you'll get a B permit, less and you'll only get an L, which will mean you'll have far more hassle renting accommodation, setting up a bank account, subscribing to a mobile network, etc.

As to accommodation, apartments don't come furnished unless you get a short-term lease for one and they work out a lot more expensive (I'd guess about 150% the normal cost). If your contract is for under a year, you may not be able to get anything other than a short term lease.

When choosing where to live, naturally Zurich city is going to be expensive. It's worth your while to check the suburbs and nearby cities, like Winterthur, as the public transport system is very efficient. If you go to the SBB Web site and plug in the address of your work place and of the apartment you're looking at, it'll give you a to the minute journey time (including walking) and this will give you a far more realistic idea of where you can live.

Advertisement