Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching 50

Options
  • 28-04-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

My Husband will be 50 in a few months and I must say he is not taking it too good, Any other year he would just say it only a number but not this year while he's not sitting moping about it I feel a slight depression is slipping in, on the positive side he has taken up walking and hiking, As he says himself he doesn't like what he sees in the mirror but then many of us at sometime I sure have said that, Would love anyone views on how they felt when they reached 50 or how do you think you would feel approaching your 50s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

50 was a good while ago for me. I turned 50 in college, then (as I am sure I have said before) was self employed, then teaching till I retired. Now I have other interests that keep me going. No point moping about 50 its just a number and a challenge to get even more out of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Getting to 50 seemed like just another day.

I would give my eye teeth to be 50 again

You still have your eye teeth Olddog? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

looksee wrote: »
    You still have your eye teeth Olddog? :P

Yup,

No hair, Dodgy eyes, Bad Knees and dont even mention the Poor Feet :o

but I still have the Oul Eye Teeth:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I remember 30. I remember 40. They were great numbers. 50! Now that's a different number entirely and can be worrying when you approach it at first. I remember not really liking that number, mainly because it was nearer to 60 than 49 ever was. 60! Now that's what I call a number. Its big, its round, it can take on all the other numbers and still come back for more. I remember taking 60 and wanting to give back 30 but found it wasn't possible. I managed to pass 60 by on my tippy-toes and hoped it wouldn't notice. Now I continue tippy-toeing around my 60's and being particularly frightened by the number 70 looming in the distance ahead. I am hoping that by the time I reach the number 70 I will manage to skip past it or at least scurry behind it before it can catch me. Then I will have ten more years to plan my assault on the number 80.
    Tell Mr. Blackbird to fear not. 50 can be conquered. His hiking will get him into shape to take on 60 and win! Rock on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

A teeny weeny bit past 50 here to. 50 is just a number it's just all the hype of having the big 50th birthday party that makes you more wary off it.

Party? What party? I never got no party! I think I'm owed a party!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Party? What party? I never got no party! I think I'm owed a party!

You and me both I never had one either a cake had too do me

CAKE? You lucky ducky you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

50 is the new 30.........and tell him it's better than the alternative;)

Seriously though my attitude is life is for living no matter how many candles are on the cake. He will look back in a few years and wonder what all the fuss on reaching 50 was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

lulu1 wrote: »
    A teeny weeny bit past 50 here to. 50 is just a number it's just all the hype of having the big 50th birthday party that makes you more wary off it.

He doesn't and he won't be having a party

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I remember 30. I remember 40. They were great numbers. 50! Now that's a different number entirely and can be worrying when you approach it at first. I remember not really liking that number, mainly because it was nearer to 60 than 49 ever was. 60! Now that's what I call a number. Its big, its round, it can take on all the other numbers and still come back for more. I remember taking 60 and wanting to give back 30 but found it wasn't possible. I managed to pass 60 by on my tippy-toes and hoped it wouldn't notice. Now I continue tippy-toeing around my 60's and being particularly frightened by the number 70 looming in the distance ahead. I am hoping that by the time I reach the number 70 I will manage to skip past it or at least scurry behind it before it can catch me. Then I will have ten more years to plan my assault on the number 80.
    Tell Mr. Blackbird to fear not. 50 can be conquered. His hiking will get him into shape to take on 60 and win! Rock on!

Enjoyed reading this, hope he take this all on board😄

Yes, in spite of all the enthused wittering from me, I am not particularly entertained by the impending seven-oh!

Blackbird show op this.

I love to live

Today dear lord i'm 80 and there's much i haven't done. I hope dear lord you'll let me live until i'm 81
    But then if I haven't finished all i want to do Will you let me stay another while until i'm 82
    There's so many places I want to go so much I want to see do you think that you could manage to make it 83
    The would is changing very fast there's so very much in store, do you think that you could stretch it until i'm 84
    And if by then if i'm still alive I'd like to stay till 85
    So many things are going on so around i would like to stick and see whats happening in the world when i am 86
    I know dear lord it's much to ask(and it must be nice in heaven) but honestly i'd like to stay until i'm 87
    I know by then i will be slow and very often late but i'd really love to be around at the age of 88
    I will have done so many things and had a brilliant time so i'm sure i will be ready when i am 89
    There's just one thing i'd like to say and i will ask you kindly is there any chance that i could stay until I am 90

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Blackbird! Take him away somewhere far from the madding crowd that ''expect'' a party. I took meself an' himself off last year for mine. No circus..just went mad when we felt like it. Which was a lot in 3 weeks ;)

Speaking of eye teeth... I'm up with a toothache...in an eye tooth.

I'll sell to the highest bidder!

PS: Is it possible to have pain in a root canal? (Different tooth)

Sorry to hear of your pain Chuckie. A visit to the dreaded dentist is on the cards I fear. Hope you get over it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

what is an eye tooth anyway?

Rubecula wrote: »
    what is an eye tooth anyway?

Is an eye tooth not the one in line with your eye that's what I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

In our youth we treasured every single birthday. As we get older we began for only mark the half decades,25, 30, 35. After that we began to forget about the half decades and only mark the birthdays with a naught in them,40, 50, 60. When I reach 100 I'm only going to count my birthdays in centuries.

50 is a big marker for us all, don't trivialise it but remind him that life continues (and for a lot of us it actually gets better). It is a time of reflection and dragging up past mistakes, reflections on what might have been, missed opportunities. That is not a bad thing, it's cathartic, it lets you see what you really have achieved and what you truly are grateful in your life.

My missus and myself are born within a few days of each other so we celebrated our "double half century" in a pub with our friends...mostly because I wanted to get lots of presents. Couldn't have wanted more than that. We had talked about going abroad, or hiring a hall for a big party, about buying ourselves a vintage car. We have dozens of potential plans but when push came to shove we just wanted to be surrounded by our friends, having a laugh, swooping war stories and taking the piss out of everyone younger then us.

50 is more than just a number...yet it's just a number. Don't sweat it, he'll accept it and get on with life. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

My daughter gave me a lovely present for my 50th. She raided my Mam and sisters photo albums and made copies of 50 photos of me from a bald baby to present day and it's one of my all time favourite gifts. It only filled half the album. She says either she'll fill the rest for my 100th or I can add some from time to time myself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement