Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Retainers

Options
  • 24-11-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

My mam threw her retainers in the bin (by accident, obviously), and has been quoted €400 by her orthodontist to replace both top and bottom.

I was wondering whether there was a less expensive way to replace them. I went through my orthodontist when I lost mine, and it was only €100, but I got them from a dental technician.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Nicola20 wrote: »
    My mam threw her retainers in the bin (by accident, obviously), and has been quoted €400 by her orthodontist to replace both top and bottom.

I was wondering whether there was a less expensive way to replace them. I went through my orthodontist when I lost mine, and it was only €100, but I got them from a dental technician.

At €400 are you sure they are retainers and not removable appliances?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nicola20

Hi, thanks for your reply - yes, they are retainers.

I was hoping that there was some way we could skip the middle man and get them cheaper by getting the mold and bringing it to a technician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hawley retainers could cost that much, 400 seems a lot for Essex type. Find out what type they were first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nicola20

Just checked, they are Hawley retainers.

Just thought the price was mad, I have Hawley retainers too and when I got them replaced, it was €100 for the set. We do have different orthodontists, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Nicola20 wrote: »
    Just checked, they are Hawley retainers.

Just thought the price was mad, I have Hawley retainers too and when I got them replaced, it was €100 for the set. We do have different orthodontists, though.

Technicians make retainers according to design prescribed by the orthodontist. These types of retainers use bows to retain teeth, too much force and the push teeth, not enough and they allow teeth to move.

By all means have a lab tech make them and cut out the middleman (orthodontist) but if they are not made precisely as the orthodontist would want them made, you will have to accept the consequences if the teeth move out of position. That'll cost a few quid more than €400 to correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I just checked my labs price list and they charge me more than 100 euro for a hawley retainer. Add in the clinical time for the impressions and adjustment and 200 euro per retainer is not off the wall. Hawley retainers need careful adjustment. Too often the labial bow is not retaining the teeth. They are however a very durable retainer and can last for years unlike the Essix type and they don't interfere with the bite.

Advertisement