Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better place to study computer science??

Options
  • 20-08-2014 1:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is in reference to the range of ICT conversion courses that are on springboardcourses.ie at the moment.

I had initially applied for the Software Design and Development course at NUIG, but due to high application numbers, I was unsuccessful.

Back looking at the moment, there are a number of other ICT conversion courses available, but regarding which would suit me best, and particularly, where to do it, is of concern to me.

springboardcourses.ie/results?keywords=&conversion=1

25 courses listed in total

Would it be more advantageous to do a course at an IT or a University??
    University of Limrick, or NUI Maynooth both have options.
    IT wise, GMIT, Tralee, and Tallaght.
    Then, Dublin Business School.

Can someone spell out for me what exactly are the variations between the 90 credit courses and the 60 credit courses.

I'm coming from a Civil Engineering background and looking to upskill after a career break, to get back into the workforce.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Hi there, on the course selection, it should relate to the area of IT in which you would like to work. In truth, the IT conversion courses at most of the third level institutions are pretty much the same across the board. An NUI might catch the eye of some employers, as opposed to another third level institution but most would be more interested in your technical ability. Read through the courses modules and see what catches your eye.

60 ECTS credits, relates to 1500–1800 hours of study on your topic, which equates to one year. They generally result in a minor award from the educational body. 90 ECTS courses relate to a major award and the generally have that bit extra in them, such as a year end project or work experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Berserker wrote: »
    Hi there, on the course selection, it should relate to the area of IT in which you would like to work. In truth, the IT conversion courses at most of the third level institutions are pretty much the same across the board. An NUI might catch the eye of some employers, as opposed to another third level institution but most would be more interested in your technical ability. Read through the courses modules and see what catches your eye.

60 ECTS credits, relates to 1500–1800 hours of study on your topic, which equates to one year. They generally result in a minor award from the educational body. 90 ECTS courses relate to a major award and the generally have that bit extra in them, such as a year end project or work experience.

In terms of presentation to an employer, would a 90 credit course come across more favorably?
    Or would it come down more so to, how you described, technical ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In terms of presentation to an employer, would a 90 credit course come across more favorably?

I think an employer would be more concerned with the level (e.g. Ordinary Level 7, honours level 8 or Masters, level 9) than the credit hours. This would be stipulated in the minimum requirements. Perceptions on technical ability and competence would be be elicited during interviews and possibly tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

As Tom said, it wouldn't really come into the equation. They wouldn't know what the credits were for your course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Okay so, it was initially disappointing to not have been accepted the the University for this course, but a "computer science" course at GMIT has been offered.

From the general feedback here, ultimately, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference in terms of outcome, where I take the course?

Just to get some kind of feedback on that before I make a decision to go ahead and accept the GMIT course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement