Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations on first Ultra

• 14-08-2015 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Done half-a-dozen full marathons now, so looking to do my first Ultra. Any recommendations on ones in Ireland? I could handle 50 miles first time out I think with training, let's leave the three figure ones for later...:)

I heard good things about the Connemara Ultra (I have done a halfie there) and Vartry... comments?

Other suggestion welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

First point, don't think you have to work you way through the distances. Just pick a race you want to do and go for it.

second point... probably a good idea to decide if you want to aim at road/track style ultras, or more trail/mountain oriented ultras.

Connemara is easy progression from marathon. The same training would do, just making tweaks here and there. For me the biggest disadvantage of Conn (and all the 39.3 mile ultras in Ireland) is that its a completely non-standard distance. It's a nice course some of the best views in Ireland, well organised, and has plenty going on with the other two races sharing the course.

Which Varty distance were you thinking of? Vartry has the advantage of being a lapped route. which means aid stations etc are more easily organised. Some people prefer a more linear course rather than lapped though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Headphones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'm in a similar boat.
    Training for DCM not going well this year due to injury.

Am looking at doing the 51km Wicklow Way Ultra in March, that might be a little short for you.
    I'm hoping to have gone longer by the time the race comes around and will be using that Wicklow Way Ultra to see how I would be sorted for a stab at the 127km Wicklow Way Race either the same year or the following year.

TheTubes wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat.
    Training for DCM not going well this year due to injury.

Am looking at doing the 51km Wicklow Way Ultra in March, that might be a little short for you.
    I'm hoping to have gone longer by the time the race comes around and will be using that Wicklow Way Ultra to see how I would be sorted for a stab at the 127km Wicklow Way Race either the same year or the following year.

It won't necessarily tell you that at all. WWR is more than 3 times as long as WWU (In terms of course records), and a very different pacing approach is required (And preferably a different training approach as well). It could very well be the case that you could be more suited to the longer race than the shorter race. The only way to find out if you'd be good at a particular course/distance is to actually go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Donadea 50km in feburary would be a great race to start moving up the distances with. Very well organised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

lukeeman wrote: »
    Donadea 50km in feburary would be a great race to start moving up the distances with. Very well organised

True, and a great race that I can highly recommend, but 50k is still very close in distance to a marathon.

My first recommendation for an ultra is always Connemara - still doable as a first ultra but long enough to provide a new challenge. These days there are also a couple of other ultras at the same 39.3 miles distance, e.g. Longford and Achill Island.

True, and a great race that I can highly recommend, but 50k is still very close in distance to a marathon.

My first recommendation for an ultra is always Connemara - still doable as a first ultra but long enough to provide a new challenge. These days there are also a couple of other ultras at the same 39.3 miles distance, e.g. Longford and Achill Island.

Your right Thomas connemara a bigger step up, but Donadea would be a good warm up for connemara ultra and plenty of time to recover.

lukeeman wrote: »
    Your right Thomas connemara a bigger step up, but Donadea would be a good warm up for connemara ultra and plenty of time to recover.

I got slated a few times for calling a 50k a mismeasured marathon but that's still how I think of them.

Of course a 50k is an bona-fide ultra, I'm not disputing that for a second, but it does not require any extra fitness compared to a marathon. In fact, that's still mostly true for 39 miles as well. If you are fit enough to run a marathon then you can run those distances as long as you pace yourself correctly.

It's when you step further up that it becomes a different type of race.

Having said all that, running Donadea as a stepping stone for Connemara is indeed a tried and trusted way of getting into ultras.

Connemara isn't that big a step up either. It's still a race you could do off marathon training, as it's only 50% longer. That's a big advantage in a lot of ways, but in terms of getting new experiences with big distances its a bit tame IMHO, frankly. It's also a completely non-standard distance. Don't get me wrong... its still a good race, with outstanding scenery etc.

Cross posting.... snap! I think we're both saying the same thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

The new company that took over connemara have ruined it in my opinion. The number collection was a farce and lots of people were told there was no top for them when they eventually got to the counter after long waits. Aid stations for the ultra reduced to water only. Still a decent race scenery wise but i wont be doing it again. 70 quid although not the dearest out there, id still be expecting more.
    in my opinion donadea 50k is a faboulous race. Well organised and well stocked aid stations. Decent forest loop with no real hiils in it so decent time is there for the taking. Id never describe this as a stepping stong to connemara. Id say its superior.
    vartry is another faboulous race. Did the 100 mile up there and the 10 mile loops were great. Very well stocked aid stations. So well organised for a first time race. I know the race directors personally for the last 2 races. They are races organised by runners for runners

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Didn't do Connemara Ultra this year but all previous years I've really enjoyed it and would recommend it, the organiser of the event did change this year and I've heard mixed things about how things went on the day so not sure if its still as well organised as previous years.

Did the Vartry 50mile in April, very well organized event and the 10mile loop is a nice long loop...much better then events with 5km loops. I'd recommend it and will be back to do the 50 or 100mile next year. Its awful handy to be able to have all your stuff at the finish line so you can pick stuff up during each loop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    The new company that took over connemara have ruined it in my opinion. The number collection was a farce and lots of people were told there was no top for them when they eventually got to the counter after long waits.

I heard issues about the finish, marathon runners being given Ultra finishing tops and stuff like that. Ok, it only matters if you care about the top but they are still silly mistakes to be making.

Sad to hear about such a previously well organised event go this way,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Here's the three I've run to prepare for Comrades for the past few years:
    1. Eddie Murphy memorial 30m (Nov)
    2. Donedea 50k (Feb)
    3. Conn Ultra (Apr)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Id never describe this as a stepping stong to connemara. Id say its superior.

It's still a stepping stone as far as incrementing the distance is concerned.

I didn't run Connemara this year because there was that other little race that I did on the same weekend instead so I can't comment on the new organisation. It would be a crying shame if the race was ruined though, it was basically my favourite race bar none. I'd still be hopeful that the new organisers will manage to sort out any issues with a year's experience behind them.

Using the words step up i meant in distance not quality, Having done Donadea ,Staplestown 50 and Vartry 100 i would rang them up at the top race's in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned that ultra that takes place in the winter in the middle of the night and you have to fight your way through the darkness on an unmarked course in the mountains all the way to the middle of Wickla! Deadly it is.

Or are we trying to keep that one a secret to increase our chances of getting an entry?

Because I sure am!

Advertisement