Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Hi Dempsey, I recommend you read celtic minded and celtic minded2 to understand these things.
    Don't be daft mate I have been told on here there's no such thing as being Celtic minded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dempsey wrote: »
    I did misinterpret what he meant by "I still have the letter", I hold my hand up on that.

Fair play.I wasnt trying to have a go at you but i just couldnt believe ther ewas such a letter.

Answer me this, why are Rangers fans so ashamed of the policy and why wasnt the club upfront about it. What was the reason behind starting the policy?

Thing is, i doubt if all rangers fans are ashamed of it

I did misinterpret what he meant by "I still have the letter", I hold my hand up on that.

Fair play.I wasnt trying to have a go at you but i just couldnt believe ther ewas such a letter.
    I am willing to bet the letter does not say he was not signed by Rangers for reasons of religion

Answer me this, why are Rangers fans so ashamed of the policy and why wasnt the club upfront about it. What was the reason behind starting the policy?

Thing is, i doubt if all rangers fans are ashamed of it
    That's not a shock I have already stated that you know it must be great when you support a club that has nothing to be ashamed of I hope with all the superiority Celtic fans feel the Halo's don't slip and choke them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

From what i can gather and from the books i mentioned at one stage in glasgow there were over 60 anti catholic organisations and only something like 39 catholics in the whole of glasgow!!! BBE the book actually goes on to explain why certain things are relevant today and unfortunately historical baggage is at the root of many issues. In the early 2000's the then scottish parliament and its website "one scotland many cultures" makes no mention of the irish (the largest group of emigrants to scotland ever) and were discriminated against in all aspects of life. Yet theres is mention of indians , pakistanis, italians etc so by removing/ whitewashing history many 3rd or 4th generational irish do feel more irish than scottish. I saw it myself when celtic players were jeered playing for scotland. The irish went to watch celtic to express their irishness and many of them had to repress their irishness in jobs etc. All i am saying is that the book/s explain that the more people are told that they are scottish/british the more they will cling to their irishness.

In my opinion its against this backdrop that rangers signing policy should be seen. I thought it was discriminatory but i didn't lose sleep over it, infact many of celtics heroes were protestant such as stein, mcgrain, provan, dalgleish. What pissed me off in recent years was gordon strachan who was not of the "celtic background" was given alot of stick and i felt he was hounded out because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hi Dempsey, I recommend you read celtic minded and celtic minded2 to understand these things.

Gimme a synopsis of what they are about
    Unfortunatley not all of them are but the biggest majority are so it has changed I don't speak for others as far as I am concerned it was wrong why did the club go down that route I have no idea and I doubt anyone could give a definitive reason as to why the club put that policy in place.

Now you tell me why after all these years of it being done away with do Celtic fans need to continually harp on about it. Does it make you feel superior it shouldn't

Back in the Bill Struth era, do you think Rangers fans were ashamed of the policy? When Jock Stein, a protestant, mocked the policy, were Rangers fans of that era ashamed of the policy? Even ye signed Mo Johnston, the support of the policy was still strong. For a very long time your club and fans of the day were proud of this carry on. Rangers fans were never ashamed enough to protest against it and force the club to change

Now that its been done away with and public opinion is very much against the policy, its easy to condemn it and you can distance yourself all you like from it but why should anyone forget that it happened? You want everyone to remember all the successes during that time but not your biggest failure as a club. Like it or not, its a cross you are going to have to carry if you support Rangers.

Thats my opinion of it, I dont speak for anyone else.
    Don't be daft mate I have been told on here there's no such thing as being Celtic minded

Whats the definition of being 'Celtic Minded'?

From what i can gather and from the books i mentioned at one stage in glasgow there were over 60 anti catholic organisations and only something like 39 catholics in the whole of glasgow!!! BBE the book actually goes on to explain why certain things are relevant today and unfortunately historical baggage is at the root of many issues. In the early 2000's the then scottish parliament and its website "one scotland many cultures" makes no mention of the irish (the largest group of emigrants to scotland ever) and were discriminated against in all aspects of life. Yet theres is mention of indians , pakistanis, italians etc so by removing/ whitewashing history many 3rd or 4th generational irish do feel more irish than scottish. I saw it myself when celtic players were jeered playing for scotland. The irish went to watch celtic to express their irishness and many of them had to repress their irishness in jobs etc. All i am saying is that the book/s explain that the more people are told that they are scottish/british the more they will cling to their irishness.

In my opinion its against this backdrop that rangers signing policy should be seen. I thought it was discriminatory but i didn't lose sleep over it, infact many of celtics heroes were protestant such as stein, mcgrain, provan, dalgleish. What pissed me off in recent years was gordon strachan who was not of the "celtic background" was given alot of stick and i felt he was hounded out because of it.

Again I am not disagreeing there have been problems but we are discussing Rangers and I feel it is time to move on its been a fair few years since those dark days and it has become boring as I have said certain tic fans need to watch the halo doesn't slip

No offence mate but I am 57 years of age I know all about the McGrains and Dalgleish's and I thought they were great players

Gimme a synopsis of what they are about

Back in the Bill Struth era, do you think Rangers fans were ashamed of the policy? When Jock Stein, a protestant, mocked the policy, were Rangers fans of that era ashamed of the policy? Even ye signed Mo Johnston, the support of the policy was still strong. For a very long time your club and fans of the day were proud of this carry on. Rangers fans were never ashamed enough to protest against it.

Now that its been done away with and public opinion is very much against the policy, its easy to condemn it and you can distance yourself all you like from it but why should anyone forget that it happened? You want everyone to remember all the successes during that time but not your biggest failure as a club. Like it or not, its a cross you are going to have to carry if you support Rangers.

Thats my opinion of it, I dont speak for anyone else.

Whats the definition of being 'Celtic Minded'?

I have know idea why don't you ask the man who recommended you read the book

Fine if I have to carry that cross it didn't hurt anyone physically and I doubt mentally I would rather that than the cross you must have to carry for your clubs actions.
    I will take you harping on about my burden any day of the week and no I won't discuss your cross

I have know idea why don't you ask the man who recommended you read the book

Fine if I have to carry that cross it didn't hurt anyone physically and I doubt mentally I would rather that than the cross you must have to carry for your clubs actions.
    I will take you harping on about my burden any day of the week and no I won't discuss your cross

I quoted his post and I asked him, not you.

As for the 2nd paragraph, Rangers played no part in reinforcing sectarianism in Glasgow with that signing policy. If you really believe that then you'll believe anything.

• Advertisement

No offence taken, my point being that i dont care what religion, nationality any celtic player is. I agree time to move on from those days, i feel sorry for the ordinary decent rangers fans who want to save history and their club. i looked forward to seeing them there in large numbers for the first game since administration and feel they let themselves down with their party songs. Thats the part of rangers that i want to see gone it has no place in modern society.

I feel for them the same as i remember celtics darkest days but we were lucky to have wee fergus. celtic fans ploughed a fortune into the share issue/s and i am interested to see if that will happen at ibrox. No doubt you have been deceived by sdm and whyte and more so by the scottish media who were sleepwalking when this unfolded.

Hi Dempsey, i think ur being too hard on BBE, its not his fault the signing policy. We have our crosses, if BBE is referring to the BJK, i don't like the BJK chants as i think its a slur on his good name but i am disgusted if there was a cover up with Torbret if thats his name and i read ally brazils comments as a child and he never got to play for celtics first team.

I often look at celtic and the way its run and it reminds me of the way ireland is governed with a nod and wink. Look at the cronyism in ireland and the small man loses out , similar to peter lawwell saying they will spend money on players etec etc to sell season books yet he downsized and lost 14k season book holders in 2 years. With lipservice to "best fans in world" crap every year.

Hi Dempsey, i think ur being too hard on BBE, its not his fault the signing policy. We have our crosses, if BBE is referring to the BJK, i don't like the BJK chants as i think its a slur on his good name but i am disgusted if there was a cover up with Torbret if thats his name and i read ally brazils comments as a child and he never got to play for celtics first team.

I often look at celtic and the way its run and it reminds me of the way ireland is governed with a nod and wink. Look at the cronyism in ireland and the small man loses out , similar to peter lawwell saying they will spend money on players etec etc to sell season books yet he downsized and lost 14k season book holders in 2 years. With lipservice to "best fans in world" crap every year.

I never even implied that, just that he cant expect everyone to remember the clubs successes and forget their failures just because he's "moved on".

If you want to talk about Celtic then lets do that in the Celtic thread as this thread is off course as it is!

That's not a shock I have already stated that you know it must be great when you support a club that has nothing to be ashamed of I hope with all the superiority Celtic fans feel the Halo's don't slip and choke them

I'm not wearing any ****ing halo. Whats your problem? Didnt you agree earlier that many fans would not be ashamed? And what exactly have celtic fans to be ashamed of?

I am willing to bet the letter does not say he was not signed by Rangers for reasons of religion

of course it doesnt and he has accepted that

Hi shankse I agree on the BJK chants I detest them no matter what happened the man is not here to defend himself. But it was more your point in bold I was getting at.

I'm not wearing any ****ing halo. Whats your problem? Didnt you agree earlier that many fans would not be ashamed? And what exactly have celtic fans to be ashamed of?

Sorry I wasn't having a go at you I wrongly quoted your post.
    Well if Celtic fans are not ashamed of what happened RE: shanksepony's post then they should be or am I mistaken

Sorry I wasn't having a go at you I wrongly quoted your post.
    Well if Celtic fans are not ashamed of what happened RE: shanksepony's post then they should be or am I mistaken

Who would defend Jim Torbett for what he did? Nor would you find anyone jumping to the defence of the Kelly family.

Who would defend Jim Torbett for what he did? Nor would you find anyone jumping to the defence of the Kelly family.

No and very very few Rangers fans will defend our signing policy the big difference is most on if not all on this forum and thats all that matters in the context of the discussions we have would come on and continually have digs about Torbett etc. If you have a problem then at least go onto a forum where Rangers fans do defend that policy to the extreme.
    Or would that be to mannerly for you to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

So can we go back onto the administration issue and what the future may or may not hold? Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CloseLaptop.gif

CloseLaptop.gif

Very insightful input there

Very insightful input there

Cheers!!

Cheers!!

I actually meant to put a smiley face there still asleep

I actually meant to put a smiley face there still asleep

I know ya did.

Agree with Lubo though, be nice for thread to get back on topic.

I know ya did.

Agree with Lubo though, be nice for thread to get back on topic.

Agreed but I am fed up with the holier than though attitudes from certain posters on here mate

Agreed but I am fed up with the holier than though attitudes from certain posters on here mate

Totally understand, no problem with you at all, dont get me wrong. I would do same so I cant talk.

think I leave here before here for bit.

No and very very few Rangers fans will defend our signing policy the big difference is most on if not all on this forum and thats all that matters in the context of the discussions we have would come on and continually have digs about Torbett etc. If you have a problem then at least go onto a forum where Rangers fans do defend that policy to the extreme.
    Or would that be to mannerly for you to do

but there was a time when rangers fans were proud of the policy.

comparing the two scenarios is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Totally understand, no problem with you at all, dont get me wrong. I would do same so I cant talk.

think I leave here before here for bit.

Hardly surprising that supporters from the two teams with sectarian signing policies are agreeing with each other here!!!:D

• Advertisement

but there was a time when rangers fans were proud of the policy.

comparing the two scenarios is ridiculous.

No its not, not when Celtic supporters are in complete denial about certain aspects of it all.
    You really need to take a hard look at yourself it seems to me you have to resort to that time after time after time

Advertisement