Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L tabard

Options
  • 19-08-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

does anyone wear the above or is it not cool:cool: to do so anyone ever get a bolliken for not wearing one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

only wore one once, and i'll never have to wear one again! nothin ever said to me, been stopped at a fair few checkpoints

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

zzr wrote: »
    does anyone wear the above or is it not cool:cool: to do so anyone ever get a bolliken for not wearing one

been stopped twice, they never said anything about it. IMO it's only gonna make car drivers more idiotic around you, so fvck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

iv been forced to were one by the local traffic corp in waterford or else face a court apperance and fine since im not a full liscence holder and iv been driving bikes years on the provisional,i hate the feicn ting as since iv had to wear it none of the other bikers dare wave or nod at me anymore which annoys me as the same people used to nearly crash there bikes to make sure i seen them wave before the vest,some people point and stare and laugh when they see you drive down the road which makes you feel like a complete numpty and im in fear of my life over edjits in cars overtaking me in the most stupidest places and nearly forceing me off the road on a few occasions, i used to be a happy biker before the vest now all the ting dose is give me road rage and turning me of my bike ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I was once asked at a checkpoint and i told him i would wear it in future but never did,he told me it would be ok to put L plates onto the bike, i was going to but never bothered, another time I had parked on a path when a squad car pulls up with me being asked for license, show license and get told off about parking and no vest, told id be going to court if he seen me without it again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I don't know what they didn't copy the UK on this one and make people put an L plate on the bike. Or even better put a green reg on the bike to signify the learner permit (is it green ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

iv been forced to were one by the local traffic corp in waterford or else face a court apperance and fine since im not a full liscence holder and iv been driving bikes years on the provisional,i hate the feicn ting as since iv had to wear it none of the other bikers dare wave or nod at me anymore which annoys me as the same people used to nearly crash there bikes to make sure i seen them wave before the vest,some people point and stare and laugh when they see you drive down the road which makes you feel like a complete numpty and im in fear of my life over edjits in cars overtaking me in the most stupidest places and nearly forceing me off the road on a few occasions, i used to be a happy biker before the vest now all the ting dose is give me road rage and turning me of my bike ha

Not his fault your lazy, driving years on a provisional/permit is a joke. I would put money that your bike is also above the legal limit for a Permit. I don't particulary disagree with the whole post, but your attitude stinks.

For instance, a high vis vest is a very valuable thing to have on a bike. An have you considered sticking very small L symbols on it. I don't remember reading restrictions on size of the L's to be displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

There is a minimum size for the "L" on the tabards. Its about the same size as the L plates you see on cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I only wore one for when I was doing me test. Never again. Id feel like a right tit going around with one on riding a gsxr.

Not his fault your lazy, driving years on a provisional/permit is a joke. I would put money that your bike is also above the legal limit for a Permit. I don't particulary disagree with the whole post, but your attitude stinks.

For instance, a high vis vest is a very valuable thing to have on a bike. An have you considered sticking very small L symbols on it. I don't remember reading restrictions on size of the L's to be displayed.

hey cuddles,,who are you to judge me:D iv done my test and failed it alri and what has my bike got to do with it ,,,,im just saying from my own experience with the tabbard with a L plate on it is it sucks big time,,when i wasnt wearing 1 i had no problem scenarios biking from a to b and felt safe,now since wearing it im treated as a numpty who dosent know wot there doing on the road by some road users,,and also by the way if its not an offical tabbard with the red L on a white background in the big print its illegal aswell,reason i know a guard told me cause i tried that trick already ;),,they leave you off with notting,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭zzr

first off the whole idea is to make driving safer for motocyclist and other road users to alert them that you are LEARNING and to beware of this also if you are driving a bike on the wrong licence and you buck up the insurance company will walk away so your fooling no one but your self

• Advertisement

zzr wrote: »
    first off the whole idea is to make driving safer for motocyclist and other road users to alert them that you are LEARNING and to beware of this also if you are driving a bike on the wrong licence and you buck up the insurance company will walk away so your fooling no one but your self

cement mixer going on and on and on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭zzr

well some day you will grow up to lad and the other one will fall just give it time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Never felt safe with it on so never wore it, aslong as you're not acting the bollocks the guards aren't going to give you more than a giving out to for not wearing it. Usually if you say to them that cars tailgate you to try and bully you into moving over when you wear it they are sound enough. Just whatever you do make sure to keep the head down and don't argue with them or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

in all fairness to honeybadger I met him once. I have a full licence and he doesnt but what I was doing on the road the night I met him was fairly illegal and he was completely grand. Going by that night he is a better pilot than me.
    I didnt do anything mad like. I was dangerous on the bike and he wasnt. Full licence means shag all.
    Fair enough I might be better than him on the road when Im not acting the nob but just cos he on learners dont make him bad.

He has a lovely bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I used always wear a hi-viz vest but never with an L on it. Garda stopped me once and asked "c'mere, are you supposed to be wearing an L on that vest?" and I said I hadn't read of that but that I always wear the hi-viz vest as is. He told me I was grand and to head away (he'd stopped me for pulling out a junction in front of him, an early mistake when I started off on my bike).

Now I wear a Sam Browne belt and my armoured jacket, never been asked for licence by the Guards again and I certainly won't be wearing an L till I do my test because I think they'd make me feel unsafe and I've only ever seen 1 other person wear one but surely there's more peoeple in Cork on learner permits than that person!!! In fact I have talked to Guards about it and many of them think it's stupid, dangerous and not pursued by them really.

Ride in a safe manner, wear some proper gear, don't act the langer and put on a hi-viz vest or Sam Browne belt and you should be fine OP.

If you go around with runners and a tracksuit top on as protection then tough sh!t but if they see you're serious about your riding you show that you are trying to be safe.

seanybiker wrote: »
    in all fairness to honeybadger I met him once. I have a full licence and he doesnt but what I was doing on the road the night I met him was fairly illegal and he was completely grand. Going by that night he is a better pilot than me.
    I didnt do anything mad like. I was dangerous on the bike and he wasnt. Full licence means shag all.
    Fair enough I might be better than him on the road when Im not acting the nob but just cos he on learners dont make him bad.

He has a lovely bike.

illegal lol i say no more lol sshhhhh seany will ya lol

i used to wear one of those sam brown belts and had a L plate on me helmet aswell before i got the tabbard,,,they are a tidier idea for safety even tho there a lil more fiddlier to get on but there not acceptable for permit drivers,,,i used to get a buzz of the sam brown belt cause the min a car driver realise your wearing one a sam brown belt ya see the brake lights flash on cause they think your a garda biker,,so funny to see especialy wen the car driver has been speeding lol

Advertisement