Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Sprinting at 29

Options
  • 29-03-2013 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

As stated. About to turn 30 and going to retire from my rugby career as I seem to spend half the time out injured.
    I play wing and I'd be one of the quickest in the club.

I never got a chance to do athletics when I was younger and I had thought about giving it a go now. I'd love to have some competition to focus my training on but I get this impression (possibly unfounded) that the clubs wouldn't be too interested. Are they more interested in middle distance running and sprinting for underages?

Living in South Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Joe Hart wrote: »
    As stated. About to turn 30 and going to retire from my rugby career as I seem to spend half the time out injured.

I never got a chance to do athletics when I was younger and I had thought about giving it a go now. I'd love to have some competition to focus my training on but I get this impression (possibly unfounded) that the clubs wouldn't be too interested. Are they more interested in middle distance running and sprinting for underages?

Living in South Dublin.

DSD or Crusaders would be your best bet, and I'm sure they would be delighted to have somebody eager to be involved. Both clubs train at Irishtown. Chat to RandyMann, he took up sprinting at 38 or something so never too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

It's true most club focus on youngsters as they are more numerous. Being a bit out of the loop these days I'm sure others can give better advice. However, track-based clubs south of the river would be Tallaght and my club Crusaders. I'd say pop a post onto the latter's active Facebook page and see what the score is there right now with senior sprinters.

You're at a good age to take it up. And a good time of year too if you're rugby-fit. Get involved in the DAB graded meets and you'll soon see where you are in the scheme of things.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'm pretty sure you'll find a club that'd be happy to take you in. I started training with MSB's very small sprint group (2-5 people depending on the night) just after Christmas and haven't looked back. A couple of weeks after I started, a 31 year old with no sprinting background turned up, and is now well settled in, so there's no ageism involved! If you're set on staying on the south side, I'd agree that DSD or Crusader's are probably your best bet. My group trains at Irishtown on Mondays and Morton Stadium on Wednesdays, and you'd be more than welcome to come along if that suited you.

I was coming back to the sport after a 3 year hiatus, and I found the small group good for getting attention from the coach.

The graded races start in early May, so as RoryMcC says, now is a good time to join up with a club and get a few weeks track work done before the outdoor season kicks off.

Whatever club you choose, I look forward to seeing another sprint training log on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Cheers lads, very encouraging. Irishtown stadium looks to be the best bet, just find the right club now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rio 2016?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

How is the track in Irishtown? I over heard a couple a lads saying that the weather has caused a bit of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

How is the track in Irishtown? I over heard a couple a lads saying that the weather has caused a bit of damage.

The inside lane on the far side isn't in the greatest shape at the moment. It wouldn't bother me too much as a non sprinter but over 200/400/800 it wouldn't be ideal. I imagine they'll fix it up before the graded meets start up in a month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

RoyMcC wrote: »
    It's true most club focus on youngsters as they are more numerous.

Most clubs can't take anymore under age kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

I had an uncle(passed away now) who took up sprinting in his sixties, and started competing in the masters events at meets up and down the country and won loads,broke a national record at one stage. In his last race however he snapped his achilles,and never fully recovered.

Theres a lesson in there somewhere, not sure what it is though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

I had a look at this. People running sub 11s at 50!

Maybe that is my long term goal, to get near that level. And then turn up at some 5aside or rugby game looking like an old man and burn everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_masters_athletics#100_metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Maybe that is my long term goal, to get near that level. And then turn up at some 5aside or rugby game looking like an old man and burn everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_masters_athletics#100_metres

Willie Gault doesn't look like an old man. :D

willie-gault-2010-track-field-52nd-mt-san-0riwMT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Crusaders in Irishtown have a growing sprint group and you should come down to get a feel without any pressure to join. I am 40 and this is my second season competing in 100/200, enjoying it very much. There are two rugby players (young) that train with us to enhance their speed for the game.
    You wont look out of place with age as with me and another masters athlete there who is 57. Age should not be a factor in your decision to sprint.

RandyMann wrote: »
    Age should not be a factor in your decision to sprint.

I think it should be in a health sense. The sprint is a tremendous burst of energy. Truly is a young man's game. Hey, by all means try it out, but can the heart support you? And, is it doing the heart any good?

walshb wrote: »
    I think it should be in a health sense. The sprint is a tremendous burst of energy. Truly is a young man's game. Hey, by all means try it out, but can the heart support you? And, is it doing the heart any good?

Nah, not for a fit young bloke. OK if you're a fat 50-year old there might be an issue, but nothing is better than vigorous exercise to keep a heart strong.

Nah, not for a fit young bloke. OK if you're a fat 50-year old there might be an issue, but nothing is better than vigorous exercise to keep a heart strong.

Yes, for a fit and healthy enough 29 year old. I was more implying the older generation. It's such a powerfully aerobic activity. It is aerobic, isn't it?

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, for a fit and healthy enough 29 year old. I was more implying the older generation. It's such a powerfully aerobic activity. It is aerobic, isn't it?

It's mainly anaerobic. According to this, intense exercise lasting up to 30s is entirely anaerobic.

So 100m, 200m would be anaerobic, 400m would be mainly anaerobic with the degree of aerobicity depending on how fast you can get around.

It's mainly anaerobic. According to this, intense exercise lasting up to 30s is entirely anaerobic.

So 100m, 200m would be anaerobic, 400m would be mainly anaerobic with the degree of aerobicity depending on how fast you can get around.

I always get the two mixed up. Aerobic is more associated with sustained effort and use of oxygen. Anaerobic is more power bursts lasting less time and requiring less oxygen intake. 400 and above starts becoming more and more aerobic.

Living in South Dublin.

Any updates? Have you joined a club?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any updates? Have you joined a club?

His profile shows he's been site banned so doubt you;'ll get any update from him ;)

Cabaal wrote: »
    His profile shows he's been site banned so doubt you;'ll get any update from him ;)

:D fair enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I was pretty much in the same position as him. I just turned 30 and started sprinting as a Crusader on Tuesday/Thursdays at Irishtown Stadium last month.

I was doing the middle distance intervals for the first two months of the year but I don't really enjoy the longer stuff and it was incompatible with the Olympic Weightlifting I've been doing the past two years. Where as the sprinting is quite similar in the demands. Short and explosive and once I get over the increase in volume of trying to train both full on at the same time they should become complimentary to each other.

I'm digging it so far I enjoy the technical aspects of Sprinting and all the drills and what not that go along with it. It's going to take a while to get the technique down properly though. There are lot of things to try to remember to do!

Some of the lads were telling me about graded track meets starting soon so I'll probably give those a go even though I only started. It'll be good just so I get officially recorded times as a base to improve on.

token wrote: »
    I was pretty much in the same position as him. I just turned 30 and started sprinting as a Crusader on Tuesday/Thursdays at Irishtown Stadium last month.

Is Larry still the sprints coach there?

Is Larry still the sprints coach there?

The guy coaching at the sessions I've been at is Hugo. Though between him being sick and myself getting the flu for two weeks I've only been at two sessions so far with him there.

I was doing the middle distance intervals for the first two months of the year but I don't really enjoy the longer stuff and it was incompatible with the Olympic Weightlifting I've been doing the past two years. Where as the sprinting is quite similar in the demands. Short and explosive and once I get over the increase in volume of trying to train both full on at the same time they should become complimentary to each other.

Where did you learn to do the olympic lifting?

I'd like to start doing snatches and power snatches but I don't really know where to start. Can't even do an overhead squat properly at the moment because my shoulder flexibility isn't up to scratch!

Where did you learn to do the olympic lifting?

I'd like to start doing snatches and power snatches but I don't really know where to start. Can't even do an overhead squat properly at the moment because my shoulder flexibility isn't up to scratch!

I'm a member of East Coast Barbell in Blackrock accessible via Ironside Gym. There's a lot of new people joining at the moment as we've recently acquired a large room off from the main Ironside gym all to ourselves and there's a good club atmosphere growing there now.

Wayne Healy is the coach who still lifts himself and is very high level. There is a new website here http://eastcoastbarbell.com/ and new youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWRfI2goNp4iEHbjimtM9wg here.

I'm the guy "splitting" on the youtube channel. I've bad ankle and calf flexibility so I find that style of lifting suits me a lot better. It was the style everyone used until the 60's until some Chinese guy figured out you could lift more doing the now defacto squat style.

Chris the guy squatting in the latest video is a hurdler/sprinter who just recently switched completely to weightlifting. Turning into a beast!

I'm a member of East Coast Barbell in Blackrock accessible via Ironside Gym. There's a lot of new people joining at the moment as we've recently acquired a large room off from the main Ironside gym all to ourselves and there's a good club atmosphere growing there now.

Wayne Healy is the coach who still lifts himself and is very high level. There is a new website here http://eastcoastbarbell.com/ and new youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWRfI2goNp4iEHbjimtM9wg here.

I'm the guy "splitting" on the youtube channel. I've bad ankle and calf flexibility so I find that style of lifting suits me a lot better. It was the style everyone used until the 60's until some Chinese guy figured out you could lift more doing the now defacto squat style.

Chris the guy squatting in the latest video is a hurdler/sprinter who just recently switched completely to weightlifting. Turning into a beast!

Interesting, will think about it!

I know Chris actually, he was a few years ahead of me in Secondary school in Tralee, we both ran for the same club too.

Looks like he's gone into beast-mode these days, I agree!

Interesting, will think about it!

I know Chris actually, he was a few years ahead of me in Secondary school in Tralee, we both ran for the same club too.

Looks like he's gone into beast-mode these days, I agree!

Unfortunately he still won't be the best from Tralee. Have you heard of Clarence Kennedy?

Unfortunately he still won't be the best from Tralee. Have you heard of Clarence Kennedy?

You mean el Ninja?

Course I have!!

He used to do backflips over the steeplechase barriers at schools athletics meets.

You mean el Ninja?

Course I have!!

He used to do backflips over the steeplechase barriers at schools athletics meets.

Haha yep that's the one! He's off the charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LorenaADC

I've never done athletics before and I was thinking of taking up sprinting. I was big into squatting heavy {67kg} (I'm 18 and weight 63kg) but I stopped about 3 months ago and really let myself go I stopped running and I put on weight.
    Is it too late to start or take it up? Anyone else take up sprinting at the age of 18 and if so how did you find it?

Advertisement