Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G Won't Turn On

• 23-10-2014 11:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Basically during the day I went to check my phone in my pocket and the screen was black, it was still on but you can't see or interact with anything.

I rebooted it and still nothing so I thought I'd look it up when I got home.

Apparently it's something to do with a PlayStore update to Motorola Boot Services and it occurs in 1 in every million phones.

I've tried everything I could, stuff from Motorola's website like clearing cache and even factory resetting it but nothing seems to work.

I clear the cache or factory reset it goes through the boot animation and then back to the black screen.

I've tried flashing it via ADB and even though it sees the phone it can't actually flash it because the boot loader is locked and it's unrooted.

Going on holiday soon so I really don't want to send it off to repair and it was bought from Tesco England so I don't even know what the process would be.

Does anyone have any idea?

At a total loss here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kobe

I don't know will it work or not, but try press and hold power and volume down buttons, and charge the phone while continuing hold down the power button and volume down button.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Kobe wrote: »
    I don't know will it work or not, but try press and hold power and volume down buttons, and charge the phone while continuing hold down the power button and volume down button.

Tried that nothing, just keeps booting to the black screen.

sugarman wrote: »
    Have you got a screen protector on? Could just be dirt between the prox censor and screen protector, happened with my n4.. Near heart attack over something so simple, tho not so obvious.

Thanks for the help but I know it can't be that as I've had a screen protector on it since December and it's been grand!

I even tried using ADB Sideload but it just says that it can't install.

Whenever I tried using regular ADB it just say waiting for device even though all my devices are updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Do you need the phone when you head off on holidays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Moto G has a nice way to fully reset since it's a non removable battery - press and hold the power button only for about 18+ seconds.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Do you need the phone when you head off on holidays?

Yep, I need it to stay in contact with home and take pictures and stuff.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Moto G has a nice way to fully reset since it's a non removable battery - press and hold the power button only for about 18+ seconds.

Will try it when I get home but I'm not hopeful.

If I sent it off to repair does anyone know if it'd be back by 21/11/14 at the very latest?

sugarman wrote: »
    That's what I thought, had mine on for 6monts or so.. But the tiniest of dust jus managed to get under the corner where the sensor was.

Try peel it back a small bit and give it a wipe.

Tried it and no luck, thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

to be honest, no one can know when you'll get it back. The sooner you send it, the sooner its back.
    Are you sure you're covered having bought it from England? not sure of Motorolas or tescos policy.

I ended up ringing Tesco, took almost 3 hours and i got nowhere.

Had to explain to umpteen people about my very unique situation, they were all sympathetic and stuff.

Was told I'd be promised a call back by 10 and of course it didn't happen.

Will have to ring again tomorrow.

Sounds like you've soft bricked it. If you were rooted it'd be an easy fix. Not sure how'd you'd go about fixing an unrooted phone with no recovery installed.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Sounds like you've soft bricked it. If you were rooted it'd be an easy fix. Not sure how'd you'd go about fixing an unrooted phone with no recovery installed.

Have you any idea how I'd do that though?

Mind PMing me or posting here?

If I root I'll have to unlock the boot loader which will void my warranty, if I even have one that is!

How can you root it without getting it to turn on though? And yo'd have to somehow get a recovery installed too.
    You could then try flashing a new rom, not saying it'd work though.

Where did you see this about the 1 in a million update thing causing the trouble? i've looked and not seen anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

If I sent it off to repair does anyone know if it'd be back by 21/11/14 at the very latest?
    Be more wortwhile to buy a new one, will be close enough to the cost of potential repair and no delays. Tonnes for sale on Adverts for ~€100 and on Amazon new for near the same.

RossieMan wrote: »
    How can you root it without getting it to turn on though? And yo'd have to somehow get a recovery installed too.
    You could then try flashing a new rom, not saying it'd work though.

Where did you see this about the 1 in a million update thing causing the trouble? i've looked and not seen anything about it.

If you look up Moto G Black Screen After Boot it comes up with a thread on Motorola's forums and there's a post on there from an employee saying it.

I can access the bootloader and the stock recovery, tried factory resetting, clearing cache but nothing happens. It just reboots and goes back to the black screen.

I might just go for broke and try to root it, I'm just worried about loosing my warranty.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Be more wortwhile to buy a new one, will be close enough to the cost of potential repair and no delays. Tonnes for sale on Adverts for ~€100 and on Amazon new for near the same.

It was only bought in December though so it's covered by warranty.

Going in holidays in November so I honestly can't afford a new one.

An Update for those of you who've been following this.

I followed this video here after trying countless other methods and it worked!

My Moto G is now working fine.

I am elated right now! :)

fair play. Rooting a device is a must these days. I'd put a decent CWM or TWRP on it and always have a back up for future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement