Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Y550 (€100 4G smartphone) - First impressions

Options
  • 20-10-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up one of these on Friday. Have to say I'm pretty impressed. A lot of bang for the buck

- 4.5" screen, not as sharp as say the Moto G, but bright and very decent overall

- Build quality fairly decent. All plastic as to expected at this price - Feels good in hand and sturdy enough

- 5mp rear camera - pretty run of the mill I took some shots over the weekend but wholly acceptable for the price and there's an led flash too. 2mp front camera for Skype etc.

- Browsing performance I'm finding impressive on WiFi as well as 4G

- General performance fairly nippy - quad core chip and 1GB RAM jumping between apps etc is pretty fast, lag is minimal only time I encountered it was while auto updating apps in the background (to be expected). Haven't got a chance to try out any games yet.

- Sound quality is good , video quality is decent. Battery lasted me all Saturday and Sunday on a full charge with mixed use - seems pretty good. Battery is removable too if you want to buy a spare

- Internal storage is just 4gb, micro SD slot so no problem for me

- Runs Android 4.4. Wouldn't be too hopeful of update to Android 5. But you never know. The Huawei skin has no app drawer - your apps all go on the home screen(s) and can be organised there, either as individual icons or u can make folders. There's also a 'Simple' UI mode, with big icons for phone, messaging, camera etc aimed at the more casual user...

- Bluetooth, GPS, FM radio are all on board. No compass sensor if that's important to u. Light sensor on board for auto brightness.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now. I bought it on Meteor via Carphone Warehouse, not sure about other carriers as its just out.

Good deal for €100 I think!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

The moto E is only 80 on meteor
    Surely must be better?

I like the huaweis
    But they're not quite the value they were imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

The moto E is only 80 on meteor
    Surely must be better?

I like the huaweis
    But they're not quite the value they were imo

Spec-wise the Huawei beats it. For €100 you get a hell of a lot. That's not to say the Moto E isn't a right bargain itself. But for 20 quid more a faster more up to date processor and 4G that swung it for me. Moto E has a slightly better quality screen i gather, and the promise of Android 5.0 - which might be important to some

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

manual_man wrote: »
    Spec-wise the Huawei beats it. For €100 you get a hell of a lot. That's not to say the Moto E isn't a right bargain itself. But for 20 quid more a faster more up to date processor and 4G that swung it for me. Moto E has a slightly better quality screen i gather, and the promise of Android 5.0 - which might be important to some

Yes hood points
    The smart 4turbo can be got for 100€ switching and has 4.5 "screen, 1gb ram
    And same chipset, cpu gpu, as moto g

Another good fone at that price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Have you a link can only find Y530

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Just bought this phone from meteor. I was planning on unlocking it and using it on 3. There appears to be no meteor branding at all on the box, like moto g. Is this phone similar to the moto g which locks to the first sim that is put in?

I'd throw in a 3 sim to test but the phone is a gift for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

manual_man wrote: »

Another point in favour of the Y550 is that it has a front camera which the Moto E lacks. Not a big deal for some, but probably the most important feature for snapchatting teenagers/young adults.

Easily the best value for money handset available in shops at the moment. You'd need to step up to the Moto G for a significant upgrade over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

It does have a compass sensor...I'm using it right now.

Its only €79 on meteor now..

Its a very decent phone for the price. No lagging and its a 64bit Qualcomm 410 with adreno 306 GPU. Its a better chipset then the current moto G. I believe the next iteration of the moto G will have the same chip set as this phone.

It probably won't get lollipop though as for €79 you can't expect that.

The first y550 I got though had an obvious dead pixel on the screen though so this second one I have is acceptable.

Anyone looking for a very decent cheap phone then get one of these. I won't knock it at all its been reliable and the battery is great, screen is decent but not HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

mondeo wrote: »
    It does have a compass sensor...I'm using it right now.

Its only €79 on meteor now..

Its a very decent phone for the price. No lagging and its a 64bit Qualcomm 410 with adreno 306 GPU. Its a better chipset then the current moto G. I believe the next iteration of the moto G will have the same chip set as this phone.

It probably won't get lollipop though as for €79 you can't expect that.

The first y550 I got though had an obvious dead pixel on the screen though so this second one I have is acceptable.

Anyone looking for a very decent cheap phone then get one of these. I won't knock it at all its been reliable and the battery is great, screen is decent but not HD.

Just saw this on the meteor website and said i wouldd check here to see how it rates.

Thanks for the info think its worth a punt as ill only end up breaking whatever phone i get anyway and dont feel like splashing out 180 on a moto g to break it in 5-6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Simi wrote: »
    Another point in favour of the Y550 is that it has a front camera which the Moto E lacks. Not a big deal for some, but probably the most important feature for snapchatting teenagers/young adults.

Easily the best value for money handset available in shops at the moment. You'd need to step up to the Moto G for a significant upgrade over this.

The Y550 has a flash too and the camera is autofocus unlike that in the Moto E.The camera in the Moto E is pure rubbish anyway.

I'm really impressed with the Y550 ,its an absolute bargain at 79 euro .

The IPS screen doesnt have the highest resolution but its nice and once you root the phone you can lower the dpi from the standard 240 to 215dpi and it looks much nicer.
    The phone is relatively easy to root ,and only costs a couple of euro to unlock.
    Battery life is superb too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 costellon

Zardoz wrote: »

The IPS screen doesnt have the highest resolution but its nice and once you root the phone you can lower the dpi from the standard 240 to 215dpi and it looks much nicer.
    The phone is relatively easy to root ,and only costs a couple of euro to unlock.
    Battery life is superb too .

I have tried almost all of the "one click" rooting progs and none have worked ... I presume that you have rooted yours ... could you please point me in the right direction ?

costellon wrote: »
    I have tried almost all of the "one click" rooting progs and none have worked ... I presume that you have rooted yours ... could you please point me in the right direction ?

Here is the method I used
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57359697&postcount=13

I used this method to get my bootloader unlock code
    http://mate7.net/ascend-mate7-bootloader-unlock/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

How would the Galaxy Core Prime 4G compare to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 costellon

Zardoz wrote: »
    Here is the method I used

Thanks for the speedy reply, you had no problem doing this and it's stable ?

costellon wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy reply, you had no problem doing this and it's stable ?

Yip ,worked perfectly for me,only took a few minutes to do.
    Phone is rock solid since.

The only issue I have is that Nova Launcher or Google Now Launcher keep crashing on me after an hour or less.
    This was the case before rooting too so its not related to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Whats the camera quality like.

Pity about the compass. I miss that on my lumia.

beauf wrote: »
    Whats the camera quality like.

I havent used it much but its pretty decent quality .

Would this phone with an SD card be a rival for the Moto G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

sasta le wrote: »
    Would this phone with an SD card be a rival for the Moto G

if you mean the 4.5" Moto G no.

Main differences are

4GB of Ram vs 8GB
    Lower quality screen 480 x 854 pixels vs 720 x 1280 pixels
    Android (4.4) Emotion 2.3 UI vs Android (5.0, 4.4.4)

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Huawei-Ascend-Y550,Motorola-Moto-G/phones/8915,8208

The Y550 is a good bit cheaper though.

Still haven't decided with this or a Moto g
    Meteor send me a 50 euro off code on a upgrade phone so could get this for 40 euro,a case 10 and 32 fb card for 17 in argos

• Advertisement

sasta le wrote: »
    Still haven't decided with this or a Moto g
    Meteor send me a 50 euro off code on a upgrade phone so could get this for 40 euro,a case 10 and 32 fb card for 17 in argos

I'd go for the Y550 ,its worth it for only 40 euro.

I cannot fault it .
    Its really stable ,fast and has a great battery .
    Easy to root and unlock too.

Advertisement