Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

its coming! Google Nexus 9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

beno619 wrote: »
    From my understanding Lollipop isn't ready yet which is holding up the release of the Nexus, HTC have asked people to mark early benchmarks results for the device as "pre production" software because of this.

While it's frustrating I don't mind Google taking time to ensure L roles out smoothly.

All pre-release units are run with non-final software... Lollipop will be released on the 3rd November along with the Nexus 9... nothing unusual about that.

The final software is being tested at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

54kroc wrote: »
    In what way?
    Personally I think both the new Nexus products are fine value for what they are but I don't see the point in comparing them with the Apple (or crapple as you say) equivalent.
    IOS is much better optimised than Android, and OS wise if you think about it there'd be a holy war if Microsoft were pushing out an OS that needed the spec of Android.

tbh before the end of the year I'm probably going to sell my M8 and Z2 tab to give the 6 Plus and Air 2 a go, I might be happier, I might not, at least I'll have had a go unlike the seemingly well informed people who have never bought nor will never buy a crapple product.

I have my reasons for detesting everything apple and I,m not getting into a pointless argument about what is the better os. I don't know why you think I am " seemingly well informed". there will always be people who prefer apple,android,Microsoft or whatever,thats their choice. my choice is android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Before throwing just under €400 at Google, is there better value to be had out there?

My Nexus 7 2012 is now a paperweight beyond repair so I'm suddenly in the market for a new tablet. Thing is, I don't really want to spend that sort of money...

The LG G Pad 8.3 looks good for the money and there's a good deal for it on Amazon.co.uk at the moment... What justifies the extra €180 or so that the N9 would cost me over that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Eponymous wrote:
    Before throwing just under €400 at Google, is there better value to be had out there?

I think the Nvidia Shield is a good bet. Close to stock Android and Nvidia have a great track record for updates. Pc game streaming if you have a recent Nvidia card and nice build and great specs for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I think the Nvidia Shield is a good bet. Close to stock Android and Nvidia have a great track record for updates. Pc game streaming if you have a recent Nvidia card and nice build and great specs for the price.

Looks like a brilliant device. Just watched a cpl of review vids and it's awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Another alternative, at a cheaper price point, is the Xiaomi Mi pad.
    Depends on whether you like MIUI 5/6.

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_pad_7_9-review-1121p10.php

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/15/5719786/xiaomi-mipad-is-a-plastic-ipad-mini-for-android-lovers

http://www.ibuygou.com/p-xiaomi_mipad_nvidia_tegra_k1_quad_core_2_2ghz_5_0_8_0_mp_2gb_ram_64gb_6700mah_7_9_inch_gorilla_iii_ips_capacitive_touchscreen-6195.html

It was on my shortlist along with the Shield but personally I feel the fake apple overlay would annoy me more than using iOS. For those who like using the likes of Nova launcher it could be an option. As I'm using both android and apple devices daily I prefer to keep all android devices on the same OS and UI, for this reason I think I'll continue with the Nexus devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Here's the first hands-on that I've seen!

That 4:3 aspect ratio of it all is what worries me about it.
    Very strange choice.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    That 4:3 aspect ratio of it all is what worries me about it.
    Very strange choice.

Nothing strange about it, the best selling tablet on the market has the same aspect ratio and its apparently better for productivity.

Big plus for devs as they will be able to bring over assets made for the iPad ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

4:3 is the better orientation for a tablet imo. I was never a fan of the strange ratio the previous nexus 7's used. Looked like a blown up phone, this new nexus looks like the perfect size. I've a feeling this will be very popular, the only thing that doesn't look too good is video, but you forget about the black bars quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nothing strange about it, the best selling tablet on the market has the same aspect ratio and its apparently better for productivity.

Big plus for devs as they will be able to bring over assets made for the iPad ect.

I don't know beno, if you're going for productivity, then maybe it's fine.

But I would be buying something like this for video usage. Most content on the web is produced in 16:9 these days and would need to be letterboxed, looking awful. I feel it's a step back, but maybe I'm judging too harshly and should wait and see how it pans out :)

It'll definitely divide people's opinions, that's for sure :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

My head will probably roll after this comment but after looking at the nvidia shield I think it's a far nicer looking tablet. More screen real estate than borders. And almost identical spec while €100 cheaper and 4g option.
    I'm sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I agree, Peter, that Shield is a nice tablet too. I expect it might grab the attention of many looking to upgrade from Nexus 7.
    The Tegra K1 inside Shield is 32 bit but quadcore. K1 inside Nexus 9 is dual core. Depending on the app's ability to use the two extra cores, Shield might outperform it. Not enough hands on info from tech sites yet to know whether or which really.

I do think that it was a bad idea of Nvidia to bundle the 32GB version with LTE though. That must have added at least €50-€60 onto the price. Imagine how many may want a 32GB Wifi only Shield but are put off by the ~€100 price difference between the 16GB Wifi and the 32GB LTE model. (Yes, I know 16GB Shield has a micro-sd slot, but internal storage IMO is better.)

corkie wrote: »

I never liked those cases that covered the bezel. I,m gonna wait to see what moko comes up with,something like the moko case i have for my nexus 7 would be perfect for me.

duridian wrote: »
    I agree, Peter, that Shield is a nice tablet too. I expect it might grab the attention of many looking to upgrade from Nexus 7.
    The Tegra K1 inside Shield is 32 bit but quadcore. K1 inside Nexus 9 is dual core. Depending on the app's ability to use the two extra cores, Shield might outperform it. Not enough hands on info from tech sites yet to know whether or which really.

The Dual core would be miles ahead in terms of single core perfrmance while edging the Quad core in multicore going on benchmarks ive seen.

Have Amazon UK revised their shipping date?
    Now showing:This item will be released on December 15, 2014.

Pretty sure that wasn't the case when I pre ordered?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OIHRWW0?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=1X4RFW2QPXWEEESAC11V&pf_rd_p=540857007&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=nexus%209&qid=1414169519

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OIHRWW0?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=1X4RFW2QPXWEEESAC11V&pf_rd_p=540857007&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=nexus%209&qid=1414169519

I ordered from the playstore and my shipping date is still the same (nov 3rd). Could be a misprint on amazon? Or maybe demand was higher than expected and the playstore orders get preference?

I ordered from the playstore and my shipping date is still the same (nov 3rd). Could be a misprint on amazon? Or maybe demand was higher than expected and the playstore orders get preference?

Hopefully it's just a case where Amazon's initial stock is already allocated.
    I ordered 17/10 and just checked the order itself under 'My account/orders"
    It is still showing:

Not yet dispatched
    Delivery estimate: Friday, 7 November 2014 - Saturday, 8 November 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭corkie

That date shown is very new people purchasing. Check your order's for your shipping date.

When did you pre-order? Pre-order was not available for a while. So that date is for the next shipment amazon is expecting.

Looking to expand the storage? Some people might like this device: -

Dash Micro for Android

• Advertisement

Anyone else who ordered from amazon get this e-mail today?
    Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

"HTC 8.9 inch Nexus 9 Tablet - (Black) (ARM 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB Memory, Wi-Fi, Android v5.0)"
    Estimated arrival date: December 18 2014 - December 20 2014

Edit: I cancel my order with amazon, and placed one with google play. Which works out cheaper than amazon.

Just received the same mail from Amazon.
    I'll leave the Amazon order open and if I can source earlier locally or direct via Play store will cancel before Amazon ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

My Amazon Order has moved to Dec 19th-20th too. Slightly worrying as it is an Christmas present.

Here's a good thread from reddit for those affected by the amazon change of shipping date.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2ka1jk/amazon_uk_just_changed_the_expected_delivery_date/

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I just reordered on Google play. Don't want to wait for my first gen nexus 7 is just so slow. Also was like 20 euro cheaper so don't mind too much. Would have been raging if I couldn't get it on google play though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I read online that it seems Googles entire batch of tablets were faulty and they're having to be remade!

Another person said the stock in American was too low so Google had to funnel stock from Europe to compensate!

I read online that it seems Googles entire batch of tablets were faulty and they're having to be remade!

Another person said the stock in American was too low so Google had to funnel stock from Europe to compensate!

^^^^^ Above info, I believe is just rumors posted on reddit? Any official sources?

But maybe demand has been so high on Google Play, that google pulled the stock from amazon.

Sounds like speculation and conjecture... I don't believe a word of it.

The explanation is probably allot more simple... such as preorders exceeding expectations etc... remember that they are launching this in India as well and if it has any level of popularity there it would mean a huge amount of orders.

BTW, you do realise that 97% of redit users are teenagers with overactive imaginations, little knowledge of the world and blisters on their palms...

32GB Black now out of stock on playstore!

White 32gb and both 16gb version still available.

Glad I place my order in time today, when I got the above email(previous post) from amazon.

• Advertisement

That was on the reddit thread on the link i posted, more than likely an ishill stirring things up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That was on the reddit thread on the link i posted, more than likely an ishill stirring things up.

Seen it a few places.

Yeah I'm guessing it's just pure speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

Just after pre-ordering one of these from the play store, lets hope it doesn't get delayed like the above speculation suggests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Lads was gonna order one of these on the play store to replace my 2012 n7 which is painfully slow now..do we still have to use a vpn and parcel motel or can we just order from the play store without any of that hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

celticsfan wrote: »
    Lads was gonna order one of these on the play store to replace my 2012 n7 which is painfully slow now..do we still have to use a vpn and parcel motel or can we just order from the play store without any of that hassle?

I ordered direct to my door through the Play store.

celticsfan wrote: »

If you order through the Irish Playstore they will be delivered from a Dublin address. At least that's where the email I received for my order says I have purchased from.

So no need for a VPN or Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Cheers lads,off to order one so..hopefully they will get them back in stock soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Bit of a disappointment that this is not in bargain territory like the previous two Nexus 7 Tablets, any suggestions as to a cheaper half decent tablet?

I had both the Nexus 7 2012 + 2013 but have since sold them.

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Bit of a disappointment that this is not in bargain territory like the previous two Nexus 7 Tablets, any suggestions as to a cheaper half decent tablet?

I had both the Nexus 7 2012 + 2013 but have since sold them.

As mention earlier in the thread, the Nvidia Shield Tablet is another popular option.

Would have gotten that if I wasn't buying the Nexus 9.

Edit: -
    Google play store now showing nexus 9 32gb as "out of inventory, check back soon" ! Glad I are ordered on the 17th Oct.

Just the Black 32gb is out of stock. White 32gb and both 16gb still available.

Just wondering what people are going to be doing with there old Nexus 7?

Use it as e-book reader, wipe/factory reset and pass it on to a relative/friend.

Or try an sell it, 2012 Nexus 7 would be very lucky to fetch €50

Mine will be come a chromecast remote and e-book reader

Google play store now showing nexus 9 32gb as "out of inventory, check back soon" ! Glad I are ordered on the 17th Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Does anyone know if the nexus 9 will be available in many bricks and mortar stores in the USA?

Does anyone know if the nexus 9 will be available in many bricks and mortar stores in the USA?

No, I don't think that they will be sold in Builders Providers...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    No, I don't think that they will be sold in Builders Providers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_and_mortar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Black are only out of stock.

I ordered a white 32GB just now.

Ludo wrote: »
    Black are only out of stock.

I ordered a white 32GB just now.

yeah, meant to say the black model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Just an update lads. I was getting this after selling my nexus 10, but the price has really knocked my enthusiasm for it. I was north of the border last week and went in and had a go of the tesco hudl for 129 sterling. 5 minutes of messing with it had me sold on it. 16 gig plus sd card slot. Quad core Intel processor and lovely HD screen. I just put the Google Now Launcher from the play store on it and it's brilliant. Just can't feckin justify the Google price lads.

I'm a huge nexus fan, but now using a oneplus phone and tesco pad. I wonder how many other lads are out?

I'm still in. Wouldn't give Tescos the steam off my piss!

I think, the Nexus 9 is made specifically for me... although I'll be moving from a 10" to 9". The only thing that would possibly change my mind, is if HTC came out with their own tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Mine is a combined birthday and christmas present for the wife who loves my Nexus 7 compared to her old samsung tab2. Wouldn't pay this much for myself to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I'll be over in Canada/US in November. Might take a look in-store and see what the euro conversion rate is on the day. It's a little pricey in UK£/EUR€. Upgrading from 2012 N7...

Is it possible to read files from a USB OTG drive on nexus devices without root?

Because I don't mind the 16GB version if I am able to put movies on a USB drive

• Advertisement
Advertisement